PDA

View Full Version : Logo Contest - 99designs

All Systems Go
08-25-2010, 03:07 AM
After a few months of trying to create a logo and not getting very far with the creative side (kind of like having your plumber be your plastic surgeon).
I was following Thirsk's contest, saw how well it went and I decided to start a logo contest at 99designs.

There is 3 days left and I've had a pretty good turnout (175 entries); which is a lot to choose from.
So far the submissions I've gotten ranged from abstract and circuitry to laptops and some that I can't even describe.

If anyone wants to check the contest out: http://99designs.com/logo-design/contests/open-canvas-logo-support-computer-repair-company-51461

Let me know what you think so far.

Jeffreynya
08-25-2010, 03:14 AM
I like 151 and 170. There are lots of pretty cool designs.

Martyn
08-25-2010, 06:04 AM
178 & 179 for me. Very good designs though

0ldfart
08-25-2010, 06:17 AM
Man I love that site!

Those designs are all so good :)

Its hard to differentiate because of the general high quality, but I note that you want your logo to express that you are doing mobile computer repairs and Im not too sure that any of the entries so far adequately communicate that.

That said, if I had to pick one, I like #58. The reason being that it associates your name with a computer that is 'fixed' (indicated by a check mark). Its a very positive association which I think would work well in terms of advertising value.

Ive been thinking about re-doing my logo, and I also do a lot of mobile stuff. Having used a logo for a while now that doesnt communicate mobile repairs, my preference will be with the new design to incorporate that element so that the logo communicates more to potential customers about my business' service.

All Systems Go
08-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Its hard to differentiate because of the general high quality, but I note that you want your logo to express that you are doing mobile computer repairs and Im not too sure that any of the entries so far adequately communicate that.

Yes, that site is a great find for sure.
I also agree that my logo should express that I do mobile computer repairs, but I'm not really sure how they can convey that. (I guess that's why I'm not a designer)

It's easy to lose focus on what you originally wanted, as some of the graphics are really nice and lots to choose from.

TLE
08-25-2010, 02:30 PM
I went through this a few weeks ago, anything with gears and spanners were rejected as they have very little relevance. Anything with a shield was rejected after I was told to avoid them on another forum as they often look very simliar to fake antivirus shields.

I found the circuit board designs looked fantastic, but I felt they were a little generic, and the average Joe was wondering what it represented.

I personally like #58 and #52

All Systems Go
08-25-2010, 04:09 PM
I went through this a few weeks ago, anything with gears and spanners were rejected as they have very little relevance. Anything with a shield was rejected after I was told to avoid them on another forum as they often look very simliar to fake antivirus shields.

I found the circuit board designs looked fantastic, but I felt they were a little generic, and the average Joe was wondering what it represented.

I personally like #58 and #52

I was actually following your contest and saw how well yours came out. I agree some of that stuff is really generic.

Right now, I like #198 and #197 and #192 ... it's a similar concept to the ones that you liked.

Jeffreynya
08-25-2010, 04:57 PM
ya, 198 and 197 are really cool. Did not see them before. Not to sure about the 192 one though. The arrows just take my mind to a non-computer related place.

All Systems Go
08-25-2010, 05:59 PM
ya, 198 and 197 are really cool. Did not see them before. Not to sure about the 192 one though. The arrows just take my mind to a non-computer related place.

Yeah #192 is probably my least favorite out of the three.

coalescent
08-26-2010, 03:42 AM
Wow, you got a lot of responses. I may think about doing that for my company when I get some of the more important expenses taken care of.

Blues
08-26-2010, 05:16 PM
#238 I really like its one the most original looking though the symbol doesn't convey the mobile aspect it if anything conveys a remote aspect but it is still to me one of the best looking.

#201 is also a good looking one that to me slightly suggests in home service which translates to mobile tech.

#242/244 I can't see the differences between them and I like the icon before the name vs over in those it is nice and simple but doesn't really say anything the arrows I guess can be argued to suggest the mobile aspect of your business.

All Systems Go
08-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Wow, you got a lot of responses. I may think about doing that for my company when I get some of the more important expenses taken care of.

Definitely, I got more responses than I ever expected to get.
I think the key thing is giving as much feedback as you possibly can.
Most of my feedback was given directly to the designer (this is nice but, can I see it like this ... etc). The only public feedback I made was when I felt like I needed to guide them in a certain direction. Else I would be typing the same thing over and over.

I was originally looking into the logo loft, until I read Bryce's article and saw that people here had good results.

You'll get the biggest bang for your buck using 99designs.

MM PC Solutions
08-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Things to take into account when creating a logo (or having it created for you):

Does your logo look good in 8 bit or less colours (even black & white)?
Is it CMYK ready (print proof)?

Eddie
08-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Hmm, 99designs looks like something I can use. Is there anything similar to it out there?

0ldfart
08-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Hmm, 99designs looks like something I can use. Is there anything similar to it out there?

There are heaps of crowdsourcing graphic design sites

Did you try google?

From what I have seen, 99designs is definitely one of the best - generally the response rate is high and the quality of the responses is brilliant.

Martyn
08-29-2010, 03:16 PM
I've used one before that is cheap but from what I see on 99design you get so much choice.