PDA

View Full Version : Sony VaioPCG-6J1M limited or no connectivity

MrMille
03-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Sometimes I feel like I have 802.11* issues licked, then I get two laptops in a row that refuse to connect to my WAP.

Could someone point me in the direction of a 'wireless-by-numbers' type list that I could follow in the hopes that it'll resolve this wireless connectivity issue?

The other laptop in question is a lovely Acer Aspire, I quite like Acers.

[Edit] When security is disabled, a working connection can be made.
So how do I figure out what encryption the wifi adapter on this vaio supports?

MrMille
03-17-2008, 10:42 AM
bump

Does anybody know how I can find out what wireless security the laptop supports?

focuz
03-17-2008, 02:09 PM
I've had issues with branded "HELPER" software problems that disable the connection unless you go through the prog. I got a service call for this same issue on a HP laptop running vista. I simply went through uninstalled the connection assistant and set up the wireless connection through windows as normal and it worked perfectly.

MrMille
03-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Any idea how to figure out which encryption schemes the built in wireless adapter supports?

I can use wireless to surf the web, but only with no security applied,
but if I apply WEP, or WPA, no connectivity.

focuz
03-17-2008, 05:37 PM
WEP is pretty much universal on wireless cards. What type of card is it (a/b/g...)

MrMille
03-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Got it fixed in the end.
The card supports 801.11g. Freqs 2.5GHz and 5GHz.
I got it working fine with my WAP, using no security and WPA-PSK (for Home/SOHO). Which pretty much means I will be able to connect to the clients WAP when I return the laptop.

gadz00ks1
03-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Got it fixed in the end.
The card supports 801.11g. Freqs 2.5GHz and 5GHz.
I got it working fine with my WAP, using no security and WPA-PSK (for Home/SOHO). Which pretty much means I will be able to connect to the clients WAP when I return the laptop.

I've found that if the problem is not with the 3rd party help apps, you can often update the wireless drivers to resolve this problem as well.