PDA

View Full Version : Just Repaired Macbook Pro Motherboard

ComputerClinic
08-30-2010, 05:22 PM
I picked up a macbook pro last friday that wouldn't boot. It would power on, but there was no chime and nothing on the screen. I tried all the SMU, PMU resets with no luck. Did some research online and found out that this model has problems with the NVIDIA graphics chip that causes similar symptoms to what I was experiencing.

Sound familiar? Yep, this is the same problem HP DV6000, 9000, and 2000s have where the chip needs to be re-flowed onto the board. Having done several of those repairs in the past, I thought I'd give it a try considering the computer was out of warranty the the motherboard was useless anyways.

I took apart the computer and re-flowed the NVIDIA chip with flux and my hot air station. Put it back together enough to power on and it chimes immediately and proceeds to boot. This saved my client about $500 for a new motherboard.

P.S. Does anyone know of a free OSX program that will stress the processor to its max heat? Something similar to Prime95 for Windows? I like to keep these computers for a few days after the repair so I can stress test them and be sure the problem won't come back.

08-30-2010, 05:25 PM
I just use a couple of instances of Chess to stress the system for a while. Go into preferences and set the ai to the strongest setting, then start a few games of computer vs computer.

usacvlr
08-30-2010, 05:34 PM
The problem will return often in 3 months or less.

I picked up a macbook pro last friday that wouldn't boot. It would power on, but there was no chime and nothing on the screen. I tried all the SMU, PMU resets with no luck. Did some research online and found out that this model has problems with the NVIDIA graphics chip that causes similar symptoms to what I was experiencing.

Sound familiar? Yep, this is the same problem HP DV6000, 9000, and 2000s have where the chip needs to be re-flowed onto the board. Having done several of those repairs in the past, I thought I'd give it a try considering the computer was out of warranty the the motherboard was useless anyways.

I took apart the computer and re-flowed the NVIDIA chip with flux and my hot air station. Put it back together enough to power on and it chimes immediately and proceeds to boot. This saved my client about $500 for a new motherboard.

P.S. Does anyone know of a free OSX program that will stress the processor to its max heat? Something similar to Prime95 for Windows? I like to keep these computers for a few days after the repair so I can stress test them and be sure the problem won't come back.

NWPhotog
08-30-2010, 05:43 PM

Nice! ..............................

ComputerClinic
08-30-2010, 05:47 PM
I just use a couple of instances of Chess to stress the system for a while. Go into preferences and set the ai to the strongest setting, then start a few games of computer vs computer.

Thanks. Never would have thought of that.

The problem will return often in 3 months or less.

Perhaps. It really depends on how you fixed it. If you stick it in the oven for a while or just blast it with a torch then yes. But if you properly coat underneath the chip with flux and use a hot air gun set to the right temperature you'll have a much higher success rate. When I was still replacing motherboards for the DV series rather than reflowing, there was several occassions when the motherboard would fail with the exact same problem within a few months. Just sayin...

anonymous Mac Tech
08-30-2010, 10:03 PM

Actually, if the machine was less than 3 years old Apple would have given your client a new logic board no charge. now that its been reflowed, probably not.

JRDtechnet
09-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Hopefully it lasts....
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

iisjman07
09-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Can't you use apples service diagnostic thing?

arrow_runner
09-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Man, Apple's warranty extensions are just amazing.

MobileTechie
09-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Good work mate. Which type of flux did you use and how did you get it under the chip?

pcmac
09-05-2010, 11:48 AM
like to see how you did it , got any photos ?

anonymous Mac Tech
09-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Actually, if the machine was less than 3 years old Apple would have given your client a new logic board no charge. now that its been reflowed, probably not.

Actually, just updating the info since I happened to be looking at a machine close to the deadline today. But it looks like its 4 years within date of purchase now for anyone who cares.

"If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within four years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty."

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

meanderer
10-07-2010, 10:28 PM
maybe you should've done the warranty work instead of doing the reflow because these fix are also guaranteed to come back and bite you. If apple replaced your board you know it's probably better than a reflowed board. But anyways, nice work getting it fixed.

All hope is not lost yet, there's a class action settlement suit going on right now that includes some Apple models which states that you are eligible even if your computer has been serviced out of warranty, take a look.