PDA

View Full Version : [solved] CD shows all files with Internet Explorer icon

syst3merror
03-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Anyone ever experience this? It started after installing IE7 I believe. Anyone know how to remedy this? Aside from "uninstall IE7 and use firefox". I already use firefox but I like to have my computer completely up-to-date with everything so I have IE7 but can't figure out how to change my icons back.

It is only on data cds that I see this.

I have tried tweakui and the repair icons but that didn't fix it either.

Here is a screenshot of what I'm talking about:

generalj
03-08-2008, 11:27 PM
well something got screwed up in your registry it looks.

I believe tweakUI can try and repair icons. Search Microsoft for powertools or tweakui and in that app after you install there should be a "repair icon" option

03-09-2008, 03:17 AM
Sounds like your iconcache file is messed up. Simple fix, just delete "C:/Documents and Settings/Username/Local Settings/Application Data/IconCache.db" for XP or "C:/Users/user/AppDate/Local/IconCache.db" for Vista (although I know you're running XP...)
Reboot, the file will be automatically rebuilt and your icons should be correct. Let us know if it works.

syst3merror
03-09-2008, 04:27 AM
ok, I tried everyones suggestions and none of them work.....but....

Good news is, I did find a fix just in case anyone ever runs into this problem.

Don't ask me why, but if you have this problem, right-click your desktop and go into display settings and change the "color quality" to the lowest and click apply and say yes to the popup...then change it back to what you just had and click apply and say yes....it will solve the problem. Weird huh? lol

Oh well, thanks for the help guys!!!

reference: support.microsoft.com/kb/132668/en-us

03-09-2008, 05:31 AM
Glad to hear you fixed it.
That's strange that deleting the file didn't work since it sounds like changing the color depth does the same thing.....but it's a LOT easier your way, anyway. Good information to file away! :)

rchuncleskeleton
09-14-2008, 04:40 PM
heck yeah man....I was beginning to wonder what the heck was wrong with my laptop. Great find man, thank you.