PDA

View Full Version : New Website - Simple Approach

Itech
09-20-2010, 10:54 AM
I have revamped my website, striped it bare.
Im not a website developer but HTML is easy to work around.

www.itech-computers.co.uk

What do you think?
I would appreciate criticism

16k_zx81
09-20-2010, 01:32 PM
looks like times new roman on my machine. I think the content is ok but the fonts need some attention.

typo
>> 10 Collection and delivery feen <<

typo
Visit our shop, view contact us page for directions to our premise and opening hours.

Tustworthy is one word, but I think you need another adjective to describe 'qualifications'
All our technicians are fully qualified at Repairing Computers, They all hold several well known trust worthy qualifications from within the industry.

I think the most common website mistake in our industry is the assumption that people have an interest in reading through them. In fact, by the time they get to the rest of your site, the phone may have rung, the next repair site may have loaded, or their pc may have crashed. You need the front page to immediately compel the viewer to pick up the phone or submit a contact form. If it doesnt, you're losing valuable business opportunities on every site hit.

Itech
09-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Thank you zx81 for your feedback,
i need to improve on my proof reading.

You have gave me some great ideas which i am going to work on, Front Page optimisation is my focus for the week now.

lassenpc
09-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Agree with font, size was small for me (had to squint)

-The right side menu, some words are capitalized, some are not, (we and We)

-Under 'Computer Laptop Repair and Services', third paragraph, "...it will be cheapest to bring your computer to our shop but if thats not possible" is a contraction and should either be that is or that's

-2nd section, capitalization, 'Business solutions and Computer network Management'

- Bespoke software implementation and management Missing punctuation at end

-On 'Services Page', We can Setup most Hardware in your system from Setup and Hardware should not be capitalized

Only other thing that has jumped out at me is in the main logo, the font type for "The Intelligent Solution"; I know it's supposed to be a G in 'Intelligent', but it sure looks like the letter P instead for some reason.

Otherwise, looks good! Overall the site is easy on the eyes (except for the small font), navigation is easy / stands out; you don't have 'too much' info on the home page, so it is not cluttered. Good job.

Itech
09-22-2010, 09:08 PM
lassen your comments are much appreciated, you have a good eye for detail! Thanks.

What font and size do you guys suggest?

cooke1099
09-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Site looks pretty good, but I also have a few suggestions for you.
Most of the time I use font sizes ranging from 11px to 14px for my main paragraphs (p). It also, usually, depends on the font that I am using. You can pull the screen resolutions from Google Analytics of your users to help you make a better decision on this too. If most of your users are using 1024x768 or larger it is safe to go with a 12 to 14px, as it won't be too large for 800x600 or too small for 1900x1080.

It would be advisable on your
body {font-family:"MS Sans Serif"}
to include additional fonts to ensure you cover all of your users, as some may not have "MS Sans Serif", so it will revert to "Times New Roman" and throw off your whole scheme. You can type it in as this if you want to use Sans Serif fonts:
body {font-family:"MS Sans Serif", "Times New Roman", "Sans Serif";
Most web designers avoid using Sans Serif fonts as they can be hard to read in the larger screen resolutions. You should try looking at Serif fonts as they tend to be cleaner and easier to read.
body {font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica;}

One last thing I saw (besides a few typos :) ), was you might want to check your CSS and your hover states on your (a)s. On your right sidebar when you hover over your links they create the "crazy flash" (They try to change back and forth crazily from 9px to 18px), and this can turn many users off of your site. I would make the font-size about 14px to make sure your "What Services We Offer" link does not line wrap.

I hope that helps, and if you need any more help let me know.

PS: If you are building your site, make sure you look at getting Firebug extension for Firefox, it will help you tons when you are designing. It allows you to make realtime changes to your site and preview them before changing the HTML.

AtYourService
09-23-2010, 01:26 AM
the rollover font for "what services we offer" makes the whole menu move when mouse goes over it.
should shorten it to "what we offer"

PcTek9
09-23-2010, 02:19 AM
i love everything but the logo.

the logo doesn't pop.

no colours separate it... or make it stand out...

the website itself is great
easy to navigate - i love your vision on that .

yeah you need to think about asking these dudes on this logo site to design you a logo for like 25 bucks or so
you give them all x amount of days
show them what you are looking for...
and then they come up with a great logo...
you pick the one you like the best from a bunch of submissions.
it's great..

They do it all the time on this forum in the business section.