PDA

View Full Version : Wordpress vs Joomla vs Drupal?

NeutronTech
10-11-2010, 04:04 AM
I'm really anxious to take advantage of all the new features I have available to me now that I have switched to HostGator. On top of the new ability to use a CMS, I also have a new logo that I'm anxious to get out there. So, I've been toying with these three CMSs for about a month and I still can't decide which one to use. I've read some comparisons via Google, but I'd like to hear some of your personal opinions and experiences, and maybe why you chose the CMS that you did.

Thanks for your input.

EDIT: I should add that I have a very limited knowledge of coding and scripting. It seems that code knowledge can make a difference on what I choose.

TopLevelComp
10-11-2010, 05:35 AM
If you're looking for something that you can install, get a theme, get your content on there, and it be ready, WordPress, if you don't like WordPress then Joomla.

Drupal is a good system but I've never been a fan of it. The amount of time to completely learn Drupal and it's capabilities, you're better of getting a PHP/MySQL book and designing your own.

MobileTechie
10-11-2010, 07:08 AM
I used Joomla in the end having played with WP for a while. In fact I have a 2nd WP site which I don't really use anymore.

I find Joomla is better designed and a bit more flexible for producing non-blog sites and the range of plugins is very large, although you do have to pay for some of the better ones. I didn't try Drupal so cannot comment.

They all have their limitations and confusing ways of doing things, but Joomla seemed a good happy-medium.

Martyn
10-11-2010, 07:32 AM
I have access to all three but use wp. Once you have your template it's easy to use. If you are no good at template design like me get Artisteer and export it to wp. It makes your template look unique as you can tweak every little part of the template without having an artistic bone in your body:)

TLE
10-11-2010, 09:12 AM
I've never used Drupal so I can't comment on it, but I do use Joomla for my website. I found it quite easy once I got my head around how the menu's work. There is also a huge array of Extensions available for Joomla.

When I started out I installed them both and got a feel for them. I went with Joomla as I felt it had a little more flexibility for any future development work. As far as coding goes, I have little to no experience with PHP. However I have tweaked pages that I found would not pass the HTML validation.

If you are no good at template design like me get Artisteer and export it to wp. It makes your template look unique as you can tweak every little part of the template without having an artistic bone in your body

+1 for Artisteer

I could never have created a template from scratch without Artisteer. Thanks to MobileTechie for recommending that one to me :D

Martyn
10-11-2010, 09:14 AM
+1 for Artisteer

I could never have created a template from scratch without Artisteer. Thanks to MobileTechie for recommending that one to me :D

And TLE for recommending me :)

So have a look at TLE's & Mobiletechie's sites to see what can be done with Artisteer and Joomla. Mine is done with Artisteer & Wordpress.

stro
10-11-2010, 02:30 PM
One thing I would say about drupal is that it does perform well under a heavy load. It's been a few years, but I have an Drupal site that took a direct frontpage hit from Slashdot and survived. While I have recenty seen alot of Word Press installations a little less than speedy.

Martyn
10-11-2010, 02:36 PM
One thing I would say about drupal is that it does perform well under a heavy load. It's been a few years, but I have an Drupal site that took a direct frontpage hit from Slashdot and survived. While I have recenty seen alot of Word Press installations a little less than speedy.

No idea about that because I don't get that much traffic. :)

ZenMike
10-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Drupal is the most robust, but also the most complex. WordPress is purpose-designed and perfect for a blog site. Joomla is an excellent general purpose CMS and sounds like the best fit for your situation. There are some usability quirks, but once you get a little familiar with the admin interface it's pretty easy to work with. There are also many good template designers out there.

NeutronTech
10-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the input! And thanks for the tips on the themes. I think I am going to go with WordPress for now. My site isn't much, and I think it will do everything I need it to, the easiest.

totalPCTechs
10-12-2010, 02:03 PM
throw in a poll i actually want to see the results of this because i use joomla myself and prefer it but wordpress in my opinion has better templates to choose from

totalPCTechs
10-12-2010, 02:04 PM
also which is better for SEO

badkinsdesigns
10-12-2010, 02:13 PM
I have setup wordpress for people to use as a blog cms, and it is excellent for that. A little bit less intuitive to use as a cms for a a webpage but it is doable. To get real customization you have to know a bit of css, and to use custom css you actually have to pay a small annual fee. Though even without doing this there are tons of templates available that you could just drop your content into.

I worked with one once that ended up turning out pretty well, don't think I am allowed to post the link here though (its not selling anything just a local govt site). Anyways, for a blog - wordpress is the way to go in my opinion, for a website I would rather code it myself, but if you don't want to code and need a cms it could be idea.

totalPCTechs
10-12-2010, 02:17 PM
the main reason im thinking about making the switch is because imo they have better templates to work with and also the blog since i want to start blogging about different was on to make your pc better and more secure

Atlantech
10-12-2010, 03:38 PM
also which is better for SEO

So, you are saying that WP is better than Joomla in regards to SEO?

I am actually trying to decied which one to go with right now. I am leaning towards Joomla though.

badkinsdesigns
10-12-2010, 04:11 PM
This is just from what I have read in the wordpress support area. But supposedly a wordpress site is already "highly" optimized. Who knows what that means. Though if you go the wordpress route for a professional look almost everyone would want to do the domain mapping, meaning the URL would be www.yoursite.com rather than www.yoursite.wordpress.com . Though from a SEO standpoint the www.yoursite.wordpress.com would be a lot better.

Also, the support and tutorials available on wordpresses page are extensive, but there is almost nothing on SEO...

NeutronTech
10-12-2010, 04:29 PM
This is just from what I have read in the wordpress support area. But supposedly a wordpress site is already "highly" optimized. Who knows what that means. Though if you go the wordpress route for a professional look almost everyone would want to do the domain mapping, meaning the URL would be www.yoursite.com rather than www.yoursite.wordpress.com . Though from a SEO standpoint the www.yoursite.wordpress.com would be a lot better.

Also, the support and tutorials available on wordpresses page are extensive, but there is almost nothing on SEO...

Why would I have to use www.mydomain.wordpress.com when I've installed wordpress on my hosting account?

badkinsdesigns
10-12-2010, 04:57 PM
You wouldn't. I assumed you were going to use wordpress' hosting which sounds like you are not. I haven't used the downloaded cms app yet, how is that working?

NeutronTech
10-12-2010, 05:00 PM
You wouldn't. I assumed you were going to use wordpress' hosting which sounds like you are not. I haven't used the downloaded cms app yet, how is that working?

I honestly don't know yet. I haven't really touched my website in a while, except to put a few partner logos on it.

PCSupportGlasgow
10-12-2010, 09:32 PM
So, you are saying that WP is better than Joomla in regards to SEO?

I am actually trying to decied which one to go with right now. I am leaning towards Joomla though.

why not just go for both?

joomla for main site & wordpress for your blog. ok bit extra work getting designs to mirror on both but even in basic form getting colour schemes to match shouldnt be too hard to achieve

rss feed module on main joomla site showing latest blog posts & blog on subdomain. As google counts subdomains as seperate entities (unless recently changed) you get best of both worlds as in dedicated cms & blogging system and lots of nice inbound links :D

ZenMike
10-12-2010, 09:52 PM
SEO likely has more to do with your content and design than what your underlying CMS is.

The poll does address what you want to use it for, which in my experience is the determining factor. I'm far from a CMS purist or ideologue, but they are each strong in different areas.

NeutronTech
10-13-2010, 12:13 AM
Interesting stuff. I think I am going to go with WordPress because I do want to do some blogging, and my page isn't much more than a brochure. Now, I am afraid of losing my Google ranking by changing my site. Right now I'm number one for computer repair in my town. I'm afraid that a new site wouldn't be optimized enough and drop ranking. Another thing is that I have to learn this as I go. That, in itself, is fine, but that also means it's going to take time to get the site complete. I don't want my site to be down while I'm creating my new one. Again, I don't want to lose ranking during the downtime, or lose potential customers.

Is there a way to install WordPress on my host without erasing my current site? I know I can install it to a sub directory, but what happens when I want to go live? If I move the the contents of the WP directory to the root/www directory, it might break the site. Or, if I change the index.html file to just redirect to the WP directory, I will likely lose ranking because the index page will basically be blank. Once before I had my domain forward to a Blogger page, consequently I had virtually no SEO.