PDA

View Full Version : How can I get my business website on search engines?

MMAUY
03-10-2008, 08:47 AM
I want my site to be found when someone searches for it on a search engine, such as yahoo, msn, google, but how can I do this?

generalj
03-10-2008, 09:15 AM
I want my site to be found when someone searches for it on a search engine, such as yahoo, msn, google, but how can I do this?

well..... First get the website online. and second get the website online. There is not much you can really do to get it to show up.

Search engines like msn, yahoo and google send a bot out that scans websites and adds them automatically, when it hits your site??hmm could be hours could be weeks.

It will search meta tags and links on your site to help rank it. but those are not a main driving factor anymore since a lot of ppl would hide keywords in the metatags to get listed first so they only matter a little but nay bit helps.

you can goto google and search for googlebot and find more info, you can actually login to google and upload a sitemap to help your site get listed. Also you can use google business center to get it listed with googlemap when someone searches for it with a city etc.

hope this makes since.

Simmy
03-10-2008, 10:04 AM
http://www.google.com/addurl/ - This is the link I used to get onto google. I don't know if it's necessary as generalj says, the web crawlers will probably find it on their own, but it might speed the process up a bit.

focuz
03-10-2008, 03:03 PM
It is true, the simple url submit will work perfect. Yahoo has one too, you can find it by going to yahoo and searching for url submission.

However if your like me and trying to advertise then you'll also want to check out https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/siteoverview

This way you can submit a sitemap, check your metatags, and a bunch of other cool stuff. Its basically googles free seo tools in hopes of grabbing your attention so you later sign up for adwords. I'm still trying to find free advertising before I start paying for it with no current income from the site.

And remember this isn't an overnight thing. Expect it to take about 3 days after you submit your url before it will show up.

cmonova
03-10-2008, 03:15 PM
First you have to get the site done.
Second you have to make sure you have all the meta tags.
Third you have to make sure you have image tags.
Forth you have to have solid content on the pages.

Last, start submitting to search engines. Exchange links if possible (one way links are best), Use forums with your sig line, etc.

Getting a website put together is not really a problem. Most people run into the problem such as you are asking and that is getting your site listed. We put a ton of work into getting sites we do into the search engines. Our big thing is "A site is useless...If nobody can find it..."

Really takes alot of work and determination.

thecoldone06
03-10-2008, 03:21 PM
You can also pay google, yahoo, etc for keywords. such as if your running a site such as technibble.com then you might want to pay for the words "tech" and "nibble". This way when someone types in those words, you are basically paying for the placement of your site to either be in the sponsored links or near the top so they don't have to go to page 2, 3, 4 and so on to get to your site. This can get VERY costly depending on what word you want.

focuz
03-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Unless your selling an online service, its pointless to advertise. If your website is just like an about us page for your local repair shop then the best advertisement would simply be to list your business address on google maps.

Even when I want to go for food I will goto google maps and search for say "pizza in downriver, mi" This is what most people do for local service, they either look in the yellow pages or goto google maps and type in "computer repair in ..."

cmonova
03-10-2008, 03:36 PM
I do not and have never paid for Internet advertising. But, as much as I appreciate google maps I would not just wait on that either. You figure alot of people use the "google maps" or the "local.yahoo" deal. But you also have to remember people will use just plain:
yahoo
google
msn
aol

Everyone has their preference on what they use to search for things. Goal is to get number say 1-3 in all the search engines for the areas you service. Then once you get that position keep it there.

bishop
03-25-2008, 05:42 PM
I use IBP Business edition for submitting to SE's. It's great if you are dealing with lots of sites. It's 450 to buy so not cost effictive for just 1 site. If you pass me on your site address, I'll submit it for you to about 200 search engines or so:)

Andy-Always
04-02-2008, 01:07 PM
What is the address of your website??

Let's see if it's ready for the search engines!!

If your website isn't ready - it could do you more harm than good to submit it too soon!

It's not a fast process either, it took me about a year for local searches such as "pc repairs kent" "laptop repairs kent" "computer repairs kent" to hit number 1 and stay there..... Although I have high rankings for about 40 different search terms, I get about 10 calls per week from the internet - in the early days I was lucky to get 1 call per month.......

With this in mind,,,,, consider how much time you are willing to spend on it!

Don't forget that if their computer is in need of repair there's a good chance they will have no internet access!