PDA

View Full Version : Home Network Help

sweagles
03-15-2008, 01:35 PM
I set up my network between my PC an wireless laptop but thought I was suppose to set up my email folder as a shared folder. When I did all my emails on my laptop were replace with my Outlook Express emails from my PC. When I open my email on the PC I still get the original PC emails, they weren't replaced with the emails from my laptop.
Can anyone help me find my laptop emails and explain how I should have set up the PC and laptop to share the same email program?

03-15-2008, 02:04 PM
This really depends on what you actually did and how you tried to set it up. Did you share both systems' folders? Did you copy files from one system to another?

My first guess would be that a new e-mail profile was set up on the laptop. If that's the case, the files are still there....but that's just a guess based on very little information.

Typically to share e-mail between a laptop and a desktop, without a centralized server, you should just set both e-mail clients to leave the email on the server for a couple of days. You'll basically be downloading the messages twice, once on the desktop and once on the laptop. You CAN set up the e-mail clients to share the same files on your network without a server, but in my opinion that's a bad idea.

sweagles
03-15-2008, 02:58 PM
I started out sharing both c: drives but thought I shouldn't do that so I removed the share on the c: and went and selected specific folders I had on my PC & laptop. I wanted to have access to my emails on the laptop from my PC and I saw a email folder on both systems for my email. Both folders were named with my personal email name. I can't remember if I selected to share the laptop one first but eventually I set both up to share. Then I opened up Outlook Express on the laptop and what showed up was my OE program for my PC.