PDA

View Full Version : Outsourcing? What's That?

gadz00ks1
03-16-2008, 02:39 AM
Hello Everyone,

I was thinking about how to offer services in which I have no skillset. For instance, let's say a customer wants to have 100 PC network setup with a file server, web site, and maintenance contract.

I'm proficient in computer repair and management but not with router configs and not mention I have never installed a Windows Server OS other than Windows 2000.

How does one go about outsourcing or subcontracting the work for the router config/webpage/server setup/etc.?

This situation has not happened, but I thought I would ask and get some your thoughts.

Simmy
03-16-2008, 10:05 AM
You need to find a company willing to work with you (effectively running under your company name - beware, as this means you are legally liable for any work they carry out) and agree a job description and price. Just make sure there is a solid contract in place, covering all possibilities.

You need a statement in your contract with the company you are doing work for, stating that you can outsource work where needed. If you don't have that, then you need to tell them you are doing so.

At the end of the job the subcontractor will invoice you for the work and you will invoice the company.

Do you plan to let the subcontracted company do all of the work?

gadz00ks1
03-16-2008, 08:45 PM
You need to find a company willing to work with you (effectively running under your company name - beware, as this means you are legally liable for any work they carry out) and agree a job description and price. Just make sure there is a solid contract in place, covering all possibilities.

You need a statement in your contract with the company you are doing work for, stating that you can outsource work where needed. If you don't have that, then you need to tell them you are doing so.

At the end of the job the subcontractor will invoice you for the work and you will invoice the company.

Do you plan to let the subcontracted company do all of the work?

No I wouldn't let them do all of the work, only what is necessary to complete the job and what I do not have a skill-set for. I would be responsible for the maintenance for the network. Have you any experience with this scenario?

cmonova
03-16-2008, 08:48 PM
I have outsourced things like telephone installations etc. I also outsource my company to a guy that gets jobs lined up to install medical systems for doctors etc. I just sign a non-complete with him and do the work. On the telephone deals I do the proposal and just insert the line that I can use other contractors as necessary.

gadz00ks1
03-16-2008, 09:02 PM
I have outsourced things like telephone installations etc. I also outsource my company to a guy that gets jobs lined up to install medical systems for doctors etc. I just sign a non-complete with him and do the work. On the telephone deals I do the proposal and just insert the line that I can use other contractors as necessary.

Cmonova, did you mean a "non-compete" clause? I am assuming he just pays you upon completion of the job.

cmonova
03-17-2008, 10:23 AM
sorry about that..ya a non-compete clause...Yes, upon completion we get paid. Typically I base the cost on the job NOT on the time spent on-site.

focuz
03-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Yeah, you really don't want to be messing with windows server without atleast playing around with it. If you install 2003 then you must also learn how to add it to a domain as it will not run properly. I wouldn't advertise to being able to complete something without at least some formal education or some sort of experience. If you have neither then like the rest of the guys said find a subcontractor.