PDA

View Full Version : Vista sound problem

gunslinger
03-09-2008, 03:52 AM
I have an HP Vista machine here that is having sound issues. The owner says she got this system just for games but is very unhappy with the sound quality. After trying some of her games out It sounds like everything is coming from inside a tunnel. This is the second set of speakers she has tried because she thought the speakers were the problem. I went into the sound options and all looked right. Does anyone know whats going on?

03-09-2008, 05:21 AM
There isn't some kind of third party sound mixer, is there? On my HP Media Center with vista, it has a realtek sound card that has a separate audio control program "RealTek HD Audio Manager" that has an option to add effects to the sound.

gunslinger
03-09-2008, 06:09 AM
Actually this one has exactly that on it. I went in and set the effects to none. I still get the same thing. Should I uninstall this altogether?

03-09-2008, 06:22 AM
I'd probably try to just update to the latest realtek drivers, maybe they'll reset something. I'm out of ideas if the realtek software doesn't change anything.

Edit: You may also want to check this: Right click on the volume icon in the taskbar, choose Playback devices, then go through each output option there and go into properties then the enhancements tab. If the "enviroment" thing is checked, uncheck it. Mine is working so that it changes the settings in the Realtek software and the Windows thing at the same time...but maybe something messed up on that where the realtek software's not changing anything?

gunslinger
03-09-2008, 06:51 AM
I'd probably try to just update to the latest realtek drivers, maybe they'll reset something. I'm out of ideas if the realtek software doesn't change anything.

Edit: You may also want to check this: Right click on the volume icon in the taskbar, choose Playback devices, then go through each output option there and go into properties then the enhancements tab. If the "enviroment" thing is checked, uncheck it. Mine is working so that it changes the settings in the Realtek software and the Windows thing at the same time...but maybe something messed up on that where the realtek software's not changing anything?

I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see what happens.

Bryce W
03-09-2008, 01:58 PM
This really sounds like a software issue like the others said. More specifically, probably a wrong sound profile. You know those profiles that sound applications have to emulate a large hall or a small room?

I think 14049752 nailed it with what he said.

Nathan H
03-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Hi I had a similar situation it turned out to be a realteck audio manger setting was incorrect, in the sound effects tab, the enviroment setting was on auditorium, I set this to none, and the sound returned to normal.:D

gunslinger
03-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Ok, I went in and found where you can add the sound effects and set it to none. It sounds better now, but still has static in it. Cheap speakers?

syst3merror
03-10-2008, 03:06 AM
make sure gunslinger, that you check in the sound settings and make sure that you have the "mic boost" unselected. I remember our sound was really staticy and by unchecking that box it removed the static.

gunslinger
03-10-2008, 05:34 AM
Seems to be as clear as I'm going to get it with these speakers. I went ahead and did my normal clean up/speed up and I'm sending it on its way tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice guys.