PDA

View Full Version : Search Engine Optimisation

Simmy
03-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Does anyone have any tips for helping to increase the page ranking of our websites? :) Is it just a matter of getting your website listed on as many sites as possible?

I've had companies guarantee that they can get me in the top 10 search results for "Bristol computer repair", but I've always wondered how they do it (not enough to pay them £800 though!).

Also, when you type in "Bristol computer repair" the first results are usually google maps with links to local computer repair companies. Any ideas how you increase your ranking on there too?

hawks5999
03-19-2008, 12:33 AM
http://seotips.org/

There is a pretty broad science to SEO. Likely worth paying a professional.

I'd refer you to www.clocktowermedia.com as they are experts at SEO.

rurbaniak
03-19-2008, 04:25 AM
Does anyone have any tips for helping to increase the page ranking of our websites? :) Is it just a matter of getting your website listed on as many sites as possible?

I've had companies guarantee that they can get me in the top 10 search results for "Bristol computer repair", but I've always wondered how they do it (not enough to pay them £800 though!).

Also, when you type in "Bristol computer repair" the first results are usually google maps with links to local computer repair companies. Any ideas how you increase your ranking on there too?

Definitely not worth paying for. You can do this easily by yourself. The phrase "Bristol computer repair" is not a highly sought after one, so you can achieve top 10 pretty easy. If you are serious about learning SEO, check out seobook.com, great book, lots of stuff to learn, it can be overwhelming, but once it starts sinking in, no big deal. The hardest part is actually sticking to it and doing it.

And to answer your question, getting links back into your site is just one way to help. Links from other web sites should be from related content as well. One way to do this is to write an article and put it on Digg.

Another important item is to put keywords in your Page Title. Each page on your site should have a unique title based on the pages content and your most important keywords.

Take a look at my home page: http://digitaldvs.com

The page title is: Michigan Computer Services, Downriver, Allen Park

Because of this page title, we rank in google on the following:

allen park computer services - 2nd out of 387,000

downriver computer services - 4th out of 20,300

michigan computer services - 25th out of 1,640,000

So really isn't that hard to rank high in low competition keywords..

MrMille
03-19-2008, 10:54 AM
nice site, and how did you get those rankings?

off topic, what remote solution do you use?

focuz
03-20-2008, 01:30 AM
Reading up on some research is better then most free tools youll find, but one website I really like is websitegrader.com

It gets you in the right direction.

MrMille
03-20-2008, 10:14 AM
super link focuz, cheers!

cmonova
03-20-2008, 12:33 PM
That is a great site to use as a reference, but be careful on the results. You will find other sites do the same things. Problem is if you keep trying to change your site according to what those reports say you may hurt yourself in the long run.

When doing optimization you have to continually tweak things. But, the most important thing is to make sure your site is coded correctly to begin with. Otherwise it will mess with your rankings.

We service 4 major cities. I am not putting the cities because I think these forums are picked up in searches and don’t want to reflect such. If anyone needs to see the exact cities I am talking about feel free to pm/email me and I’ll give you them.

In GOOGLE we rank:

CITY computer repair – 1st out of 50,200
CITY computer repair – 7th out of 122,000
CITY computer repair – 1st out of 80,100
CITY computer repair – 1st out of 105,000
STATE computer repair – 1st out of 227,000

In YAHOO we rank:

CITY computer repair – 3rd out of 421,000
CITY computer repair – 3rd out of 1,290,000
CITY computer repair – 4th out of 584,000
CITY computer repair – 11th out of 1,250,000
STATE computer repair – 3rd out of 13,000,000

We also do very well in the other search engines i.e. aol, msn, etc. It is important to make sure you are not seo'ing for one specific search engine.

Jory
03-20-2008, 11:09 PM
If your main goal is just to be the 1st result for "Bristol Computer Repair" then link to your main page using that phrase from high PR sites. For example maybe you could write a couple articles and submit them to tech related places and then have "Bristol Computer Repair" linked at the end under your name, etc.

There is no big secret to search engine placement. The more people linking to you with high PR using certain phrases the better your placement will be for those searches.

MrMille
03-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Holy Cow! is it that easy to get an article link on a PR6 site? :D :rolleyes:

cmonova
03-20-2008, 11:44 PM
If your main goal is just to be the 1st result for "Bristol Computer Repair" then link to your main page using that phrase from high PR sites. For example maybe you could write a couple articles and submit them to tech related places and then have "Bristol Computer Repair" linked at the end under your name, etc.
There is no big secret to search engine placement. The more people linking to you with high PR using certain phrases the better your placement will be for those searches.

Jory...I do not think it is that easy otherwise everyone would do it ;)
Obviously a one-way link is great. Try to find a PR 6 willing to give you a one-way link for no reason...Not very often that will happen.

You are right there is no secret but there is work to be done. If it was that easy everyone would have a pr6 and nobody would care who is #1.

Simmy
04-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Sorry to drag this back up. Thanks for the link and info everyone. I've modified my site slightly based on the tutorials I've read, so i just have to wait and see how that goes.

In attempt to boost the number of hits on my website I have purchased the domains bristolpcrepair.com and bristolcomputerrepair.com. My logic is that these are the top keywords when people do a google search. Will this help my page ranking at all or have I just spent £20 on domains for nothing?

I've also asked my local newspaper if I can write a weekly article for them. Hopefully they will use the article online aswell and I can improve my ranking that way.

MrMille
04-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Setup 301 or 302 redirectors so they point to your mainsite.
If you don't do this, Google may split your page rank between the three sites.
Which would be a bad thing.
Fair play for buying those domains.

Simmy
04-25-2008, 12:05 PM
My hosting company has already pointed the domain to my mainsite e.g. www.bristolpcrepair.com. But the address bar still displays bristolpcrepair.com rather than smg-computers.com though. Is that not right?

justpcsupport
04-25-2008, 08:11 PM
I read somewhere that the longer a domain is registered for it helps increase your ranking, so if you register it for an additional 1 or 2 it might help, and sure beats the 800 price,

Just another thought.

focuz
04-26-2008, 01:57 AM
My hosting company has already pointed the domain to my mainsite e.g. www.bristolpcrepair.com. But the address bar still displays bristolpcrepair.com rather than smg-computers.com though. Is that not right?

Sounds like they setup a parked domain. As your domain name stays the same. What you want to setup is just a simple domain name forward.

nonchalant
04-26-2008, 03:10 AM
Ive just setup a new website www.trustport.com.au (http://www.trustport.com.au) and am going though the process of promoting my site. It certainly is time-consuming but a LOT of fun.

Ive found this site an excellent help http://www.submitexpress.com/ in refining my keywords using their free web analyzer. Ive managed to get my metatag title up to 100% and my description tag up to 94% after many hours of trial and error.

This program is just amazing www.visitorville.com (http://www.visitorville.com) for watching and monitoring visitors to your site. You can actually watch them surf in real time, playback visits, as well as get a lot of info on how they got to the site, who referred them, etc, etc..its like Sim City for webmasters lol

Simmy
04-26-2008, 07:22 PM
The 301 redirect was confusing me so I've kinda bodged the php to make it work. Using a basic redirect with .htaccess, the redirect entered an endless loop. Basically if the domain wasn't www.smg-computers.com then I wanted to redirect it to that. I believe the code would be;

RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^.*bristolpcrepair\.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.smg-computers.com/$1 [R=301,L]

However, because they link to the same webspace it kept on redirecting. What was I doing wrong? This is how I got around it;

if ($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] != "www.smg-computers.com")
{
Header("HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently");
Header("Location:http://www.smg-computers.com");
}
?>

http://www.submitexpress.com/

Very useful link nonchalant :) I got my title to 100%, description and keywords to 83%. It also made me notice that I'd placed the </head> tag before the <title> tag in my code, so it wasn't registering a title :mad: That must have affected my page ranking somewhat.

nonchalant
04-27-2008, 12:48 AM
Yea its very handy. I finally got my description suitability to 100%. In the end actually deleting part of the description metatag brought it up from the 93% I seemed to be stuck on. My site content, keywords and metatags is now rating as good to excellent on most simulators so Im pretty happy. Just need some very minor fine tuning with metags/keywords and Im done (until such time as I change or add content that is lol).

WebCeo is another good program that helped me refine my site.

TimeCode
07-10-2008, 07:27 AM
LSI keywords are gaining in how inportant they are and they also suggest some decently searched keywords that can help in your quest for higher ranking. I am on this quest and have seen my own scores rising but I need to put more time into it.

be sure to check out http://www.seobook.com/archives/000657.shtml and http://www.seobook.com/archives/001907.shtml

Tim

MrMille
07-10-2008, 11:11 AM
LSI? LSI?

message too short apparently

TimeCode
07-10-2008, 06:08 PM
@MrMille,

Do you not see the rest of my previous post? I can. If you can't, send me a PM and I'll post it again.

Tim

nonchalant
07-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Very useful link nonchalant :) I got my title to 100%, description and keywords to 83%. It also made me notice that I'd placed the </head> tag before the <title> tag in my code, so it wasn't registering a title :mad: That must have affected my page ranking somewhat.

Yea, thats one of the things I really like about it. It picks up errors like that (eg it picked up I had a , in the wrong place in my keywords) & playing around with your meta description for example, to get to 100%, you can end up with a totally different description from what you started with, but at the same time the description you end up with is always a better description than what you started with :D

I have had all 3 ratings at 100% for some time now, but since I modified my homepage recently the best I can get my description to is 97%. It probably just means I need to remove a few words from the description..

Simmy
08-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Well I've somehow manged to get on the front page under the search result for "bristol computer repair" :D I'm not sure how or what I did, but I must be doing something right.

Link (http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=bristol+computer+repair&btnG=Google+Search&meta=) - Look for SMG Computers.

My rank changes every hour though as it's sometimes 4th on the page, sometimes 8th and sometimes at the bottom.

I don't know why it's worked for "Bristol computer repair" but it doesn't appear to have worked for "Bristol pc repair" where I'm still on page 3 :( Does anyone have any advice?

Also I'm still having no luck with the Google Local Business' section at the top of the search results. Getting in there would be great :)

nonchalant
08-31-2008, 01:03 PM
My rank changes every hour though as it's sometimes 4th on the page, sometimes 8th and sometimes at the bottom.

Yea my rank showing in iGoogle can be 10 for a particular keyword, but 3 when I search it. Go figure.

Also recently, I was ranked 16th for a keyword (my main keyword) yet 2-5 for most of my similar keywords. I played around with my keywords and increased my optimisation from 97% to 100% according to http://www.submitexpress.com/analyzer/ then was back to rank 3 within a day or two. Doesnt make sense such a small improvement would make such a big difference.

I don't know why it's worked for "Bristol computer repair" but it doesn't appear to have worked for "Bristol pc repair" where I'm still on page 3 :( Does anyone have any advice?

Its the same for me when checking the keyword 'trustport pc security'. Almost anything else with the word 'trustport' in it ranks me in the top 5 yet for this keyword Im on page 2 or 3 (probably because 'trustport pc security' isnt mentioned much on my main page).

Also I'm still having no luck with the Google Local Business' section at the top of the search results. Getting in there would be great :)

I dont see a 'small business' section?

TechHelper
08-31-2008, 09:55 PM
PageRank isn't necessarily your rank in Google.

Google also explained PageRank as the chance you would land on a page simply by clicking random links and surfing the Web.

nonchalant
09-07-2008, 12:07 AM
Still on the topic of SEO Ive been playing with a few free tools, and one I came across was 'speed checker' (webpage load time). Apparently load times are a factor and I had noticed my site was taking 10 seconds or more to load sometimes on a ADSL2 connection. So Ive played around with my backend cache settings and got the load time down to about 1.7 secs :)

http://www.selfseo.com/website_speed_test.php

Simmy
10-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Well I had somehow made it to the front page of Google with my domain www.bristolcomputerrepair.com but then I made a small change to the title of the index page and it dropped off google completely :mad:

I have undone the changes I made, but it hasn't made its way back to the front yet. I'm pretty annoyed as it was bringing in more work. Is it likely to get back to the front page?

Also, I still don't understand the Local business section (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=bristol+computer+repair&fb=1&view=text&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=more-results&cd=1) - one company appears twice in the top 10 listing! I seem to flick between 4th and 6th page, which basically means no on will find me.

Any of you SEO guru's have any advice to offer? :p

nonchalant
10-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Well I had somehow made it to the front page of Google with my domain www.bristolcomputerrepair.com (http://www.bristolcomputerrepair.com) but then I made a small change to the title of the index page and it dropped off google completely :mad:

When you say it dropped off, what keywords are you gauging this by? Let me know & I'll see if I can offer any further suggestions.

Also, although your description relevancy is approx 94% (going by the tool I use) I notice only one of those words (onsite) is not already part of your meta description or title. In other words, you are just duplicating at the moment & gaining nothing by doing so (Google already uses the words in your title & description as your keywords). Your better off using keywords such as 'computer repair', 'onsite computer repair', 'repair service' and 'full insure computer repair' than single keywords. Keywords dont need to be single words only but can also be terms. Your really better off using no keywords at all than duplicating them (Google places more emphasis on the keywords you use and the more keywords - the less emphasis/importance it places on each keyword & vice-versa..) 'No call out fee' is another important keyword/term missing from your meta tags yet its a bold heading on your homepage? You should be using it - its a good search term prospective customers are likely to use. These changes should bring your keyword relevancy up from approx 89% to 100%. Through experience Ive found this seemingly small improvement can mean the difference between whether my site shows on the first or second page of google search results.

Your title relevancy is at 100%. I wouldnt change that in any way, but try a few small changes like I suggested and it should help. Let us know how you go. Im happy to help you further.

Edit: Btw, do you have a sitemap? It can help with Google ranking. I found this tool very simple & easy to use http://www.auditmypc.com/xml-sitemap.asp (you will need IE to use it).

cmonova
10-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Well I had somehow made it to the front page of Google with my domain www.bristolcomputerrepair.com but then I made a small change to the title of the index page and it dropped off google completely :mad:

I have undone the changes I made, but it hasn't made its way back to the front yet. I'm pretty annoyed as it was bringing in more work. Is it likely to get back to the front page?

Also, I still don't understand the Local business section (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=bristol+computer+repair&fb=1&view=text&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=more-results&cd=1) - one company appears twice in the top 10 listing! I seem to flick between 4th and 6th page, which basically means no on will find me.

Any of you SEO guru's have any advice to offer? :p

Our site comes up number 1&2 in google searches. As far as local listings we are actually listed 3 times in the top 10 there. The only thing I can think is when it's submitted I may of used different phone number or e-mail for verification.

Simmy
10-09-2008, 07:04 PM
When you say it dropped off, what keywords are you gauging this by? Let me know & I'll see if I can offer any further suggestions.

Also, although your description relevancy is approx 94% (going by the tool I use) I notice only one of those words (onsite) is not already part of your meta description or title. In other words, you are just duplicating at the moment & gaining nothing by doing so (Google already uses the words in your title & description as your keywords). Your better off using keywords such as 'computer repair', 'onsite computer repair', 'repair service' and 'full insure computer repair' than single keywords. Keywords dont need to be single words only but can also be terms. Your really better off using no keywords at all than duplicating them (Google places more emphasis on the keywords you use and the more keywords - the less emphasis/importance it places on each keyword & vice-versa..) 'No call out fee' is another important keyword/term missing from your meta tags yet its a bold heading on your homepage? You should be using it - its a good search term prospective customers are likely to use. These changes should bring your keyword relevancy up from approx 89% to 100%. Through experience Ive found this seemingly small improvement can mean the difference between whether my site shows on the first or second page of google search results.

Your title relevancy is at 100%. I wouldnt change that in any way, but try a few small changes like I suggested and it should help. Let us know how you go. Im happy to help you further.

Edit: Btw, do you have a sitemap? It can help with Google ranking. I found this tool very simple & easy to use http://www.auditmypc.com/xml-sitemap.asp (you will need IE to use it).

This was based on the key words "Bristol computer repair" and "Bristol pc repair". I've just managed to get my title, description and keywords relevancy upto 100% using your link.

I will try creating a sitemap now. Many thanks for your help :)

nonchalant
10-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Hi Simmy,

if you want to appear higher in the search results for those particular keywords try moving them forward in your title ie change your title to:

Bristol PC Repair For Home & Business - SMG Computers

This way google sees you have placed emphasis on 'Bristol PC Repair' (keywords people are likely to be using to search) rather than your business name (which they are less likely to be searching).

Also, try adding a few more keywords w/o reducing relevance. You dont have many atm. Try adding keywords such as 'computer repair' & 'computing problems'. I believe these are two 'biggies' still missing from your keywords atm & seeing as you still have room to add more keywords you may as well add these. Its free advertising space :D

TimeCode
10-15-2008, 02:27 PM
I just noticed that I am number 4 for the search term "computer network consulting" (#10 with and #4 without quotes) on Google. That term gets about 3100 searches per month and I'm pretty high on the first page!!!!!!! WOWEEEEEEEE! :D

I've worked at getting that keyword to be ranked. I'm thrilled!!!

cmonova
10-15-2008, 04:50 PM
These are monthly searches for “search terms” that we have sites built upon:

Search Term Google Overture/Yahoo! Microsoft Network
online computer repair 5,400 2,700 1,296
Ranked #3 Google
computer repair virginia 1,300 650 351
Ranked #4 Google
virginia computer repair 1,300 624 351
Ranked #4 Google
computer repair fredericksburg 91 47 21
Ranked #1 & 2 Google
computer repair fairfax 260 (Ranked #2 Google)0 130 60

TimeCode
10-16-2008, 02:39 PM
online computer repair 5,400 2,700 1,296
Ranked #3 Google

How did you get those test results? I have good ratings for a few keywords but I want a program that will accurately check the different search engines.

cmonova
10-16-2008, 11:58 PM
Tim,
I'll try to remember to look at my other computer if I bookmarked it. I use different sites for different keywork optimization checking.

Nextora
11-09-2008, 11:21 AM
How did you get those test results? I have good ratings for a few keywords but I want a program that will accurately check the different search engines.

Hi Tim,

I use WebPosition 4 to check my results. It isn't free but I am very happy with it. I schedule it to run a weekly report.

TimeCode
11-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Hi Tim,

I use WebPosition 4 to check my results. It isn't free but I am very happy with it. I schedule it to run a weekly report.
Thanks, I'll check it out right now.

nonchalant
11-12-2008, 08:17 AM
Simmy,

been keeping an eye on your SEO results & I noticed keyword relevancy dropped to 93% after you had all criteria at 100%.

Now from what I can see, the keywords you have recently added ie Bristol, Bath, Weston-Super-Mare arent even on your site anywhere?

Just as an expose on Google 'logic' for your benefit:

Google is interested in providing relevant links to searches. So two pointers:

1. Searchers are unlikely to search the keyword 'bath' (unless they want a bath to bathe in). Nor are they going to search the keyword 'Bristol' (unless they are potential tourists)
2. Even if people were searching these keywords, there would be plenty of sites out there that have been around a long time that have these words referenced on their sites numerous times, so Google wont rank you high on the search results.

So in other words, these keywords will be getting you ZERO hits, but at the same time you are 'pissing off' their robot (for want of a better word lol). The robot is seeing your keyword meta-tags but is (& this is the logic) is saying 'ok, but wheres the keywords in the site?'. So when it goes away & adds your results to the database it gives you MINUS points when it applies its algorithms.

If you want to get hits from these keywords you must put them on your site not just in your tags. But I would use keywords such as 'Bath computer repair' and 'Weston-Super-Mare computers' for example (words & phrases people are likely to be searching for), not singular words like you have at the moment, then add the words into your site (multiple times if necessary). Spamming words on your site is fine - just dont do it with your tags (this just makes the robot tired lol). Dont change the 'Bristol' keyword to bristol Computer repair' - its already in your description. Thats spamming. I'd just delete that one, unless perhaps you changed it to 'Bristol laptop repairs' (assuming this is what you do) then make sure 'Bristol laptop repairs' are words readily found on your site.

Also, I note you havent gained much in Google rankings since you improved your tags some weeks ago. This is frustrating. However, much of SEO is experimentation. You know your meta-tags are at 100% so this isnt the problem (if you make the changes I suggest). Currently your site is 'google-friendly'. Looking at your site, what I would do next is add more content. The word in SEO is - 'content is king'. Google loves sites with LOTS of content. And I mean text. If someone searches a keyword/phrase Google wants to list lots of sites with lots of content that matches that search. They want to stay No.1 - So, double up a bit ie say the same thing twice or 3 times if you must but make sure you spam your most important keywords. Remember: a keyword to Google isnt always one word. It can be several or a phrase (I recall early on in SEO how a couple of people criticised my site for too much text, but I stuck with it bearing in mind the fact not only content is king but Google is king too & if thats what Google wants, thats what Google gets. This philosiphy produced excellent results with my site climbing the ranks on a daily basis, hitting search result 2 on a number of keyword searches where it sits today).

So, what you need to find is a unique keyword/phrase. Have a think about what keywords your potential customers may be searching on. Try the searches yourself. When you find one that yields results not already taken by well known sites/brands, and the top search results are links to forum posts, run with that. There may not be as many people searching for 'Bristol PC computer repairers' as there are searching for 'computer repairs' but who wants someone in the Ukraine finding your site anyway, and Im sure theres still plenty searching for repairers in the Bristol area (but you could make a better judgement on that than me).

Be aware also, Google wants to provide 'rich' content to searches on specific words/terms - not links to forum posts. Put these keywords in your meta-tags & spam them on your site. Its all about helping Google list appropriate results for searches. Provide a site that matches search terms, for which there are currently poor results, make sure the sites rich in content (ie a site where people will feel they have found what they are searching for & want to stay for a while), with appropriate meta-tags & keywords for particular keywords, & Google will love you :D

Simmy
11-13-2008, 10:58 AM
I see what you're saying nonchalant. I've made a few amendments to my keywords which are now more relevant and all at 100% on the index page and "remote support" page :D I've simply removed the bath/weston-super-mare keywords, although they were in the content on the index page (right at the bottom) so I'm not sure why it didn't like them?

Using google analytics on my site and google's keywords tool, it appears people mostly search for "Bristol computer repair" rather than "Computer repair bristol" or any other variation using the words computer, pc, repair, bristol.

Bristol laptop repair appears to get poor search results. Infact I've just searched for "laptop repair bristol" and I appear first on the local business section! :eek: But I'm only on page 4 of the actual search results. Is it worth concentrating on "laptop repair bristol" keywords do you think?

All your help is really appreciated btw :) SEO is a minefield but you make it sound so easy!

nonchalant
11-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Hi Simmy,

first thing I would do is add about 50% more content to your site. This will increase your ranking for many of the search terms.

This link explains a bit about how google 'local business' ranking work http://www.fuelinteractive.com/blog/2008/05/the-google-blender-local-searc.cfm

You may be able to figure out from that why 'laptop repairs' is no.1 in results. Its not clear to me without looking into it further. It seems these results are somewhat independent of general results, as you can be no.1 in 'local business' but not even on the first page of general results?

As for what keywords to concentrate on. I'll have another look at this tonight when I have time & see if I can make a few suggestions.

Btw, you dont seem to have a link directory on your site. You can submit your site here http://www.build-reciprocal-links.com/ and for free or very cheaply get automatic links to your site. Heres mine http://www.trustport.com.au/directory.php - its in effect a 'hidden' page on my site that links to numerous other websites that link to me.

edit: Also, remove 'bristol computer repair' from your keyword tags. The phrase is already in your meta-description. Its doing nothing for you & the googlebot will simply see it as spam. Remember, the less keywords the greater the importance google places on them, so by removing this phrase you will increase the importance of your other keywords w/o detracting from this one in any way. I know its a hard ask - I hesitated to do it on my tags but I found when i did it didnt effect my results at all. Remember also, SEO is all about optimisation.

edit: Just looking at some of your competition, this site has a good idea (in my opinion) listing various common computer faults in a menu on the homepage http://www.gtwcmt.co.uk/Computer-repairs/Contact.htm# (though his links seem kinda dead). I think the concepts good as it encourages a visitor to see eg 'blue screen of death' listed immediately on the site, click the link to find out more, and he's browsing your site before he knows it, rather than possibly bouncing off. Adding a menu like this would allow you to add more content (expanding on the various errors). Just a thought if your looking for ideas.

Simmy
12-10-2008, 11:15 PM
I've added a bit more content as you suggested nonchalant and I will add some more in time. I've also validated my entire site using html strict 1.0 and validated the style sheet. There are no dead/missing/unreachable links and alot of the pages/directories have been renamed to be more relevant to the sites content.

Is the link directory definitely worth while? They're asking me for $49 as my site has a PR of less than 3 :( When you say remove "bristol computer repair", do you mean the individual keywords?

I've made a few changes to the directory structure of my website and as such, alot of the links on google are now out of date and don't link to anything. The site has been reindexed a couple of times since the changes were made but the old links still appear on google (they've been deleted from my web space). I've setup 301 redirects in htaccess for all of these pages - is this likely to affect my ranking at all? Will google eventually index my site properly so I can delete the redirects?

I've made so many changes that i've dropped to page 2 again :( Hopefully it will jump back up! This SEO business is actually really interesting and hopefully rewarding when you get it right :)

RyanMeray
12-11-2008, 03:08 AM
This thread is full of good stuff. When I was designing my webpage, SEO-friendly code was one of the requirements, so my menu system is plain text, my URLs have words in them and not abbreviations, and once I get the code finished, I'll have text-image replacement on all the major graphic portions along with breadcrumbs and that sorta thing.

A question about meta tag keywords, though. Am I supposed to be putting key combinations in single quotes, like 'city computer repair', or is it enough that I have city,computer,repair in the keywords, not necessarily next to each other?

Do single quotes link multiple words into a single keyword phrase or something?

Or should I ditch this altogether? A lot of the stuff I'm seeing these days says "Google doesn't use meta keywords anymore," etc.

nonchalant
12-11-2008, 06:29 AM
A question about meta tag keywords, though. Am I supposed to be putting key combinations in single quotes, like 'city computer repair', or is it enough that I have city,computer,repair in the keywords, not necessarily next to each other?

Im not sure theres a definitive answer for this (unless of course you work for Google & know how their algorithms work). The way I see it is go for keywords/phrases that are part of your site name/title/headings eg: if your website is called 'city computer repair' use that phrase. This way you get the benefit of searches for all 3 words individually AND a high search result for the phrase. Use the site I referenced to test your results. You will see that using this phrase AND the keywords separately adds nothing to your optimization. So in view of this your better off using the phrase. Also, what do you think your ranking would be for the keyword 'computer' on its own anyway and when you think about it who would search using that keyword on its own? What would they be looking for? At the same time, using a phrase would list you in the search results for 'computer repair' even if the word 'city' isnt in the search.

nonchalant
12-11-2008, 07:13 AM
Simmy,

first off, your site looks much better :)

I like the extra text on the homepage. Your links under 'services' look really good. You've made excellent use of pictures on each page too to detract from the text.

Add more content though. When I enter a page often only half of it is filled. Its true people dont like to scroll, but then they also like content so double it up in some areas, spamming your most important keywords where possible. Googlebot likes text. Think of it as pacman. It gobbles up text & keywords and looks sideways (to some degree) at pictures. Lots of text and a few pictures (with Alt-tags) to break it up makes for a happy robot :p AND a pleasant browsing experience.

Is the link directory definitely worth while? They're asking me for $49 as my site has a PR of less than 3 :( When you say remove "bristol computer repair", do you mean the individual keywords?

The $49 is worth every cent in my opinion. I have over 600 links now and at least 300 of them would be from BRL at a guess. $49 for me is less than an hours work (or the equivalent of selling 2 antivirus licenses).

And yes, I would remove bristol, computer repair, pc, onsite & laptop, as they are already in your title or description meta-tags. (try removing them then run the SEO tool - you should still be at 100%). Removing these duplications will free up room to add some more words not already covered by your title/description meta-tags. Use the tool to find other common words on your site (one I see straight away is 'bristol onsite repairs'. Perhaps you could add this phrase as 'bristol onsite computer repairs', but make sure this term is found several times at least on your site (including the word 'computer').

Rather than keep the keywords that are left I would try using words such as - virus removal, spyware removal, mobile pc repair bristol, & pc networking bristol (also emphasis these services a bit more on your site). But make sure you check the result of adding these keywords with the SEO tool. If you need to, add these keywords/phrases a few more times on your site. It seems these are the main type of services you offer so spam them on your site & link them to keywords in your meta-tags.

Keywords such as - upgrades, computing problems, slow, blue screens, crashing, onsite, home callout are too general. Your never going to rank high for these keywords. You want hits for people searching for your services in Bristol so team this word up with your services. Its all about figuring out what keyword terms people in Bristol are using when searching for your services. Someone in India may search the keyword 'blue screen' but they may be looking to fix the problem themselves & their not going to come to you if they dont find a fix. It can be hard but it really is a case of understanding the psyche of potential customers in your area, and what keywords or search terms they use when looking for a local repairer. You could delete all of your remaining keywords & add some new ones emphasising specific services and still get a 100% result in SEO.

I've made a few changes to the directory structure of my website and as such, alot of the links on google are now out of date and don't link to anything. The site has been reindexed a couple of times since the changes were made but the old links still appear on google (they've been deleted from my web space). I've setup 301 redirects in htaccess for all of these pages - is this likely to affect my ranking at all? Will google eventually index my site properly so I can delete the redirects?

I really wouldnt worry about this. Google will sort out its caching over time. The main thing is your current links work. I notice your 'remote support' link is dead. This is something you need to fix (if your not working on it already). A current sitemap will help google update its links to reflect your current site.

I've made so many changes that i've dropped to page 2 again :( Hopefully it will jump back up!

Again, I wouldnt worry. My site did the same after I made some changes. In my case, I removed a number of categories that I was linking to on BRL, as I read relevancy was important. Ive since put them back. If my PR goes back up it proves the number of links to my site is more important than relevancy.

This SEO business is actually really interesting and hopefully rewarding when you get it right :)

Yea I agree. :)

Edit: I also notice you have a heading 'Our services' on your homepage. Make this heading a hyperlink to http://www.bristolcomputerrepair.co.uk/bristol-computer-repair/computer-repair.php - this will save a visitor having to scroll back to the top of the page & click 'services' (people are generally lazy when it comes to web browsing). You could also link the homepage heading 'Bristol PC repair service' to http://www.bristolcomputerrepair.co.uk/bristol-computer-repair/onsite-pc-repair.php and on this page put your phone number and email address (at the top) or better still add another link on the 'onsite service & repair' page to your 'contact us' page.

RyanMeray
12-11-2008, 03:42 PM

You did the right thing with the 301 redirects. You shouldn't have a hit due to those.

RyanMeray
12-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Holy SEO, Batman! My site, which until a couple days ago consisted of exactly two pages (and even now is like...5? 6?), has a 3 pagerank! WOOHOO!

Now I just gotta get some content on it. lol

JRDtechnet
12-12-2008, 01:56 AM
Here are some of my google rankings

NJ Computer repair: 2
New Jersey computer repair: 4
remote computer repair: 12
remote pc repair: 8
onsite computer repair: 17
laptop repair new jersey: 5
computer repair: 57
dc power jack repair: 20
pc repair: 33
Forked River computer repair: 1st local business, 6 organic (but im the first actually business site rest are directories) - this is my home town
Toms River computer repair: 3 (biggest municipality in the county)
ocean county computer repair: 9
computer repair onsite: 9
computer repair remote: 10
computer repair in new jersey: 6
dc power jack repair nj: 3
new jersey onsite computer repair: 2
cosmetic laptop repair: 3
it tech for onsite virus removal nj: 3
ocean county nj computer: 9
laptop repair nj: 4
laptop repair ocean county: 1
notebook repair nj: 2
new jersey laptop repair: 5

There might be a few more. I must be doing something right because everyone loves to copy my techniques. I started titling my site 'New Jersey Computer Repair...' and everyone else followed suite.

JRDtechnet
12-12-2008, 02:15 AM
Oh Simmy, get those crap links off your page (like that google page rank checker) google is punishing you, you don't get a pagerank of 0 unless your doing something google doesn't like. Everyone starts out with a no page rank, a grey bar in google toolbar and then after awhile google will assign a pagerank of 1. Normally pagerank doesn't affect serps but it the violation is serious google may dock you. Oh and put a no-follow attribute to every outbound link.

Another thing, your meta description is way too short. Are you using google webmaster tools? most important things in google in no particular order: 1. url, 2. site title, 3. meta description. 4. First paragraph of site 5. header tags (change those h3 tags to h2 and use css to adjust the font size if you want it to be the same size)

RyanMeray
12-12-2008, 03:34 AM
Okay, from a usuability perspective, I'm a little torn with how to organize my services section.

I want to segment the pages for home and business services, so having separate documents to break those down goes without saying. I figure from a simplicity standpoint, I offer a page, say "/services.html", which contains a brief rundown of the business services and home services, with links on the page to go to "/business/services.html" and "/home/services.html"

Let's take the business page as an example. I've got 6 or so services I'll be enumerating there, now do I want to write teaser summaries on each, and then force them to click another link to take them to a page that ONLY covers that service, or do I just want to list all of the services on the page togther?

From a usability standpoint, the less clicks the better, and if there's shortcuts at the top of the page for the stuff further down, then the page length shouldn't be an issue.

But on the other hand, from an SEO standpoint, having one topic per page, and vastly increasing the number of pages in my site would seem to have some nice SEO dividends.

Would there be a penalty for redundant information, if the services page contained all of the information, but also contained link to standalone pages with each specific service?

I hope this wasn't too confusing. I can't think of a better way to describe the question, so apologies in advance.

Simmy
12-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Oh Simmy, get those crap links off your page (like that google page rank checker) google is punishing you, you don't get a pagerank of 0 unless your doing something google doesn't like. Everyone starts out with a no page rank, a grey bar in google toolbar and then after awhile google will assign a pagerank of 1. Normally pagerank doesn't affect serps but it the violation is serious google may dock you. Oh and put a no-follow attribute to every outbound link.

Are you just referring to the 2 links in the footer (which i've now made hidden)? Or the other links like (info) aswell? I only put them on yesterday and I heard a computer related link exchange directory would help?

Another thing, your meta description is way too short. Are you using google webmaster tools? most important things in google in no particular order: 1. url, 2. site title, 3. meta description. 4. First paragraph of site 5. header tags (change those h3 tags to h2 and use css to adjust the font size if you want it to be the same size)

Yep, I'm using webmaster tools. I heard that the shorter the description, the more emphesis it placed on the words (ontop of the order of the words being important). If I was to pad it out just to make it longer, wouldn't that detract from the main keywords I want to use? Cheers, I forgot I was using h3 tags :)

Simmy
12-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Keywords such as - upgrades, computing problems, slow, blue screens, crashing, onsite, home callout are too general. Your never going to rank high for these keywords. You want hits for people searching for your services in Bristol so team this word up with your services. Its all about figuring out what keyword terms people in Bristol are using when searching for your services. Someone in India may search the keyword 'blue screen' but they may be looking to fix the problem themselves & their not going to come to you if they dont find a fix. It can be hard but it really is a case of understanding the psyche of potential customers in your area, and what keywords or search terms they use when looking for a local repairer. You could delete all of your remaining keywords & add some new ones emphasising specific services and still get a 100% result in SEO.

So if I add "bristol blue screen" or "pc networking bristol", is that not duplicating a keyword already in my meta description?

I notice your 'remote support' link is dead. This is something you need to fix (if your not working on it already). A current sitemap will help google update its links to reflect your current site.

Sorry, which remote support link is that? :)

Simmy
12-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Holy SEO, Batman! My site, which until a couple days ago consisted of exactly two pages (and even now is like...5? 6?), has a 3 pagerank! WOOHOO!

Now I just gotta get some content on it. lol

Nice one :) Is your domain name relatively new?

I can't really offer any advice on your other query I'm afraid. I've put a brief description of my services onto one page and then put 10 or so other pages to describe each service in greater detail. But then my site is PR 0 so I probably wouldn't listen to me :p But more content, more pages and duplicating your important keywords sounds like a good thing to me. I would avoid copying the wording on the services page onto the individual pages - perhaps rephrase each service description so google doesn't see it as a copy.

JRDtechnet
12-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Are you just referring to the 2 links in the footer (which i've now made hidden)? Or the other links like (info) aswell? I only put them on yesterday and I heard a computer related link exchange directory would help?:)

Making it hidden is even worse!!
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66353

If you really have to have those links on your site unhide them and use the 'no follow' attribute.

Simmy
12-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Some places say link exchange is good for your serp and others says it's bad. I'll try it with the link directory for a few weeks and see how it goes.

I can't set the 'no follow' attribute or the link exchange doesn't work. Plus I've unhidden it now!

JRDtechnet
12-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Some places say link exchange is good for your serp and others says it's bad. I'll try it with the link directory for a few weeks and see how it goes.

I can't set the 'no follow' attribute or the link exchange doesn't work. Plus I've unhidden it now!

why won't it work with the no follow?

Simmy
12-12-2008, 03:10 PM
The link exchange place verifies the html and if it's been altered they disable your link exchange account.

RyanMeray
12-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Nice one :) Is your domain name relatively new?

I registered the domain when I first incorporated, in 2005, but up until late 2006, the only thing on the site was a "coming soon" image. I updated the site in late 2006 to include an index page with some basic text that described the company, along with more "coming soon" stuff. I also threw up the link to my Angie's List profile, and for a while, that was the only outbound link on my site.

Then a few months ago I added the marketing page with links to the profiles of my company on other sites. Until earlier this week, there wasn't anything more than those 2 pages, and no menu either.

I've been hammering out content now as fast as I can so I can have something to show before the next time the Google fairy visits. lol

nonchalant
12-13-2008, 10:51 AM
So if I add "bristol blue screen" or "pc networking bristol", is that not duplicating a keyword already in my meta description?

It is, however, duplication of some keywords is almost unavoidable and if they really are 'key words' is acceptable, provided they are contained in a keyword phrase that is also found on your site. But your better off trying to find a few keywords/phrases that arent in your tags already.

If you want to use these keywords try phrases such as 'bristol computer networking' or ' bristol home computer networking' or ' bristol business computer networking' (just dont use all 3 phrases).

What you want to avoid is 'bristol pc repair' in your title meta-tag or description and the word or phrase 'pc repair' (for example) in your keywords. Its also not just the words but the order in which you list them in your tags compared to how they appear on your site that matters too ie if you have the term 'bristol computer networking' mentioned on your site dont use the phrase 'computer networking bristol' in your tags. You may have seen in google search results where a term you searched was noted in bold under a listing in your search results. This is commonly a direct 'snapshot' off the site listed and matches your search term exactly. Try doing the same with your meta-tags.

Sorry, which remote support link is that? :)

Link works fine now :)

RyanMeray
12-13-2008, 04:19 PM
So here's my burning question now:

I ran across this one website (won't give them any traffic) where they had a frontpage link called "Cities," which points to a subdirectory on the site that is merely a listing of HTML files. About 200+ of them, with names in this scheme:

City-State-Zip-Computer-Repair.html

They basically enumerated every zip code in this city, and every surrounding city, and each page has the same content, except for the part in the page where it matches the URL's specific location.

So, just to make up an example, there's

Springfield-MO-44444-Computer-Repair.htm
Springfield-MO-44445-Computer-Repair.htm
Troy-MO-44470-Computer-Repair.htm

and so on. And if you click on the first one, in the text of the page, the only difference between it and any of the others is the part where they say "We offer Computer Repair in Springfield, MO 44444," or whatever.

Now, these guys have an Alexa rank that is about 30% higher than mine, they have 300+ indexed pages to my 3 or so. The only real advantage my site has is that since I'm on a lot of forums, and my sig contains my URL, I have an insane number of inbound links, probably 10:1 compared to them.

And their Pagerank is a 2. Mine is a 3.

Is it safe to assume that I only have a higher pagerank due to my inbound links, or do you think Google might be penalizing them for having 200 pages with essentially duplicate content?

I was contemplating doing something similar with this (I imagine it could be really easy if I generate the filenames in a spreadsheet, and call and parse the filename for display somehow using SSI), but I don't want to upset the almighty Google gods.

MrMille
12-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Google is doing them for duplicate content

RyanMeray
12-17-2008, 03:00 AM
Is a non-paid linkback system like the one detailed here (http://www.michiganbusiness.us/index.php?nic=topofcategory) the kind of thing Google dings you for? You put a link to their site on your site, and they move you up in their directory ranking.

Think one could get away with a 'nofollow' link? ;)

Simmy
12-18-2008, 10:47 AM
I've just checked my Google SERP and I'm back near the top for most keywords :D Just in time for Christmas too!

Bristol computer repair - 2nd on serp
Bristol laptop repair - 1st on local map section
Bristol pc repair - 1st page on serp and 2nd on local map section

I was still on page 3 last night. The strange thing is, google's cache for my site is still really old (4th December). I thought they re-cached your site when they reindexed it? Also, using http://popuri.us/ all of my backlinks have disappeared (I had around 750+) and I still have a PR of 0.

It doesn't look like Google have penalised me for my link exchange directory Ryan - I would imagine your non-paid link exchange would be fine.

RyanMeray
01-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Woohoo! I just hit a 4 on the pagerank for my landing page!

*does the leveled-up pagerank dance*

MrMille
01-01-2009, 04:19 PM
I've no idea why your site has PR4, clicking on the backlink buttons doesn't yield much information.

Any idea? and well done by the way

nonchalant
01-01-2009, 11:51 PM
whoaa Simmy - nice work! I couldnt find your site a few weeks ago now as you say your ranking for those search terms is right up there :)

Btw, love your site. The homepage is vastly improved with lots of text (told you google loves text lol).

I also wouldnt worry about your backlinks. Checking that link you posted it shows n/a results for my site also which is obviously wrong. Did you post a sitemap for google btw?

Also, for those wanting to check their pagerank, this site is great http://checkpagerank.ws/ - It gives a bit more info on your site as well as pagerank.

RyanMeray
01-02-2009, 03:06 AM
I've no idea why your site has PR4, clicking on the backlink buttons doesn't yield much information.

Any idea? and well done by the way

What are the backlink buttons?

I think the biggest factors in my pagerank is the number of external links to the site, and my code which is extremely search-engine friendly.

Also, for those wanting to check their pagerank, this site is great http://checkpagerank.ws/ - It gives a bit more info on your site as well as pagerank.

Awesome page! It's reminded me that the page I have up isn't XHMTL 1.0 valid yet, but the code I have waiting for the wings is, so I need to roll that out ASAP.

Oddly enough though, it's displaying some info as wrong, such as not listing my Delicious links.

dhrandy
03-22-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm number 1 in local search in Google in my area with laptop, PC repair, computer repair in Huntersville, NC. I've been number 1 and 2 with Yahoo search for a couple weeks. Just made the top of Google today. :D Now if my website could get closer to the top for the web search result. Maybe with a little more time it will be.