PDA

View Full Version : Component Level Repair For Laptops

Pc Fixed Right
03-11-2008, 04:02 PM
How does one go about learning component level repair for laptops? I have seen many ads on eBay with people advertising a component level repair for a laptop motherboard. My Laptop skills are limited at the moment but I have plenty of them to fool around with if it is as easy as a soldering the parts on.

1. Where does one get these component level parts?:confused:
2. How does one test for what component on the motherboard has failed?:eek:
3. Is there a site like this one where someone has done a tutorial on what to do?

thank you

tkrabec
03-11-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but I consider components as resisters & chips. If that is the case then a degree in Electrical Engineering or a good radio engineering degree might help. It would require special tools like an oscilloscope.

Pc Fixed Right
03-11-2008, 05:19 PM
For example if you look on eBay for laptop repair you will see many ads that state that the motherboard for a laptop can be easily fixed by replacing and re soldering certain chips on the board that may have failed as well as resisters and capacitors. I was just wondering what method these guys might be using to determine what chips have gone bad on the board.

Blues
03-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Sometimes there can be physical markings on the failed part there particularly capcitors as they tend to buldge and get corrosion.

03-11-2008, 07:31 PM
With due respect and without doubting your skill, component level motherboard repair isn't something you just pick up.
If you want to get a start on basic repairs, I'd suggest starting with broken power jacks as they're one of the most common and easiest things to fix on a motherboard. If you don't already have one, I'd highly recommend picking up a hot air rework station if you're going to be serious about that type of repair. A standard soldering iron gives you a much higher risk of damaging the board and is considerably harder to use to desolder the existing parts.

As for the other components, the places that have that usually have a pre-heat oven to avoid damaging the board, pretty high end logic test probes, and I'd assume some very experienced techs. I'm also guessing that there are certain problems that they don't fix and just call it "unrepairable"...things like a graphics chip or chipset chips being water damaged....most of the other stuff is standard voltage regulators, capacitors, switches, etc and are fairly common and can be purchased from a place like Mouser electronics.
Standard disclaimer being: I've only done minor component level repair on boards...TONS of power jacks, popped caps, a few network jacks, power/sleep switches, but never anything too complex.

Also, here's a basic guide/introduction to circuit board repair. http://www.circuittechctr.com/guides/guides.shtml

Pc Fixed Right
03-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the info I doubt my skills at that level at the moment =) I was just curious and will play around with broken laptops until I have better skills. In the meantime most of those types of repairs will be outsourced as I dont have the knowledge on how to go about doing component level repair. I can handle DC jacks for now though =)

focuz
03-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Truthfully, you'll never make decent profit doing motherboard repairs. Thats mainly a factory refurb job. Also its nearly impossible to find the single components for the motherboards that are required for this. I find it hard to find dc jacks for half the models out their.

03-11-2008, 10:22 PM
I find it hard to find dc jacks for half the models out their.

www.dcpowerjacks.net (http://www.dcpowerjacks.net) I've NEVER had a problem finding a power jack....and I've done a TON of jack replacements. For me, it's a very profitable business because not many people do it locally so on top of my normal customers, I have a few other shops sending me their laptop repairs. :D

focuz
03-12-2008, 01:02 AM
bookmarking website now.