PDA

View Full Version : Common "Get me out of this hole" clause with customers

Nathan H
03-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Every now and again, we seem to say something very innocent and it gets taken the wrong way, or we have a PC that works fine at our place, so we phone the customer and tell them its ready, they ask you to deliver it and connect it, which gladly you do, however....

When turning it on, there is a fault...

At on point in time or another we have all been there,

what I am asking is there any "Get me out of this hole" clause that you use with customers, when certain situations arise?

One example can be found at this old thread.

http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1786 :o

Bryce, may be an interesting topic, for an article ;)

Jory
03-01-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm sure everyone has had that happen to them at one point or another.

Just remain calm and confident. Then explain to them how great it is that it decided to malfunction while you were there so you can get it taken care of immediately. Your customer is going to take their cues from you. If you act like it's a positive situation they most likely will too. Explain to them what could have possibly went wrong and then how it's going to be fixed.

If it's a problem customer or a time sensitive issue make it clear to them it's now your biggest priority and empathize with them. They want the problem fixed and they'll feel a lot better if they're not alone and the solution is already being worked on.

The situation you linked to is particularly bad because as you said it was fit for the bin, but luckily it was also a good customer who is likely to trust you. Tell her you incorrectly diagnosed the problem because there was a virus and the behavior it was exhibiting was consistent with that, but when you fixed the virus issue the problem remained. Then tell her it's a mobo problem and that the repair costs are probably more than it's worth. Don't charge her for the format and offer to sell her a new laptop and restore her backups to it along with software, etc. You'll have to eat that time, but you're getting a possible laptop sale and backup restore job out of it.