PDA

View Full Version : Building a "TRAINING" business server network

juiceman39
02-25-2008, 04:07 AM
I want to set up a business server network(100 user capable) setup to practice my networking skills,
as I currently only repair residential PC's. Could I get a few opinions on what I should start with. Which server software should
I start with, which is most used in the real world(windows software)How many PC's will I need.
Thanks for any help you can send my way. juiceman

Simmy
02-25-2008, 10:23 AM
I did exactly the same thing with 4 computers and Windows Small Business Server 2003. Once I'd done it on those 4, I had no problem going to a company and setting up 20 computers.

Do you want to practice your cable laying skills aswell? You might be better off taking a course for :)

OfficeITPlus
02-25-2008, 11:31 AM
You could also look at SME Server (contribs dot org). This provides all the facilities of SBS but a much lower price (its free) and much lower support overhead saving your customers all round. I have 8 such systems with customers ranging from one man bands up to 60 users.

Tony

WireComputers
02-26-2008, 09:56 PM
You could also look at SME Server (contribs dot org). This provides all the facilities of SBS but a much lower price (its free) and much lower support overhead saving your customers all round. I have 8 such systems with customers ranging from one man bands up to 60 users.

Tony

I'm a massive fan of SME server. :)

I use it myself, and have always found it to be incredibly stable and also powerful, without any major problems.