PDA

View Full Version : RAM Voltage Query

IG88
03-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Hi guys,
Firstly as I'm a new member I would like to say hello to all of you and thanks for the great site. Currently I'm studying the A+ and I've found this site to be most helpful.

I do have a question. My current system has 1GB of PC6400 value Kingston RAM installed, running at 1.8V. I want to install 2GB of Patriot "high performance" RAM which is rated at 2.2V as I like to pass the time on the odd FPS. My concern is that upping the voltage in the BIOS will cause problems with the Kingston RAM and the system as a whole. Is this likely to be a problem or not? I did consider upping the voltage in increments and see what happened. Maybe I would be better off removing the 1GB Kingston RAM and just have the 2GB Patriot operating at recommended voltage? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Simmy
03-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Running the Kingston at 2.2v will work. You're more likely to run into problems by not running the Patriot RAM at the required voltage.

What latency timings do your sticks of memory run at? Your Value RAM will undoubtedly have slack timings, but how do they compare to the timings of your Patriot RAM?

Memory timings/frequency are usually set by the speed of the slowest DIMM installed. Running 2 fast DIMMS and 1 slow DIMM will negate the effect of having fast RAM, so I would imagine running just the Patriot RAM is the best option.

IG88
03-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the reply Simmy. I cant seem to locate any more info then the fact that the Kingston kvr800d2n5k2/1g ram is CL5. The patriot ram is 4-4-4-12 so lower latency as expected. Just tested the system with all the RAM in at 2.0v, will try 2.2v later. As you suggest I will try with just the Patriot RAM in too and see how that works. Is there a huge difference between CL5 and CL4?

Blues
03-06-2008, 02:37 PM
I honestly don't see a difference in the two but I have yet to push a system with it to be able to see it. I always try to use lower voltage RAM I do not like to use over voltage as it generates more heat. I have never had an issue running RAM rated for over voltage at the stock voltage of 1.8v. You typically can not get the high CL4 preformance and will be running CL5 but it will work.