PDA

View Full Version : Getting some Brick and Mortar

jsmith773
02-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Hey thinking about getting a Shop about 450 a month sharing it with another company What do you think busines is steady what should i do?

Simmy
02-26-2008, 11:41 PM
So you would stay at the shop all day and get customers to bring their computers to you? Do you work with anyone else or on your own? If you're on your own, my only concern would be your inability to do onsite work. Alot of people don't want the hassle of unplugging their machine and trekking half way across town to a shop, only to return in a few days time to collect it.

What company will you be sharing with? What country are you based in? Is that $? $450 sounds like a good deal. Does that include bills (ie Gas, Elec, Internet, Lighting etc)? Is it based in a good area? What is the shop like for security?

jsmith773
02-27-2008, 07:40 AM
It is a pest control company a friend of mine. It does include gas and internet. no electric though and probably will add some security but other than that its sounds good I work with by brother so it two of us as techs and a web designer and a Public relations and marketing persons. Im based in chicago Il

Nathan H
02-27-2008, 11:51 AM
No disrespect intended, but would your customers really want to seen by their friends coming out of a pest control shop, imagine the stigma......

On paper it may sound good and the figures will add up beautifully, but ask yourself.

Would you take your PC into a pest control sop to get it fixed, even if the tech was the best guy in the world?

If your willing to share premises, try for someone who compliments your business, such as a shop that sells used PC games, or an electrical repair shop.

I hate to say this but bestbuy and Geeksquad have a good partnership (Shame there services suck!!!)

I don't mean to be negative, but when i set up my first shop, i was sooo excited it was with a friend who made custom wigs..

When the customers didn't come flocking through the doors I asked myself why, Yeah it was in a good area lots of families with PC's College students,

In the end i figured the stigma, a close friend said "think about it I call you out to me because i don't want to been seen coming out of a wig shop"

That thought had never even entered my head i just wanted to get my shop open... as the storey goes I'm no longer there. shame he was a nice chap.:rolleyes:

hawks5999
02-27-2008, 09:40 PM
If your main business is taking care of people's "bugs" and "viruses" and whatnot on their computer then you have a good co-branding strategy there "We take care of all your bugs".

And $450 per month sounds like a great deal. In my area, I've looked at a storefront (granted of 5,000 sqft) and it was 12k/month... ($29/sqft/yr)

Find another place for lease in the same general area and call the lessor. Find out the annual $ per sqft and then decide based on your space in the shop if it's a good deal. I've seen other office park space around here (seattle) for $15/sqft/yr. I have a customer in that office park and am discussing with them using 100 sqft (10x10) and crediting them the rent each month at $20/sqft. It's space they aren't using and gets them $150 free.

cmonova
02-28-2008, 03:00 AM
Just wondering on the no electric part. I think that might be needed ;)

I would really think about this. If you are doing it because you need a place then it makes sense. But, if you are doing it thinking you "need" to have a store-front you are probably wrong.

So you figure the $450, plus electric at some time? Then you have phone, internet, insurance....etc...As you see it can add up. So now lets say you are looking at about $600 and that may be low balling it.

Do you have $600 coming in a month to cover all those cost? Does that leave you money to advertise your business more to get more customers? Are you thinking that having he store-front will bring in more customers? If that is a thought you may rethink it. It is possible that it could take quite sometime for that to actually work in your favor. In the meantime you are spending on an assumption.

I pay about 3K a month for my place and all that goes with it. BUT, prior to getting the place I was already established, already had business contract in place, and was continually growing. So for us it was the right time and place to do it. BUT, if I did not have at least enough in business contracts to cover the lease I would not of ventured into it.

Need to put alot of thought into why you want to do it and how exactly you will benefit from it.