PDA

View Full Version : need help with brand new comp

ijt1992
03-13-2008, 08:49 PM
I have put together a computer with parts that i bought on tiger direct and put it together. Than i went and turned it on and it ran fine than after so long it just turned off. I brought it to my electronics shop in school and no one could figure it out so i am in need for ideas...

syst3merror
03-13-2008, 11:02 PM
power supply? Maybe the fans aren't kicking on and it's overheating? just throwing out ideas

03-13-2008, 11:27 PM
I'd check the cpu heatsink. Make sure it has an adequate amount of heatsink paste (not too much!) and make sure it's sitting level on the processor.
Usually when something's shutting down after a given amount of time, something's overheating...the cpu's always the first thing to check.

gunslinger
03-14-2008, 03:48 AM
I'd also say heatsink not seated correctly. There are a few free utilities that will tell you the CPU temp, as will the BIOS. I'd start by checking the temp.

JRDtechnet
03-14-2008, 05:09 AM
Hmm if the heatsink is on incorrectly it would get hot really quick and shutdown in a matter of seconds. What exactly are you doing when it shuts down....are you sitting there typing, playing a game? Or are you away? Also what OS are you using?