PDA

View Full Version : Any way to reset HDD1/SSD1 Password?

MSgherzi
10-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Long story short, one evening my personal laptop was getting a BSOD on boot with any medium. After not being able to access the HDD I bought a brand new drive. I had the same issue with the new drive so I roamed through my BIOS and changed I believe "SATA Controller Mode" from "AHCI" to "Compatibility" and suddenly I could boot my XP disc and start the format/reload process on the new HDD.

Well, not I was curious if my old drive would work again. Now for some reason it asks me at right after POST for my "HDD1/SSD1 Password," somethiing I never even created. I tried my BIOS password and my password for my Windows account on that particular drive, neither working. Those are the only two passwords I've ever set. I removed my BIOS pw and still nothing. I tried booting UBCD4Win and then hotswapping the drive in once the CD booted (bad idea I know, but I'm rather desperate), but it's not being detected.

Anything you guys can think of here? I just need to try and re-image the drive if possible.

My specs are as follows:

Toshiba Tecra A11-S3530
Only about 5 months old.

Thanks in advance.

B Trevathan
10-21-2010, 09:00 AM
The hard drive password (ATA password) is different from the bios, start up or windows passwords. I don't think you can do anything with the drive while it is locked, not even formatting it. I think the hard drive password can be set by malware so heads up.

There have been post here about the very few people that offer the service of resetting a hard drive password just search for it. I think the cheapest was for $10 at http://www.acersnoop.co.cc/ There is one place (I can't remember where) that if you go the cheap route they erase everything on the drive when they reset the password, but if you pay more they reset the password and don't erase everything.

MobileTechie
10-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Some laptops use the boos pw as the hdd password so if you had one set prior to resetting it you could try that. Or call Toshiba. some drives can be reset by updating their firmware. Or there is a site that claims to clear it with no loss of data.

gazza
10-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Have you tried Killcmos!

MobileTechie
10-21-2010, 10:16 AM
killcmos just resets your cmos. It won't have any effect on the HDD password.

iptech
10-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Have you run hardware diagnostics across the drive? Given the circumstances you describe I'm inclined to suspect this is a hardware fault with the controller card, at least you should be able to get a replacement drive under warranty.

4ycr
10-21-2010, 11:52 AM
does the hard drive work on another machine?

MSgherzi
10-21-2010, 07:47 PM
does the hard drive work on another machine?

As I mentioned, it doesn't. It does not boot at the primary drive nor does it appear when it connect it via USB.

I contacted that website where they can apparently unlock it for you, for a fee. I'm going to see what his response is. He was banned from here for advertising, but as it looks, it seems like his business is pretty legit. In the meantime I'm going to give MHDD a try and see if it can unlock my HDD for me. I'll post back my results.

Vitalij
10-21-2010, 08:50 PM
if its really ATA locked, then the only chances are to unlock it is to, use some hdd unlocking services like "aff repair station" or "hdd unlock wizard", or replace the PCB of the hdd.

gazza
10-22-2010, 12:57 AM
killcmos just resets your cmos. It won't have any effect on the HDD password.

Are you sure about that!

dannyd
10-22-2010, 02:36 AM
Are you sure about that!

Yes it won't remove a hard drive password only a bios password

gazza
10-22-2010, 02:56 AM
No worries, I guess it's only worth a try.

I thought this link might be helpful if you have a seagate HD

http://www.seagateunlock.com/

MSgherzi
10-22-2010, 10:25 AM
I can't remember any exact specifics, but the HDD in question is an Hitachi SATA drive.

Vitalij
10-25-2010, 03:31 PM
yeah, killcmos wont remove the hdd password only bios.

I have an a video on my channel, that demonstrates how the hatachi drives can be unlocked with PC 3000(PC3K) hardware utility. VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5UczkKoi20)