PDA

View Full Version : Your choice for best anti-spyware

geekhelp4u
02-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Anti-Spyware

What would be your FINAL decision based on the current versions of the following software to install on a clients machine and why?

Spyware Terminator (which has real time protection and automatic updates)
SUPERAnti-Spyware
Spyware Blaster

Simmy
02-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Can I say none of the above and add Spyware Doctor to the list? :p

JRDtechnet
02-28-2008, 11:54 PM
I used Spywareterminator for the longest time until I found out about SuperAntiSpyware while there both great at detection with Spywareterminator I'd find myself loading unlocker and having to manually remove and executable files that it couldnt get rid of for whatever reason. I find myself having to do I lot less manual removal SuperAntiSpyware.

gunslinger
02-29-2008, 03:51 AM
I always install Spyware Blaster on every PC I tuch. I know it does not do scans, and it does not delete spyware thats already on the system. The reason I like it is that it offers realtime passive protection without bothering the user or crying out every few seconds. It also uses no resources. I have found that about 90-95% of the computers I work on the users will not use any program I install. They wont update it or run it, and if it bothers them they uninstall it or close it out. All I have on my system is Kaspersky antivirus and Spywareblaster.

jamesbhp
02-29-2008, 04:02 AM
Super-Antispyware is my friend.

geekhelp4u
02-29-2008, 04:37 AM
I always install Spyware Blaster on every PC I tuch. I know it does not do scans, and it does not delete spyware thats already on the system. The reason I like it is that it offers realtime passive protection without bothering the user or crying out every few seconds. It also uses no resources. I have found that about 90-95% of the computers I work on the users will not use any program I install. They wont update it or run it, and if it bothers them they uninstall it or close it out. All I have on my system is Kaspersky antivirus and Spywareblaster.

I see your point, buy unless you pay for it, it will not do auto updates... so what good does this make it for your clients that "will not use any program I install"? Granted it will do the job for a little while, but if they don't use it and update it, future problems will not be protected!

geekhelp4u
02-29-2008, 05:56 AM
Super-Antispyware is my friend.

Looks to be a pretty simply program... although you have to pay to get the auto updates... Has a good price though, at 39.99 for lifetime updates!

geekhelp4u
02-29-2008, 06:01 AM
I used Spywareterminator for the longest time until I found out about SuperAntiSpyware while there both great at detection with Spywareterminator I'd find myself loading unlocker and having to manually remove and executable files that it couldnt get rid of for whatever reason. I find myself having to do I lot less manual removal SuperAntiSpyware.

it looks like spyware terminator is still the only FREE option with automatic updates! So what is so special about the others if they do not auto update! Remember that we are talking about for clients "hands free" use, not our personal use!

gunslinger
02-29-2008, 12:36 PM
I see your point, buy unless you pay for it, it will not do auto updates... so what good does this make it for your clients that "will not use any program I install"? Granted it will do the job for a little while, but if they don't use it and update it, future problems will not be protected!

Ah, but this is where the regular maintenance comes in. If they are on my maintenance contract I come out and update spywareblaster along with their antivirus.

iladelf
02-29-2008, 04:50 PM
I use SAS, then, once clean, I install SpywareBlaster and show customers how to update. Now, if they can't remember how to do a manual update, too bad. I showed them, it's simple to do, and they should be able to figure it out themselves if they don't remember my instructions.

I just wish SAS didn't take so damned long to do a scan; 40 minutes to an hour doing the complete scan, and to me, that's the only way of making sure the PC is clean. If its scanning were quicker, I'd say I'd complete 90% of my spyware removals within an hour; as it is now, 1.5 to 2 and sometimes longer, depending on the rogue.

JRDtechnet
02-29-2008, 07:42 PM
it looks like spyware terminator is still the only FREE option with automatic updates! So what is so special about the others if they do not auto update! Remember that we are talking about for clients "hands free" use, not our personal use!

Ah sorry missed the part about for clients but still if a client can't remember to right-click on the bug and hit update now every so often then there hopeless. With malware vigilance is the best. I just ran SAS myself and aside from a few tracking cookies my system was completely cleaned....and I haven't ran a scan for a few month. Just watch what you download and NEVER EVER EVER, click any pop-up telling you your machine is infected and to click for a "free scan"!

nonchalant
02-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Ive been using AEC Trustport Workstation for BOTH viruses and spyware ever since a check of the independant reviews at www.av-comparatives.org revealed its the best around.

It has 2 AV modules and 3 Anti-spyware modules and my experience with it so far is it is very very thorough. www.aec.cz

Nathan H
02-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Anyone have any thought on AVG Anti Spyware & AVG Anti Virus - Free?

nonchalant
02-29-2008, 11:02 PM
I read somewhere AVG free only allows 1 dat update per day? Not sure if this is true though-never tested it.

gunslinger
03-01-2008, 12:39 AM
I really like AVG Anti Virus , I have tried the AVG Anti Spyware but it seems really slow.

iladelf
03-01-2008, 02:45 AM
So, nonchalant, about AEC, how fast is the scanner? I'm game for anything new that a)kills stuff on first run, and b)hopefully doesn't take half an afternoon to run.

Faster scanning = more jobs finished per day = more $$$; isn't that what we all want?

JRDtechnet
03-01-2008, 04:48 AM
IMO the fastest scanner is Winantispyware!!
haha J/k :D

nonchalant
03-01-2008, 11:31 PM
So, nonchalant, about AEC, how fast is the scanner?
Ive found scanning with all the modules can take some time but I noticed you can also configure the 'on demand scan' to run only the anti-spyware modules which imo should be faster.
A free full 30-day trial version of the program is available off their website http://www.aec.cz/index.php?endownload

IG88
03-12-2008, 04:05 AM

Thought I'd give Spyware Blaster a try to provide realtime protection and run Super AntiSpyware regularly for scans. I wondered how does Spyware Blaster provide realtime protection when the program does not run in the background?

gunslinger
03-12-2008, 12:15 PM
This is direct from their website:

Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially unwanted sites in Internet Explorer.

I would not suggest using it alone, thats not really what its for. Its meant to be used in combination with other security software like the AVG or Kaspersky I already mentioned.