PDA

View Full Version : Use the manufactures RAM ;)

Crgky127
03-16-2008, 06:07 PM
So a guy calls up the other day, asks if we have RAM for his HP Pavilion ze4800 laptop and how much it would cost to max it out. I look it up on crucial, and it says 2 slots with max of 512 each. Then he asks what brand it is, because only HPs own RAM will work for this particular model. I say I have never heard of this, who told you this? He says BestBuy sold him a gig (that is the max after all :rolleyes:) stick and his machine didn't boot, and when he brought it back, they said it didn't work because it wasn't HP brand memory!

syst3merror
03-16-2008, 06:37 PM
sounds to me like a Bestbuy screwup with the typical Geek Squad lie coverup.

I thought (correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking) but I THOUGHT that when you install ram to the max, it has to be filling all slots. For example, if it is a 1 gig max, BOTH slots need to be filled with 512mb each. or 2 gigs needed 1 gigs in each slot. If they put in a 1 gig stick, then there is still a slot not filled and that is why it isn't working....not because it's not HP ram.

cis4smack
03-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Wow, that's why I don't go to bestbuy much. I went there to purchase a usb printer cable and ended up spending 40 bucks. I seen them cheaper else where but I didn't know the area very and my choices were limited.

Crgky127
03-16-2008, 08:43 PM
sounds to me like a Bestbuy screwup with the typical Geek Squad lie coverup.

I thought (correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking) but I THOUGHT that when you install ram to the max, it has to be filling all slots. For example, if it is a 1 gig max, BOTH slots need to be filled with 512mb each. or 2 gigs needed 1 gigs in each slot. If they put in a 1 gig stick, then there is still a slot not filled and that is why it isn't working....not because it's not HP ram.

Correct. It's not just the max of the machine (which is what the bestbuy guy must have looked at alone), but each slot has its own maximum. Most of the time each slot has the same max, and in this case it was 512, so putting 1024 in either slot will cause it to not boot.

I could maybe perhaps kinda sorta forgive the initial mistake of not taking an extra couple of seconds to think/read, but the bogus explanation was just ridiculous. There is nothing wrong with saying, I'm not sure why that happened, I'll try to find out or ask someone that does know. They lost that memory sale, probably the customer all together, wasted a lot of the customers time, and a little of mine (the phone call was longer than usual because I had to undo the 'bad knowledge' they had given him).

Edit: USB printer cables: you can get them cheaper in other retail stores, but the cheapest is online (try pricegrabber.com etc), even though shipping will probably be as much as the cable, it will still be cheaper than retail chains.

geekhelp4u
03-16-2008, 09:33 PM
usb printer cables are available at my local dollar store!

tartis
03-17-2008, 01:18 AM
Best Buy is a bunch of fools. I called Best Buy on Friday to double check a quote that I was giving my customer for a Dell notebook RAM upgrade, and they told me that they could not look up Dell by model number. They also told me that labor alone was $159 for onsite service to snap in the RAM, not including the $139 for 1 GB stick that cost me $60 at Tech Data. Best Buy=Bad News.

focuz
03-17-2008, 01:25 PM
All bad reviews aside. I love geek squad. In fact I'm going to go there right now and congratulate them.

I have made more customers from them then any other source.

hawks5999
03-17-2008, 09:58 PM
All bad reviews aside. I love geek squad. In fact I'm going to go there right now and congratulate them.

I have made more customers from them then any other source.

Bingo! Best Buy is the Best Friend of folks doing independent consulting. Geek Squad is some of the best advertising you could have. Be professional and don't say the word "gigabyte" to your client and then show them how you are doing work for them that Best Buy charges more for and you are golden...

htsource
03-22-2008, 01:39 PM
I have had good luck looking up slot configuration for RAM and specs from Kingston web site.

Just go there and look up under manufacture and then the model #. I don't necessary buy Kingston RAM, but it gives me a lot of information as far as how many slots for the PC and speed.