PDA

View Full Version : RDRAM Upgrade

geekhelp4u
02-25-2008, 04:12 PM
I am currently working on an older machine that uses RDRAM (PC-800). The client wants to know how much it would be to upgrade it. Looks like the cheapest I can find is on ebay, so my question is... If the motherboard is not EEC is the EEC version of the RDRAM optional? I see a lot of Dell RDRAM that is pretty cheap, so I am assuming that this would work great!

Motherboard: Abit TH7II

currently has 2 128MB Samsung RDRAM chips... looking to upgrade to two 256MB or two 512MB...

Have not seen RDRAM in years, so was trying to refresh my memory on it!

Simmy
02-25-2008, 04:43 PM
This (http://www.memoryx.net/abthmome3.html) should help :)

You can't usually mix and match ECC and Non-ECC RAM - All the modules usually have to be the same type. If the motherboard doesn't support ECC RAM then it will usually beep alot during POST and fail to boot. It looks like your motherboard will take both types as long as they are all the same.

Blues
02-25-2008, 05:26 PM
I have managed to land my hands on 3 machines with RDRAM 2 off brand and one Dell. I sold the 512(2 x 256) out of the Dell for about $250 and then 256(2 x 128) I placed back into the original Dell and refurbed it to sell for $150. Turning a machine I would get no more then $200-300 into $400 of that I kept $100 and $300 went to my friend who owned the Dell. I still have one of the off brands with the 256 and this machine I believe works except needs a new PSU the other had either a motherboard or graphics card issue. I usually try to aquire RDRAM or RDRAM PCs to resell the RAM as only few new chips are manufactured and used and new prices don't vary too much. I will say your probly lookin at a $100-200 upgrade cost. If they want a new machine you can try to buy up thier whole machine for the price youd resell the RDRAM for. This will keep it so you aren't out of pocket but are more likely to make profit by scrappin the whole beast for parts. On the issue of ECC you rarely can mix them and often ECC is more expensive. ECC is usualy in servers anyhow its best to avoid ECC ram it might be cheaper for ECC RDRAM simply becuase there is little demand for it. I do have a 256 kit of RDRAM I will try to test if you are interested in buying off me name a price and Ill let you know what I think.

JW The Computer Guy
01-16-2010, 01:53 AM
RDRAM is crazy expensive my last visit to the dell site said $300 for 256mb.

Styxbound
01-18-2010, 03:31 PM
A month or so ago I bought on ebay two sticks of 256 ECC for around $15.00; two sticks of 125 non ECC for about $7.00. Of course that's used.