PDA

View Full Version : Install files for repairs

syst3merror
03-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Just curious, I have tons of software that I use for repairs, I have the "toolbox" posted on here, but what software do you carry to install after working on a computer/reformatting a computer?

Ideas????? Like directx, java, msn messenger, firefox, etc.

03-11-2008, 08:49 PM
I usually just keep format/reinstall jobs simple. Most of my work is brought to me, so I'll install any software provided by my customer at no extra charge, I install the very latest updates from Windows update/Apple update and that's basically it for a standard install. If the customer had me back up their itunes library, I'll install itunes and reimport the library, or install thunderbird and reimport their mail settings.....
I basically don't install anything unless I know the customer already wants it installed or specifically asked for it. I let them know, though, that if there's anything they need installed, I'll do it for no charge as long as they bring the system back in within a reasonable time frame.

syst3merror
03-11-2008, 08:58 PM
but for me, I do "on site" so I would need to have a bunch of programs already downloaded on disc to be able to install. I just didn't know what others suggest having with me to install. I never once thought about itunes because I don't use it nor have I EVER used it but a lot of people do so I guess that will be one on my list to download.

03-11-2008, 09:11 PM
I guess I misunderstood what you were asking.
Things I have downloaded and ready to install: nvidia graphics drivers, ati driveres, I have a windows update cd that I keep updated to save time on updates, acrobat reader or foxit reader (depending on preference), latest version of DX, IE7 full installer, firefox installer, thunderbird installer, itunes, Klite codec pack (or other codec pack), open office installer, avast antivirus (though I prefer to sell an antivirus first), all of the mesenger services installers and pidgin or trillian (depending on user preference), and adaware.
I usually check for the latest updates on these once a month or so. I have them handy for onsite jobs and regular walkins...but like I said, most of my customers are walkins because I don't like onsite work :D

syst3merror
03-11-2008, 09:20 PM
thanks, this gave me a pretty good list to start with. I was thinking about burning a couple of copies of "opendisc" to carry with me and give out if a customer would like it.

theopendisc.com/programs/

focuz
03-11-2008, 09:59 PM
I don't install any programs not specifically requested by the customer. This is because whenever I seem to actually take the time to make a cd out with what I consider all necessary software, it normally has a program that already came out with an update and I have to download it from the internet anyways. So the only thing I do now is windows update and a virus/spyware prog to keep them safe.

gunslinger
03-12-2008, 02:28 AM
I install enough to make the PC useful again. Things like Foxit reader and Adobe flash, Java, I'll also include AVG and Spyware Blaster. Then its what ever the customer wants. If they want a compressed file utility its 7-Zip and so on. I keep it free and small.

syst3merror
03-12-2008, 03:23 AM
ok, thanks guys. this gave me all the insight that I needed for the issue.

KIKE
03-13-2008, 01:31 AM
Hi Collegues, I being fixing pcs for the last 6 years, and every single day, i browse the internet for best technician best friend software...

I will list my programs or Cds on best order...

hiren boot cd ... specially version 9...

this has a lot for tools... most useful are partition drive, drive image... so once i finish with a clean windows i can backup and have it ready for next time... and from the same cd ... windows password remover... it will clean windows password very easy...

All Messenger software ... yahoo, msn, aol,

Nero 7
Power DVD 7
Office XP
Mcafee Antivirus removal
Norton Antivirus Removal
Adobe Reader
DVD shrink, DVD decrypter
Win rar
MIRC chatting program
ISO buster... to read ... ISO files or unreadable cds
Your Uninstaller...
Tuneup Utilities... so i can put my logo and telephone number on the boot screen... so customers dont forget about me...
INternet explorer fix
ad aware professional 6
Java platform
Klite codecs
Direct x latest...

and differet types of windows versions....

I hope this list would help some of you, please... if you find a program that would make our lives easier please let me know!!!

Also If i can help you with any suggestions about my list ...please ask!

geekhelp4u
03-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Nero 7
Power DVD 7

Do you have an OEM license for these? Or are you charging them for the installs?

Adobe Reader

If they do not have a preference... stick with Foxit Reader... less resources and runs a lot quicker, especially on older systems!

DVD shrink, DVD decrypter

You can run in to some legal issues installing these programs!

Win rar

Again, better to stick with 7zip

Tuneup Utilities... so i can put my logo and telephone number on the boot screen... so customers dont forget about me...

I would be pretty pissed if someone put their advertising all over my computer. Imagine taking your computer to best buy, and when it comes back, every time you boot it shows the GEEKSQUAD logo! I Would loose it!

Blues
03-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Since geekhelp4u brought up some those concerns I will add the comment someone is bound to add eventually.

hiren boot cd

It is a compilation of apps and most them are not free. What does that mean? It means you probably do not own the license for most them and thus it is illegal pirate disc. This does not question how useful it may be and simply serves as a warning.

MrMille
03-13-2008, 07:47 PM

I would be pretty pissed if someone put their advertising all over my computer. Imagine taking your computer to best buy, and when it comes back, every time you boot it shows the GEEKSQUAD logo! I Would loose it!

That was my next question!

I brand Start > Control Panel > System and use bginfo to put a discreet branding on their desktop (6 point, colour coordinated to their wallpaper, with my name and number, and date of the most recent service)

Too much? too little?

gunslinger
03-13-2008, 08:52 PM
The only time I would brand Windows is if I built the machine. I think anything more is kinda tacky. If you carry your car in for repairs and the mechanic airbrushed his name on the hood, how would you feel?

MrMille
03-13-2008, 09:29 PM
I consider the system control panel to be
like the hood/bonnet of the computer,
a bit like the hood/bonnet of a real car.

Every time I've got my car serviced the mechanic

stamped his name and address into my cars log book
stuck a branded 'change oil in ....miles' sticker to the underside of the hood/bonnet
and some ever go so far as to stick a second sticker either inside the door frame and or sun visor.
Not to mention the big oval car dealership sticker on my rear window (and no, they didn't build my car)