PDA

View Full Version : Server Computer Dead, Customer Purchased new Server with 2008

zebest
08-26-2010, 07:11 PM
We have a customer that calls us from time to time. We didn't setup their server initially but I just got a call that they have a new server on-site that they would like setup.

They don't use exchange, just basic shares and that is pretty much it. There 2003 Server Computer has completly died making it hard to have them both live to migrate.

I am wondering the best approach in implementing 2008 Server for them. There is only about 5 people there. I am thinking of adding the 2008 Server to the network, setting up DNS, DHCP and then simply connecting the clients to the Server. I believe if I keep it in the same domain currently there could be confusion, so I was thinking of naming the Server different from their last one and creating a new domain.

Does it sound like I am on the right track? Oh and by the way, my Senior Engineer who does these setups just took vacation today and the company called today, wanting this done today. GRRRR!

Thanks,

Chris

PcTek9
08-26-2010, 07:21 PM
creating a new domain? why would you do that? you are going to CAUSE confusion. lol.
you really don't even know what server software they had running do you on 2003?

was running dns server? web server? file server? etc. i think you are going to run into a smack up. you really need to know what was going on, but i wouldn't create a whole new domain, that would most likely create tons of new problems.

zebest
08-26-2010, 07:22 PM
I agree that my knowledge of the environment is lacking. Typically we have a research and development stage. I wish they would have told us 2 weeks ago that they were getting a new server and not call us out of the blue and ask us to install it the same day. Anyways, thanks for your advice.

Chris

PcTek9
08-26-2010, 07:24 PM
why not install the old drive in the new server, and just fix the driver issues and reregister windows 2003, then UPGRADE to 2008 on the weekend when they are closed.

clone this drive to something before doing anything.

*** i've had clients that didn't need ANYTHING from the old machine, and you never heard so much bellyaching in your life after the deed was done. Thankfully I had backed up everything anyway. but still... be forewarned. they will forget tons of important stuff they can't live without.

zebest
08-26-2010, 07:37 PM
That is a very good idea.

Thanks!

Chris