PDA

View Full Version : Cant stop the popups!

chillihead
03-11-2008, 05:23 AM
I was just at my friends house who was plagued with pop-ups and redirects in IE6.

I have collected a few of the utilities mentioned here in the threads to resolve it. Here's what I did.

Rebooted his system in safe mode and ran the following portable apps from my thumb drive:

Clamwin Virus Scanner
Ad-Aware
SpyBot

Between all of them they found a number of culprits and removed them. I then rebooted his system and the pop-ups and redirects in IE were still there. What else should I be using to get rid of these things! :)

Also I think perhaps installing IE7 and Defender to prevent future attacks?

Thanks guys...

jamesbhp
03-11-2008, 05:40 AM
Have you tried scanning with HiJackThis yet?

Also add Hijackthis, super anti-spyware, and smithfraud fix to your applications.

chillihead
03-11-2008, 06:10 AM
I will try Hijackthis. Thanks. :)

I have been reading here that in case I do need to format the system, some of you use custom Windows DVD's that contain special scripted installers to speed up the install on the new OS?

Do these contain all versions of common Windows builds? OEM, Retail, etc. How does it make the install faster for a customers PC?

Thanks...

Nathan H
03-11-2008, 10:11 AM
have you turned Alerter & Messenger off in the services menu?

What O/S is the PC using?

In XP you can do this my going to
>>Start
>>Run
>>Type "msconfig" Without the quotes & press enter
>> on the services tab uncheck the boxes for Alerter & Messenger.

Then save Changes and exit. make sure you reboot.

If it problem is still there login as administrator, go to
>>control panel
>>add remove programs

and make sure that theres nothing installed there that shouldn't be.

Bit of an over kill but you could do a scan with AVG Anti-virus & AVG Anti-Spyware; both of which can be downloaded for free from: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/us/frt/0

IMO if after that, and doing the previously mentioned Hijack This scan, i would just do a reformat, it means you start with a clean sheet.

If you think this advice is good please click the scales above and leave some reputation:D

chillihead
03-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Ok, I will try the above mentioned as well.

If format is the last option, how do you go about getting it done as fast as possible?

Formatting and installing XP usually takes 30-40min. Not to mention installing every app the customer had and getting the profile info back. This could lead into 2-3 hours later. Depends on the system hardware speed and memory as well.

I would normally use Acronis to take the image, then just pull out data the customer needs out of the image later.

Any advice on how to speed things up with a fresh install?

Blues
03-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Download and run Process Explorer it is a great tool to look for those out of the ordinary things running. If Rundll.exe is running it can give you the DLLs name and you can go google it to find what it is. Or just get lots of .exe file names and google them.

JRDtechnet
03-12-2008, 12:44 AM
download hijackthis, select scan and save log, copy and paste the log in this thread

dnoyes
03-12-2008, 11:59 AM
You could also try and dowload combofix. Its worked for me with stubbern spyware.

lazzo71
03-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Dump IE and go to Mozilla Firefox, Ihave been using it for years with no problems whereas IE has crashed before causing me major problems.