PDA

View Full Version : Daisy Chain a Switch (hub)

mh348
03-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Is there a Maximum distance when daisy-chaining (linking two switches with a cross-over cable)?

I have a Client with PC's in two buildings, 7 PC's in Building A and 1 pc in Building B, they have a single UTP cable running underground from Building A to B.

Now they would like to add another PC to Building B, so instead of laying a new cable I taught I could simply add a Switch to Building B and make the cable a crossover. the distance of the cable is around 35 to 40 meters.

Would this work or would it cause problems?

acs
03-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Maximum length for a cat 5 cable is around 90 meters.
What you propose to do looks ok if you are using switchs rather than hubs.

thecoldone06
03-06-2008, 01:57 PM
The maximum length for cat5 is 100 meters. So your length of 30 or 40 is just fine. As far as switches or hubs, there shouldn't be any problem using either. However, switches are much more efficient and there would be less network traffic. I don't think with as few PC's as there are that your going to see any network problems using a hub but again switches are more efficient. I would definitely add a switch to each location rather than stretching another network cable.

geekhelp4u
03-06-2008, 04:40 PM
I have done many runs in the Army over 100 meters and still had no problems, so for your short run, it should be no problem... I do however recommend that you use a highly shielded cat5 cable for the building to building run, especially if by underground you mean buried! As mentioned above, a switch is by far the best route to take here! If you are using an over the counter switch, check and see if it is smart or not! If it is a smart switch, you will not need a cross over cable, just a normal hook up will work fine! If the cable is buried, and you have the time and funds, it is best to run your cable through conduit. If money is an issue, simple pvc piping will help protect the cable from 1) the elements and 2) the problem i have faced the most... someone digging and cutting the line.

tkrabec
03-07-2008, 01:39 AM
Drop some Fiber if you can. if not put a hub/switch(preferred) and use different networks in each location (less cross building chatter) ie 192.168.1.x(building a) 192.168.2.x (building b)