PDA

View Full Version : Percentage of OS types during service calls


juiceman39
03-11-2008, 03:26 AM
Could I get some idea on the percentage and types of OS a tech runs across every month in residential. Such as how many win95 boxes, win 98 boxes, ME, XP, Vista, Linux and Apple etc. Does anyone track this type of thing? Guess's welcome.

JRDtechnet
03-11-2008, 03:54 AM
For me its 98% Windows XP, had several Vista machines, several OSXs mainly just connecting them to a wifi network, 1 Windows 98, no windows 95, ME or linux though yet.

gunslinger
03-11-2008, 04:39 AM
I would say about 90% are Windows XP and the other 10% are a mix of 98, 2000, and Vista.

Jory
03-11-2008, 04:41 AM
I'd say about 90% XP with 98SE, OSX, etc sprinkled in.

Bryce W
03-11-2008, 05:32 AM
90% XP, 9 % Vista, 1% ME/98

Pc Fixed Right
03-11-2008, 10:13 AM
90% XP home or Pro, 1-2% Vista and the other 8-9% are a mix of the windows family that I convert over to sales of a used machine with XP. Sell the benefit reap the reward =)

Nathan H
03-11-2008, 10:25 AM
A Mixture of:
94% XP - Home, Pro & MCE
4% Vista Home Premium & Ultimate
1% Windows 9X
1% Windows 2000,

My skills with Linux are getting better, but they are not good enough to be let loose on other people machines, Just yet!

And I don't do Mac........... as my skills with them are in the dark ages.

dracken
03-11-2008, 08:07 PM
98% OS X
2% xp/vista/2k/98

14049752
03-11-2008, 08:17 PM
98% OS X
2% xp/vista/2k/98

I think the acdt and acpt are a hint! :D

For me, I'd guess it's about 15% Mac OS X (though I have one repeat customer who's wife refuses to upgrade to OS X and still uses 9), 84% windows and a couple of Ubuntu or Redhat users.

Holzster
03-11-2008, 09:39 PM
80% XP
10% Linux
5% Server 2003
5% 98, Mac, 2000, Vista

tkrabec
03-12-2008, 02:09 AM
I'd say mostly XP a few Vista, a not many 9x, and a few 2000
I did have recently a gentleman with dos 3.1 and a monichrome monitor that he wants to keep using, for 123 and WP. The machine is literally 20 years old.

Blues
03-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Mostly XP however I have had a hand full of 9x machines. My office has a slowly decreasing number of 2000 machines, I am pushing as many out the door as I can. I have had a little experience with Vista about to have a bigger project with it soon.