PDA

View Full Version : New company?

dnoyes
03-11-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm thinking of starting a computer consulting business in my area but I have some questions that maybe you guys can help with.

1. What would be an acceptable warrenty for work performed. I can see getting stuck in a loop with some situations.

2. Incorporate or LLC. I'm thinking LLC because I do not have much startup cash.

3. Is it a good idea? I've been in the business for about 12 years and there is almost no local compatition to speak of. I'm a little worried to make that leap. What do you think?

I'm sure I will have more questions later. Thank you for your input.

cmonova
03-11-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm thinking of starting a computer consulting business in my area but I have some questions that maybe you guys can help with.

1. What would be an acceptable warrenty for work performed. I can see getting stuck in a loop with some situations.

2. Incorporate or LLC. I'm thinking LLC because I do not have much startup cash.

3. Is it a good idea? I've been in the business for about 12 years and there is almost no local compatition to speak of. I'm a little worried to make that leap. What do you think?

I'm sure I will have more questions later. Thank you for your input.

Well before you make that leap I think you better have a real good plan in place. You make it sound like "make that leap" that you have a job and you just may leave it to do a computer repair business.

I think you need to look at a few other things.
1. do you have money set aside that will hold you over until money starts coming in?
2. do you have advertising money that you can freely give up?
3. do you know when the phone books will be published or are you going to have to wait a year to get in them?
4. are you required by where you live to have a business license or can you operate on a zoning permit?
5. have medical lined up in case something happens (that is assuming you are leaving what you are doing now)?

Now what "exactly" are you worried about in particular?

dnoyes
03-11-2008, 03:23 PM
1. do you have money set aside that will hold you over until money starts coming in?

I dont. I planned on running this as sort of a side gig until I can build enough money for a good safty net.

2. do you have advertising money that you can freely give up?

No.

3. do you know when the phone books will be published or are you going to have to wait a year to get in them?

I don't but this is a very good point and I will find out.

4. are you required by where you live to have a business license or can you operate on a zoning permit?

I will need to purchase a license.

5. have medical lined up in case something happens (that is assuming you are leaving what you are doing now)?

No.

At this time it is still just a thought. I'm in the process of getting a good plan made up. I'm still months away from implementing.

I do work full time so I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to pull it off yet. I was thinking I would target the home market until I can build of some cash flow. I do have some really good business contact our here that im sure can land me some business. After hours stuff...

cmonova
03-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Makes sense to start off part time. Just take your time and get as much info as possible on what needs to be done and start working on it. In time it's much easier to go full-time should you decided if you have everything running smoothly.

dnoyes
03-11-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm glad you agree. Thank you for the advise.