PDA

View Full Version : laptop drive not working on adapter

MrMille
03-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Guys,

have a laptop with a bad drive.

When I plug the drive into my USB to IDE convert, it's not powering up? WHY? therefore, it's not recognised by my recovery tool.

Ghost can see the drive, but when I plug my external into the laptop, it doesn't see it, WHY?

When i try to boot the laptop, I get the Windows splash screen, then the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME BSOD. How come? if the drive is totally dead (which may not be the case) why does the flash screen come up?

What gives?, this should be a straight forward data recovery.

jamesbhp
03-04-2008, 09:43 PM
had that error on a laptop last week.. hard drive ended up failing diagnostic tests.. so we replaced the drive..

does the drive connect to your PC via slaving it through IDE/SATA?

dracken
03-05-2008, 09:25 PM
What kind of IDE adapter are you using? I have seen some that have 2 usb ports on it and you have to plug them both up to get enough power to run the hard drive.

MrMille
03-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Quick description of the connector;
It is powered by a single USB connector, via a thick, shielded silver braided cable. At the end of this, is a block, on one side, a 2.5" laptop IDE connector, on the other a 3.5" drive connector block.

Maybe it's a piece of junk? it came recommended.

Got the data using Knoppix (which could not write to my NTFS external drive) :eek:

Pc Fixed Right
03-05-2008, 11:09 PM
I have had 2 IDE/Sata to USB converters fail. I than plugged the hard drive through available ide/sata port via slave and the computer saw the drives fine. The converters seem to break easily.

MrMille
03-06-2008, 06:46 PM
If you don't use a USE to 3.5"/2.5" adapter, what do you use?
Is there a SATA to 2.5" drive adapter?