PDA

View Full Version : Hmm not sure what to do (Angry Customer, My First)

Andyuk2007
03-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Hi all, I was at a call out today to spring some life in an old computer so i did the usual and got paid e.t.c.......................hours later i get a phone call from the owner complaining that it keeps crashing on him showing a bsod and he says its my fault but at the time i left the computer it was 100% working condition, i did say to him that it was it was fine when i had left it.

I did say to him that it has clearly developed another fault since me leaving and starting being very inpolite so i just hung up the phone as i'm not used to be spoken to in that manner :(

What should I have done do you think as I've never had to deal with a angry person before

Simmy
03-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Hi Andy,

It's about time you had a pain in the ass customer :p

What work did you carry out on the computer? For him to start shouting at you without giving you a chance to rectify the problem is unreasonable, especially if it's nothing you've done.

You could just write him off as a customer, which some people on here will tell you not to do, but it's your choice at the end of the day. Or you could phone him back now that he's calmed down (hopefully!) and discuss it with him. If he's getting a BSOD, it will help you pinpoint the problem over the phone. If he starts getting angry again tell him you'll just hang up unless he starts talking to you in a reasonable manner.

Andyuk2007
03-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Hi Andy,

It's about time you had a pain in the ass customer :p

What work did you carry out on the computer? For him to start shouting out you without giving you a chance to rectify the problem is unreasonable, especially if it's nothing you've done.

You could just write him off as a customer, which some people on here will tell you not to do, but it's your choice at the end of the day. Or you could phone him back now that he's calmed down (hopefully!) and discuss it with him. If he's getting a BSOD, it will help you pinpoint the problem over the phone. If he starts getting angry again tell him you'll just hang up unless he starts talking to you in a reasonable manner.

Hiya, He had a slow computer which i did some work on to speed it up, I was succesful in doing this as its a procedure ive done time and time again with no problems developing after i've left the house. hours later though he phones me and says his computer is crashing and showing a bsod :confused:

He hasnt phoned me since 6pm but it did upset me as obviously it must a completly new problem that developed since i went as it was working fine when i was there and i always leave it for 10 mins to make sure everything is fine before i depart a job

focuz
03-07-2008, 07:38 PM
A bsod error can be caused by a registry error, so it may have been something you did if you where tweaking with it. But other then that nothing a performance service call would do.

On the other side the memory could also be bad which may have been the cause of the performance issue to begin with.

I would say you should atleast check it out to see what the error is about. If it may possibly be linked to you in anyway then repair is free. But if it is something different like bad memory then make sure the customer knows you will be charging more plus parts, etc.

MrMille
03-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Hiya, He had a slow computer which i did some work on to speed it up, I was succesful in doing this as its a procedure ive done time and time again with no problems developing after i've left the house.

Hi Andy, What did you do?

hawks5999
03-10-2008, 03:27 AM
Hi Andy,

Thanks for posting a scenario that would demonstrate why everyone on this board should have E&O insurance. I'm not saying you did anything wrong but in the even that you did. This situation could go ugly... more so if this was a business customer vs. a home customer.

Hope it works out. I agree with focuz on steps to resolve.

SDPCM
03-25-2008, 12:11 AM
A bsod error can be caused by a registry error, so it may have been something you did if you where tweaking with it. But other then that nothing a performance service call would do.

On the other side the memory could also be bad which may have been the cause of the performance issue to begin with.

I would say you should at least check it out to see what the error is about. If it may possibly be linked to you in anyway then repair is free. But if it is something different like bad memory then make sure the customer knows you will be charging more plus parts, etc.

This seems like good advice. If the customer was cursing you out, threatening you with violence, etc. then you had every reason to hang up on him so I don't think you should feel badly about that.

Without knowing exactly what you did on the computer, it is hard to say what could be responsible for the BSOD. If I were in your shoes I'd probably think there was a chance (however small) that in my work I may have caused the problem. Besides, I would also be curious to see what the problem was.

I would probably give the guy time to cool off and then call him back, explain that you refuse to be spoken to in that manner but that if he is polite and respectful then perhaps you can come to an amicable agreement. Of course, if he is still enraged and threatening, then it's probably not worth it. Hopefully he doesn't badmouth you to other neighborhood customers.

htsource
03-25-2008, 03:36 AM
Is your customer somewhat familar with PC? Sometimes when dealing with someone who has no ideas with computers - thinking they work prefectly, can't go wrong. When something does go wrong especially after he just paid and it's not working. No wonder he's upset!

But I do agree to take down what the BSOD is all about, what file/driver failing. Do a lookup and find out if it has something related to what you've done to tweaking the registry. Unfortunately, even if the BSOD has nothing to do with the work you did, the customer may still insist you broke it :(

Sometimes I'm thinking I should be a plumber or electrican. Here they make more than a PC tech.

vr6rafal
03-25-2008, 03:31 PM
I would always go back, never argue with a client. I give 45-days guarantee on my repair. I would go and see what the problem is and most of the time fix it for free, just to keep a good name and most likely get a return client!!

Pc Fixed Right
03-25-2008, 05:09 PM
To make a long story short I had a similar situation. The client did curse at me alot but I kept my cool and looked at the PC again. It turned out the Ati video card was causing problems so I recommended an Nvidia card and the client agreed. Needless to say this guy has brought me work from his friends even though initially he was dissatisfied. Once it was established that it was not my fault everything was okay.