PDA

View Full Version : Hackintoshing a Netbook?

Vicenarian
09-10-2010, 05:39 PM
I want to get more into Apple repair/troubleshooting, but right now I don't have the cash for a MB or even a Mac Mini. And I don't want to buy a used Apple (for various reasons, I don't like buying anything used when it comes to technology). So, right now, I think I want to go with a hackintosh (netbook).

Websites online say that the Dell Mini 9/10v series work well for this, as well as certain models of the ASUS EEE PC series, along with a handful of other netbooks...all around the $300-400 range brand new.

Has anybody here had any experience with this? And if so, do you find it works well?

Kenhelms
09-10-2010, 05:56 PM
the Dell mini 9 is a very good choice I hear. http://www.osx86project.org/ has a lot of tutorials, etc.

This thread should prolly be moved to technician only. I believe hackintoshing breaks a EULA.

Thedog
09-10-2010, 06:15 PM
the Dell mini 9 is a very good choice I hear. http://www.osx86project.org/ has a lot of tutorials, etc.

This thread should prolly be moved to technician only. I believe hackintoshing breaks a EULA.

Somehow I don't think it breaks EULA because of:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/08/quos-latest-mac-clone-to-feature-asetek-liquid-cooling-core-i7/

?

09-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Somehow I don't think it breaks EULA because of:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/08/quos-latest-mac-clone-to-feature-asetek-liquid-cooling-core-i7/

?

No, it certainly does.

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx106.pdf

Section 2A. Specifically says "Apple Branded Computer"

NeutronTech
09-10-2010, 06:43 PM
You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so.

Yeah, it is a violation of the rules. Is there a version that can be installed on non apple equipment?

09-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Yeah, it is a violation of the rules. Is there a version that can be installed on non apple equipment?

No ( Filler Dots. ....................................)

Kenhelms
09-10-2010, 08:52 PM
If I remember reading correctly, there was a company that was selling a drop in unit that was supposed to aid in the hackintoshing process. I forget what it was called though, they more than likely went the way of Psystar.

ljtechservices
09-11-2010, 04:20 AM
No, it certainly does.

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx106.pdf

Section 2A. Specifically says "Apple Branded Computer"

i have a mini9 thats hackintoshed.
it's also apple branded.
when i bought OSX they provided apple stickers.
I put the sticker on the dell mini 9, covering up the dell logo sticker and viola!

JosephLeo
09-11-2010, 05:52 AM
i have a mini9 thats hackintoshed.
it's also apple branded.
when i bought OSX they provided apple stickers.
I put the sticker on the dell mini 9, covering up the dell logo sticker and viola!

Somehow I don't think that's considered branding. In which case it is though, then it's considered fraud since it isn't an Apple product. Just sayin' :p

pcmac
09-11-2010, 11:35 AM
doesnt the hack crash when you try to update?

why not try a mini mac; only $700,for newst OS

ljtechservices
09-11-2010, 12:01 PM
doesnt the hack crash when you try to update?

why not try a mini mac; only $700,for newst OS

My Mini 9 did crash a few times when trying to update. It's been over a year and I haven't really messed with it yet.
It's not of much use to me except as a novelty. Especially since I couldnt get screen out to reliably work so I could hook it to a projector.
I'm probably going to put Ubuntu back on it soon.

Our local apple store frequently has used macs for sale and I'm probably going to get one of those in the next year.

ljtechservices
09-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Somehow I don't think that's considered branding. In which case it is though, then it's considered fraud since it isn't an Apple product. Just sayin' :p
hahah I was just joking about the branding.
My white board is an Apple product too because I put the other sticker on it.

Not sure how it can be fraud. I bought both the Computer and the Software.
Neither Apple or Dell lost anything because of my actions. They got paid and I got a novelty item that isn't completely functional.

No real personal gain involved because it's not really a complete system. some things do not work at all or reliably like time machine and video out.

But then again in the pure form of the word It may be fraud since the OS had to be tricked into accepting the hardware. Oh and the whole EULA thing which I never bother to read.

Silly thing of it all is that Maxing out the RAM on the mini coupled with the cost of the OS added up to about a hundred dollars less than I could have bought a mac mini for.

If I got paid for the 5-10 hours i spent messing with it at my normal rate I could have purchased a Macbook pro with it.

Vicenarian
09-11-2010, 02:36 PM
ouch...the issues with the updates crashing it, and other things involved...maybe I'm better off buying a real mac after all...

ljtechservices
09-11-2010, 03:02 PM
I use it occasionally for browsing while sitting on the couch. but the real attraction for it was "Hey look what I did"
YMMV

vdub12
09-14-2010, 06:51 PM
I have a Dell Mini10v and it runs flawlessly with OSX 10.6.

Its a great system, Right now its triple booted with OSX, Windows 7, and kubuntu. Its in my tech bag all the time and I use it on a daily basis. Normally I boot Windows 7 but when I need OSX for something I have it. I was at a mac store the other day looking at there new stuff and all I have to say is my Dell makes a better MAC. :-)

ljtechservices
09-14-2010, 08:14 PM
I have a Dell Mini10v and it runs flawlessly with OSX 10.6.

I wish i had have held out for the bigger screen.

vdub12
09-15-2010, 04:26 AM
I wish i had have held out for the bigger screen.

Yeah I have worked on a few mini9's and its a big difference. The 10v has a different resolution to so screens in OSX do not scale off the screen as much like they do with the mini9. The only fuss I have with the mini10v is the touch pad sucks. However, I have heard that in just about every review I have read about the mini10v. The mini9 has a way better touch pad. I get around that with a bluetooth mouse.

You can still pick up mini10v's from Dell outlet. The new Dell mini does not make a great hackintosh, the new Intel graphics chipset it uses does not support 3D acceleration in OSX. From what I read the mini10v is the best netbook to date for OSX support. Thats the primary reason I purchased it. I wanted to start supporting MAC's so I figured I better get a computer that would run OSX and at the time I needed a good on site computer that I could fit in my tech bag.

meanderer
10-07-2010, 10:30 PM
hackintosh violates the OSX EULA, so be careful treading these grounds :P

badkinsdesigns
10-19-2010, 02:54 PM
I have an MSI Wind U100, and absolutely LOVE this netbook. It is essentially my primary computer at this point. Upgraded memory to two gigs, and it dual boots XP Home and Ubuntu perfectly.

A buddy of mine has the same machine that triple boots to XP Home, Ubuntu, and OsX. To my knowledge he has had no issues with it, though I will ask about updating OsX. As said before, I think this is more for the cool factor and experience rather than for actually learning to use and troubleshoot OsX. Though I used my Ubuntu install regularly for some light programming.