PDA

View Full Version : Can you concurrently image multiple PCs using Clonezilla/etc.?

Vicenarian
10-01-2010, 03:54 AM
Ok...I am thinking about setting up a dedicated imaging PC. Basically, what I am wondering is, can I hook up 4 customer drives at the same time, and clone them all at the same time, to an internal HDD?

So, I would be making images of all 4 drives, all at the same time, to a HDD.

I guess the computer would have no problem recognizing all the drives, but the main concern is, can I run multiple instances of clonezilla on ubuntu at the same time? Obviously, I'm going to try this sometime in the near future, but up until now, I have just used the Clonezilla live CD which only does one disk/parition at a time.

Or, has anybody tried this with other imaging software? I mean, being able to image that many PCs at once would make things a whole LOT faster.

Cambridge PC Support
10-01-2010, 06:50 AM
my initial thoughts are that would seriously cane the destination HDD if it's possible to clone 4 hdds at once

also I would have thought that cloning 4 hdds simultaneously would be slower that cloning 4 hdds one after the other

hondablaster
10-01-2010, 09:02 AM
You may want to view this video it describes a little bit of what your wanting.

Somewhere in the middle he talks about FOG doing multiple machines simultaneously.

I hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIHN_ublWJ4

coreyspeed
10-01-2010, 09:24 AM
why not start the clonezilla cd on the customers machines and image them to a network drive, if you have gigabit network then this should ok in terms of speed.

ATTech
10-01-2010, 06:26 PM
why not start the clonezilla cd on the customers machines and image them to a network drive, if you have gigabit network then this should ok in terms of speed.
Or just set up a PXE boot for Clonezilla.

ReclaiMe
10-02-2010, 05:05 PM
When you do a write of the several large files concurrently, you lose write speed. Writing 4 images concurrently would be significantly slower than writing 4 images in turn if both imaging source and target are approximately the same speed. If you are imaging over the 100Mbps network, things are little different.

Also, concurrent write would induce an excessive fragmentation of the resulting image files. That would hinder the future restore speed as well. If you do restores often, this may need additional consideration.

However, the exact number of concurrent write streams the system will sustain is something you need to find by trial and error. We found that in our particular application (we do a lot of disk imaging) the limit is about 1.5 streams per target spindle (we are storing images onto a RAID5). Above that, the process slows down and it is better to do imaging in turns/batches.

Vicenarian
10-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the info guys! I'll have to look further into this.