PDA

View Full Version : Linux

SilberCobra
08-27-2010, 06:12 PM
What is the best way to get a client to switch to linux?

SilberCobra
08-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Would it be a good I do to give them the option for a trial run on there system?

ATTech
08-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Why do you want them to switch to linux?

SilberCobra
08-27-2010, 07:14 PM
It seems to run faster than windows, alot more stable, and easier for me to fix. :)

ATTech
08-27-2010, 07:19 PM
It seems to run faster than windows, alot more stable, and easier for me to fix. :)
Explain to them that, as well as the lacking program support and the fact that they have to learn how to use it properly and let them decide for themselves.

There are reasons why Microsoft still has and retains a majority of the workstation market share. Those reasons far outweigh a slight increase in speed, stability and the fact that it's easier for you.

SilberCobra
08-27-2010, 07:41 PM
true but open source is free, the point in questions still remains, how can I get them to try it for themselves?

totalPCTechs
08-27-2010, 07:50 PM
provide live cd's so that way the can try it without installing it. also i recommend Linux MINT

SilberCobra
08-27-2010, 07:58 PM
provide live cd's so that way the can try it without installing it. also i recommend Linux MINT

Thanks, That is the answer i was looking for. But, Still wonder what is the best Line to say to get them to try it? or what question to look for to suggest?

Elemdee
08-27-2010, 08:10 PM
I would show it to them on your own laptop, give a demonstration of what it can do for them on a "lesser" system as far as giving them more for less.

SilberCobra
08-27-2010, 08:56 PM
I would show it to them on your own laptop, give a demonstration of what it can do for them on a "lesser" system as far as giving them more for less.

That is what I will do. Thanks Elembee, Great answer, didn't think about that.

stevenamills
08-27-2010, 09:10 PM

If you do, remember to explain that running from a CD/DVD is considerably more sluggish than a hard drive.

mooncat
08-28-2010, 03:27 AM

I agree with this, and it's exactly what I do when planting the Linux seed. Just remember not to get too evangelical with Linux, it isn't for everybody, but I really do feel there is a nitch of users that it fits perfectly, and not just the programmer advance user people. People that use their computer only for internet, email, streaming video, and basic office apps, I think are great candidates, and that covers quite a bit of your average users. Also stress the security and stability.

If they fall in a similar category i would show them a demo using most of the apps they would normally use, like open office, firefox (which I recommend to ALL my clients regardless of OS), maybe Thunderbird, and whatever else would be of interest. Show them that they really can get the same "internet" and web pages that you do in Windows, and even those online games work great also! If they are the casual, non box gamer type, show them all the great open source games they can download from the repository. Bottom line is listen to your client and determine if Linux would be a benefit for him/her, don't just do it because you love it! Trust me, I love Linux, so it can be difficult to hold back on "selling" it to people, but you have to be smart!

By the way...I'm a proponent and user of Linux Mint!

NeutronTech
08-28-2010, 09:45 AM
I've tried Mint before and it was okay. But the new version of Ubuntu is far better in my opinion I'm pretty new to liniux so I might not really know what to look for to know which is better. However, the interface is sleek, it's very user friendly, and runs great. I use it on my office machine.

kwisher
08-28-2010, 03:26 PM
If I have to keep a customers PC for more than two days I offer them the use of my spare laptop running Linux Mint while they wait for parts to be delivered. If they bring me a heavily infested machine I inform them of the benefits of Linux and give them a live CD to try.