PDA

View Full Version : 42 Inch LCD $880

Mushin
08-29-2010, 09:30 PM
42 Inch LCD $880 at Tiger. WOW so tempting.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4557164&CatId=3774

Xander
08-29-2010, 10:11 PM
That's pretty close to what we paid for ours. Each year, the local paper has an online auction. We got our 42" last year, and a new queen-sized bed this year for a little over half price each.

08-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Why not just get a decent LCD TV? I got a 46" LCD TV that I use as a monitor. I only paid $600 for it. Same resolution, same contrast ratio, more features. It's not an HP, but it works. If you're mainly going for size, you'd save a lot of money.

Lone99star
08-29-2010, 11:20 PM
I bought 11 non-working lcd tvs for $150, was able to repair 6 of them.
I use 2 32 inch Viewsonic tvs for monitors on my Web Design machine.
The good thing about LCD tvs is if the panel is good it is very inexpensive to repair. I buy used parts from www.shopjimmy.com.

Lone99star

Mushin
08-30-2010, 01:40 AM
I bought 11 non-working lcd tvs for $150, was able to repair 6 of them.
I use 2 32 inch Viewsonic tvs for monitors on my Web Design machine.
The good thing about LCD tvs is if the panel is good it is very inexpensive to repair. I buy used parts from www.shopjimmy.com.

Lone99star

Where would someone find non-working LCD TVS? I would be very interested in this.

Lone99star
08-30-2010, 02:34 AM
I buy some from ebay, but you have to be very careful about the description, some people will hide the fact that the screen is broken, and the screen could be broken in shippping.

I have bought a full pallet of tvs from http://techliquidators.com/index.cfm/liquidation/pallets/product/Plasma,-DLP-and-LCD-Television-Units/p/27/i/690166

Make sure you know shipping cost before bidding.
Get model # of all tvs and research the parts before buying, ocasionally I will get one that I cant find parts for, I have a Curtis Mathas LCD(I didnt even knowthey made them) that it was obviously a backlight inverter and I couldnt get parts for it, I had to modify an inverter from a Insignia TV.

Anyway, shopjimmy.com usually has the parts I need and even though they are used I have never had to return anything because of DOA.

I will help diagnose the tvs if you need help.

Lone99star

Lone99star
08-30-2010, 02:51 AM
Here is another site I buy from http://www.liquidation.com/auction/search?cmd=keyword&words=tvs

Lone99star

Mushin
08-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the info!

MrUnknown
08-30-2010, 11:59 AM
I will help diagnose the tvs if you need help.

Lone99star

This is definately something I would like to get into, but I don't want to pester you with issues.

How did you learn? Any websites out there that have this general information?

I know some about what is inside a LCD panel, but not enough to reliably diagnose it. Laptop repair is easy to find. Last I checked, LCD repair is harder to get good information on.

Lone99star
08-30-2010, 01:29 PM
I learned from service manuals a few years ago, the modern LCD TV usually has only three circuit boards(power supply, main board and 1 or 2 backlight inverters) I do component level repair on the power supply and inverters only, you can usually spot the problem with these boards(swollen or blown caps) If it is a main board problem I replace the entire board. If you are able to get a service manual you can diagnose with a multimeter. Most problems I find are with the inverter(same as in a laptop).
BTW just a heads up for everyone always use your remote to turn your tv on and off, ESD is a lcd tv killer.

Lone99star