PDA

View Full Version : Finding License keys off slaved drive

Cadishead Computers
09-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Hi all, apologies if this has been asked previously.

I have a clients laptop in the shop, which is in dire need of a n&p.

It is running win 7 HP x64. Starts up with IRQ_not_less_or_equal.

I have attempted safe mode, same thing happens.
Safe mode networking, same.
Last known - same
system restore - same
system repair - fails, and does not complete.

BIOS put back to default settings.
Swapped the ram around - same.

Hence my reluctance to N&P it, but it is a last resort.

But, I do not know how I can access his office 2007 key off the slaved drive.

I currently have his drive hooked up to my docking station, have attempted to run magic jelly bean, with loading a hive.

I have pointed the hive to the slaved drive, and then the windows directory, but apparently the hive loading fails.

What am I doing wrong, or is there any other way I can access this information?

Apologies, but this is a URGENT request, as the laptop in question is needed today if pref, so my client can complete his PAYE. As usual, there is no backup.

A HUGE thanks to anyone who can please help me out..

gazza
09-03-2010, 02:39 PM
You need GetKey 3.0

http://www.whatsmypass.com/getkey-3-0

Pc Fixed Right
09-03-2010, 02:49 PM
produkey will help you. LinkY (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html) just plug drive into a working machine and point to the right drive letter/windows

Have you used whocrashed to see check the mini dump files to see what is casuing the error?

Cadishead Computers
09-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Thanks for that Gaz, unfortuantely, im running 64bit 7. The prog your recommended only runs x32.

Pc Fixed Right
09-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Here is the download for the X64 version of produkey (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/produkey-x64.zip)

Cadishead Computers
09-03-2010, 03:30 PM
many thanks for the link. i have downloaded, installed it.. BUT, after speaking to my client, they only had the trial software, and didnt actually purchase a license..

/rant on

And heres me, dashing around the drive for the past couple of hours, trying every known conceivable idea to get the key!!

<< Hitting myself upside of my head, thinking why didnt I ask them that earlier!.

/rant off.

Thanks for the assistance guys, I really appreciate it :)

joydivision
09-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Glad other people are getting their share of head aches! :p

ATTech
09-03-2010, 04:59 PM
That's one of the easiest issues to fix...

Did you look at the dump file to see what driver is throwing that error?

studiot
09-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Be aware that MSE detects key extractors as malware and deletes them. So if you carry one around on a usb key - watch out.

Cadishead Computers
09-03-2010, 09:57 PM
No unfortunately, I didn't check the dump properly. Als PC Fixed rights, and my posts happened at the same time.. So again, unfortunately, i did not use who crashed.

Only a couple of hours ago, I re-checked the thread, and found the post, by which time, it was too late, reformat was done; updates downloaded, and all clients data transferred back to his pc. Only now waiting on my client to get the HMRC disc to me, in order to put the PAYE back on.

But I sincerely thank you all for the aid you gave me.

As an aside, if I can ask, ATT, how can it be one of the easiest issues to fix, if you cannot even get windows to boot?, apart from slaving it to another pc?

Apologies once again, its the first time I have come across this particular issue at hand.

Pc Fixed Right
09-03-2010, 10:00 PM
just copy the mini dump files to a working machine (obviously delete any mini dump folder there first) than run whocrashed it will tell you what is the most likely culprit causing the issue.

joydivision
09-03-2010, 10:04 PM
If you use the windows recovery consule you can delete and replace drivers without windows booting up. That is only any use if you know the driver which is causing the issue though and I've only done it with XP and not Vista/7 or 64-bit.

Cadishead Computers
09-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Ahh cool.. thanks for that guys. You learn something new every day in this game :)

PS.. I tried but couldnt use the recovery console in this one joy. For some unknown reason, everything inside there seemed to fall at the first hurdle.

joydivision
09-03-2010, 10:11 PM
I would have done the same as you, it was probably fixable without a N&P but sometimes life is too short.

Cadishead Computers
09-03-2010, 10:13 PM
definately, when its required for wages.. and with no backup!.

Tomorrow, morning, they will have it all back up and running, with a external hard drive, and a backup solution sold. This is the lesson they have learned.. quite an expensive one..

AtYourService
09-04-2010, 04:42 AM
I still need to update GetKey for x64 systems, I have been super busy at the office and with my charity to sit down and hammer something out, hopefully in the next month or so :)