PDA

View Full Version : What is freelancing and why does it get people customers?

MMAUY
03-05-2008, 06:01 AM
I have been hearing a lot about freelancing Im not to sure about what that is but I have been hearing if you get hooked up with a freelance company they get you clients or leads, they charge you a bit or take some of the profit but they get you a lot of clients and leads.I am wondering if anyone has done this? and if so what was your experience? Would you recommend it? What is a good freelance company to join for web design?

Thanks everyone.

generalj
03-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Freelancing, is working in a specific job field without actually working in a full time commitment job like a regular job.

Web developers
3d artists
musicians
journalist

these are all famous type of jobs that freelance a lot.

so you can freelance on your own, do your own work, find your own clients etc.

you can also have firms, or agency's find the work for you but you have to sign on their terms, usually a contract of length e.g. 1 to 6 months to 1 year. and then the firm will take money from your pay as a "finder fee" because you find the job through them.

I mean if you design web sites you can freelance fairly easy just by designing site for ppl and charging them without a rea company etc etc. A lot of ppl freelance in between jobs or part time to get extra income.

its basically to sum it all up jobs in which you are not a full-time regular status type employee with someone.

Nathan H
03-05-2008, 09:51 AM
It's a bit like being a temp.

In the eyes of the customer you work for someone else, in reality in the UK the company get the extra staff, with out the legal issues of having staff, such as pensions, tax etc.... because the contact you.

E.G. if Geek Squad needed a wed designer, they could take you on as a freelance web designer.

Pay you per job, rather than an hourly salary, with no benefits, no health care, etc... because, your not their employee , but one of their outsourced subcontractors.

Thats how I think it goes, if I am wrong please accept my humble apologies.

MMAUY
03-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Oh I get it, thanks for the info guys, has anyone worked with these companies? What company is a good one to go with?

IcedFalcon
03-05-2008, 07:42 PM
It depends on what you do, how much you charge, and how well you are able to market yourself. I am a freelance content writer/journalist and haven't found an agency which suits my needs.

MMAUY
03-05-2008, 11:53 PM
It depends on what you do, how much you charge, and how well you are able to market yourself. I am a freelance content writer/journalist and haven't found an agency which suits my needs.

So as a freelancer you set your own price? and market yourself? I am interested in doing this for web design, were is a good place to find these agencies?

IcedFalcon
03-06-2008, 03:08 PM
In freelancing you can set your own price and you do have to market yourself. I would start off with guru.com though my recent experience with them is that they are so saturated with cheap work for cheap results that it is hard for a respectable freelancer to get started.
I don't recommend elance has been changing their prices recently. I left when one of my projects was canceled right after I won it. I never started the job or got paid for it yet elance started bugging me for their commission.

cmonova
03-06-2008, 04:13 PM
You can go to a site such as www.getafreelancer.com and sign up there. Then you can bid on things that you think you can do. Only problem with free lancing is theres a ton of others doing it and some of them do it for an amazingly low price

MMAUY
03-06-2008, 08:02 PM
You can go to a site such as www.getafreelancer.com and sign up there. Then you can bid on things that you think you can do. Only problem with free lancing is theres a ton of others doing it and some of them do it for an amazingly low price

I hey thanks I just signed up but wow they have some really cheap prices on there do you know of any other good freelancing sites?

cmonova
03-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Just follow this link and sign up for each one. Not sure where you are located but i'll tell you now freelancing is very very difficult especially for web/graphics etc. Alot of people in the field work dirt cheap and i'm sure you don't want to do that.