PDA

View Full Version : Check Disk Question

Julie
02-27-2008, 02:03 PM
I am running Windows XP. My antivirus software keeps getting hung up on the same file "Volume System Information" and the scan will not complete. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software (McAfee). I have runt their virtual technician tool, defragged, run Dell diagnostics and Chkdisk. The only indication I get of a problem is in Chkdisk. It says a bad cluster was found and repaired on a system restore file, but when I run Chkdisk again, I get the exact same information.
Do I have a hard drive issue or can I just replace that one file from the operating system disk. I am trying to avoid having to format my hard drive. By the way, I am not having any other problems. It's just with this McAfee scan.

lazzo71
02-28-2008, 05:01 AM
Run AVG or Avast for your anti-virus and see if the same message appears.

nonchalant
02-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Turn off 'system restore' and scan again.

gunslinger
02-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Turn off 'system restore' and scan again.

I agree, turn off system restore then do a rescan.

ServingOnlineSeniors
02-29-2008, 02:51 AM
If the check disk keeps finding a bad cluster....I would run a hard drive test and get ready to replace.

Favre04
02-29-2008, 05:05 AM
The System Volume Information folder is part of the System Restore function. It is the folder where XP stores your restore points and related settings. Depending on your particular setup, you may have more than one System Volume Information folder.

Turning off System Restore will wipe out any saved restore points your system has created. This is a good first step. Turn off System Restore, restart the computer and run the scan again. There should be no data in the System Volume Information folder for the scan to hang on. If the scan is successful, turn the System Restore function back on and manually create a restore point.

A problem in Chkdsk usually indicates a larger problem with your hard drive. Take a look through your Event Viewer for any errors where the Disk is listed in the Source column. Even if there are no Disk errors logged I would definitely run a more thorough hard drive scan using a utility like DFT (Drive Fitness Test). Be sure to use the Advanced Test.

If the DFT test finds that the drive is defective, you will have to replace the hard drive as a permanent fatal crash is imminent. Prior to replacing the drive, you may still be able to use an imaging program like Acronis to make an image to restore to the new drive. This way you will not need to reinstall all of your programs and do a data recovery.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted on your results.