PDA

View Full Version : So, how do YOU repair Vista issues???

iladelf
03-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Since Vista doesn't have a repair install option (or none that I know of), how are you folks going about fixing Vista issues, such as...

1)Virus removal
2)Spyware removal
3)General repair of the Vista OS

Are the spyware/virus-killing tools that you use in XP doing the same work in Vista, or are you using new ones?

Think this post can help all of us fellow techs.

PS Here's a post regarding this I made from another forum. Not much info regarding a repair install, I'm afraid.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/128015-retail-dvd-will-perform-vista-repair-upgrade-install.html

gunslinger
03-03-2008, 11:30 PM
"So, how do YOU repair Vista issues???"

Install Windows XP, problem solved.

iladelf
03-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Gunslinger, I'm ROTFL, after your comment!

Yep, XP shore duz solv lots uh perty problums wif Vista! Yup, Yup!

Bryce W
03-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Install Windows XP
Damn, beat me to it.

To Virus and spyware removal, the same way I repair XP.
For Operating system repair I use the recovery console on the Vista CD.

gunslinger
03-03-2008, 11:47 PM
I find most antispyware and antivirus programs that I used for XP also work with Vista, although they take about 3 times as long to scan the system. Oh and don't forget to double click the program icon, then go out for lunch, do some shopping, go to the gym, take a shower, by the time you get back the program should be ready to scan. As for a repair install, it never seemed to work very well for me in xp, even if I could do it in Vista I wouldn't. I'd back up data and do a clean install. Most likely with XP if drivers are available for your system. I have seen in the past year that XP can have a few viruses and many hundreds of spyware programs on it and it will still run off and leave Vista.

As a side note, be careful what you use to scan Vista. Make sure you use the most recent "Vista approved" version. Then pray real hard.

gadz00ks1
03-04-2008, 02:02 AM
Well so far so good with Vista. I have not dealt with it but once so far and the spyware infection was not that bad and I used some of the same stuff I had for XP. But Im sure that will not be the in future. Oh yeah I love the solution offer to fix Vista for good!!! LOL!!!

Pc Fixed Right
03-04-2008, 08:04 PM
I use a USB to IDE calble and plug that drive into my USB port and run a virus scan if the client has Vista on their machine. My Xp Machine can perform the scan much faster.