PDA

View Full Version : Whats your average time for malware removal

JRDtechnet
03-11-2008, 04:50 AM
Heres the scenario: computer slow, crashing, pop-ups, virus warning messages, etc. Heres what mine breaks down too.

1. Boot machine and evaluate, disable startup in msconfig 10 mins
2. Reboot and load my PC Repair boot disk run a battery of hardware tests, CPU, motherboard, video, memory, hard drive. Time 30mins (mainly for memory and hard drive, the other tests are less then a minute) I always like to do this to eliminate any hardware problems, especially when the customer mentions bsod's and hard drive noise.
3. Delete temp folders 5mins
4. Run a full superantispyware scan 45mins (at least!)
5. Hijackthis log , manually clear out any bad executables and dll's (this really depends, but 20mins - 45mins)
6. Run dial-a-fix to restore any lost functionality due to infection & reset security to defaults. 15mins
7. Run a quick malware scan 20mins.
8. 15mins making sure everything is back in working order

And then figure an additional 20mins for whatever.

So we are looking at around 3 hours total time and at my rates it would cost about $200.

Am I being fair with my methodology? Reason I do it is because I want to make sure every trace of infection is gone and that there computer is good shape. I know some people will just go in and just do steps 5 and 6, then be done with it. What method do you do and why?

gunslinger
03-11-2008, 06:12 AM
The things I would do in that scenario are:

1. Boot machine and evaluate, disable startup in msconfig also run Startuplite and msconfig cleanup.

2. Run D-clean, Cleaner portable and Easycleaner to clean all temp and junk files as well as the registery.

3. Run PC-Decrapifier and check for unused/unwanted programs.

4. Spyware scans with both Ad-aware and Spybot ( run off my flash drive )

5. Run Pagedefrag

6. Run HWmoniter to make sure there is no over heating issues.

7. Virus scan with Solo antivirus or Mcafee Stinger

8. Update any installed antivirus protection already running, check for and install Windows updates.

9. Install and update spyware Blaster

10. Run JKDfrag GUI

Total time: depends on the machine but if its an older system that I know will take more than 2 hours It goes back to the shop with me. If its around 2 hours cost is $50 not counting travel expence.

If the machine has deeper issues such an very stuborn spyware or viruses the price will be more because the time will be more.

tartis
03-11-2008, 03:27 PM
The things I would do in that scenario are:

Total time: depends on the machine but if its an older system that I know will take more than 2 hours It goes back to the shop with me. If its around 2 hours cost is $50 not counting travel expence.

If the machine has deeper issues such an very stuborn spyware or viruses the price will be more because the time will be more.

How can you spend 2 hours and only charge $50? I hope that this is back in your shop while you are watching TV.

gunslinger
03-11-2008, 03:52 PM
" How can you spend 2 hours and only charge $50? I hope that this is back in your shop while you are watching TV. "

Exactly my point, I can let the virus or spyware scans work while I do something else like work on another system ( or take a nap ).