PDA

View Full Version : Norton Clone

parttimetechie
09-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Hi everyone,

I am trying to clone my dad's Win 7 computer using Norton Ghost 15. We get a successful clone and image but when we load the image to the second hard drive and try to boot, we get a BOOTMGR not found error message. I tried repairing with the windows recovery disk, but while it did fix it, the computer would not boot into windows, and it said windows was not genuine. Seems to me that it should have done an exact copy.

I copied the 100MB system partition and thought that was the problem. Any help is appreciated.

Logicbytes
09-05-2010, 06:36 AM
Are you using the cloned drive in the same computer it was cloned from?

CPU
09-05-2010, 06:09 PM
I love Acronis for cloning, you just copy the NT signature in the process and make sure to remove the source disk before boot. No genuine sounds like new hardware you are trying to run this clone on and I'm not sure how this works in Ghost because I stopped using it a long time ago. In Acronis you can bare metal restore with a Universal restore to overcome this issue. I am in no way affiliated with Acronis this is just my experience with the two products. If its the same system try removing the source disk and if that doesn't work try using bootmgr repair commands from a boot media.

parttimetechie
09-05-2010, 09:27 PM
It is all the same computer. I just copied disk one to disk two and disk two would not boot. Turns out it was the windows 7 partition would not copy over to disk two, so disk two would not boot.