PDA

View Full Version : Introduction posts

lgtechcomputers
10-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Link to Thread (http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?p=163772#post163772)

If this has been covered before - sorry.

For Bryce and Protech : I am wondering if it might make sense to require a higher character count for first posts in the introduction section.

That way at least new members are required to write two or three sentences about themselves and not just "Hi, I am here to discuss topics" or as shown in the thread linked above.

Just an idea.

Thanks

iptech
10-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Good idea, but protracted stories of "here's a link to my ebook" or "I'll tell you about my success story" will quickly circumvent that as a means of control for the meaningless garbage that gets posted here with increasing regularity.

'Spam is spam' no matter how flowery it's presented or how many words are used.

Xander
10-07-2010, 12:54 AM
How about a custom header when posting to that forum, telling the new member that the Intro is a way for them to tell us about their work as a computer repair tech and a well-bolded, impossible to miss quote from the rules about "No End Users" ?

lgtechcomputers
10-07-2010, 01:02 AM
Yes maybe in combination with the custom header...that might be a pretty good solution.

The spam will get through no matter how tough rules get, they'll find a way.
I think there will be no catch it all solution but at least the members get better screened? or maybe not.

Might be worth a trial.

NeutronTech
10-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Charge a membership fee of $1 to new members. Spammers aren't going to give a credit card, even though it's such a small amount. End users aren't likely to do the same.

Cadishead Computers
10-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Or have one or two trusted members, 'greet' all new members, and ensure they have completed a proper introduction, before allowing them to post elsewhere.

Jura
10-09-2010, 12:57 AM
Higher character count won't fix unwanted introductions.

Payment to join would kill activity and membership.

People who join often want to get to posting as soon as they can.

Methical
10-09-2010, 01:15 AM
Or have one or two trusted members, 'greet' all new members, and ensure they have completed a proper introduction, before allowing them to post elsewhere.

Yeah I like that idea .. Maybe might need more than one or two ..
I've said it once, and I'll say it again, this board definately needs more moderators.. as it is Bryce and ProTech haven't been round for a few days...

People who join often want to get to posting as soon as they can.

Yeah, these are the End Users who want to ask there question straight away, get there answer, and get the hell out of here until they have another problem.

Jura
10-09-2010, 01:32 AM
It's not too far fetched for the same to be said (not the question thing you mentioned) about non-end users, especially if they see a few threads they want to weigh in on before joining.

hondablaster
10-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Charge a membership fee of $1 to new members. Spammers aren't going to give a credit card, even though it's such a small amount. End users aren't likely to do the same.

Best Idea I have seen on this kinda beat down topic. 30 day wait period for those who don't want to pay a dollar.(or have no card) Most end users and spammers will move on long before that grace.

Bryce W
10-17-2010, 02:29 AM
How about a custom header when posting to that forum, telling the new member that the Intro is a way for them to tell us about their work as a computer repair tech and a well-bolded, impossible to miss quote from the rules about "No End Users" ?
There should already be one there.

When you first saw Technibble and didnt know much about it, would YOU have paid $1? Its easy to say you would now, but when you first begun? Most people wont.

With most systems, they will ALWAYS find a way and you will chase off far more legitimate users than you would potential scammers/spammers.

NeutronTech
10-17-2010, 03:35 AM
How about all introduction posts must be read and verified by a mod before being actually posted and visible to the rest of the forum? That way the spammers ads will never even get through.

callthatgirl
10-19-2010, 03:53 AM
How about we get rid of some of the jerks here first. We still haven't got that problem taken care of yet.

iptech
10-19-2010, 08:33 AM
How about we get rid of some of the jerks here first. We still haven't got that problem taken care of yet.Lisa, I wouldn't buy your self-puffing 'ebooks', please don't make false testimonial that I would.

It's time this site cracked-down on the SEO spammers. :mad:

Martyn
10-19-2010, 09:00 AM
I think it's about time they cracked down on anonymous, cyber bullies.;)

iptech
10-19-2010, 09:05 AM
I think it's about time they cracked down on anonymous, cyber bullies.;)I don't bully anybody my friend, do you?

Spamming is a form of bullying is it not?

Martyn
10-19-2010, 09:08 AM
I don't bully anybody my friend, do you?

Spamming is a form of bullying is it not?

Never mentioned you did i?

wimwauters
10-19-2010, 12:56 PM
How about we get rid of some of the jerks here first. We still haven't got that problem taken care of yet.

Don't worry Lisa, the mighty trolls are loosing it big time, and the sensible people are winning, as they always do ;)

You wouldn't believe the private message I just got from our favourite troll :(
Maybe he's got a drink problem :confused:

Anyway, I bought your ebook and I loved it: it's really hands-on and it's a real bonus that it's not written by a marketing twerp, but a real tech (http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20149&highlight=callthatgirl) :D

iptech
10-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Don't worry Lisa, the mighty trolls are loosing it big time, and the sensible people are winning, as they always do ;)

You wouldn't believe the private message I just got from our favourite troll :(
Maybe he's got a drink problem :confused:

Anyway, I bought your ebook and I loved it: it's really hands-on and it's a real bonus that it's not written by a marketing twerp, but a real tech (http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20149&highlight=callthatgirl) :D
For the record I did not send 'wimwauters' a private message, I wouldn't bother TBH as I don't rate the guy. I did however add negative rep to his profile in response to him adding "this guy is a waste of space" to mine. I'm sure a 29 page :rolleyes: ebook must be invaluable to someone of such scant thought and observation.

I have no drink, drug or narcissistic personality disorder.

Cadishead Computers
10-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Guys, can we please keep this thread on track. All this nit picking imo is a waste, we are all supposed to be adults.

I like neutrons idea, about all intro posts, going through a mod for approval, before being posted on the intro thread.

wimwauters
10-19-2010, 03:00 PM
For the record I did not send 'wimwauters' a private message,

I stand corrected :o

it's a 'visitor message', and it is still there on my public profile...

callthatgirl
10-19-2010, 05:29 PM
LOL! It is still there.

I respect it when someone asks to get back on topic so therefore I will. My issues with iptech will be dealt with offline.

Bryce W
10-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Ive already said my piece here. Going too overkill on the entry requirements stops a few spammers, but stops even more good legitimate users.
95% of the spam that appears on Technibble is constrained to the Introduction forums where it gets deleted a few hours later. Sometimes it sneaks out... but not every often.
Right now I think its at a good place to let the goodies in and keep the baddies out.. or at least limited to the Introduction forums where we get them soon after.

As for CTG's sig, she specifically asked me for permission to advertise in her signature. Not that she really needed to since I dont mind people advertising in their signatures provided it follows the rules.