PDA

View Full Version : Malwarebytes and CA conflict?

mooncat
08-25-2010, 02:57 AM
Ok...had a customer tell me that they called Time Warner to have them give her a free version of CA Security Suite 2010. They told her that she would need to remove Malwarebytes (free edition) because CA will not work with any other malware programs installed. Has anyone heard of a conflict like this? I did some research and found mixed info on this. I always understood that you can't have 2 virus scanners, but you can have multiple spyware/malware scanners running with an main AV program. I've never had a problem with Malwarebytes installed with an AV program (AVG, Avast, Norton, Mcafee, Kaspersky). I have, however, had a problem with CA itself, and actually needed to remove it from a clients laptop since it slowed it to a screeching halt, not to mention it never even caught a rogue AV that was also on the laptop. AVG, with Malwarbytes then worked great!

So...personally not a fan of CA, but wondering if there is any merit to this "conflict."

omega7441
08-25-2010, 03:18 AM
I dont see how MB could cause a problem since it doesnt do real time scanning (unless its the paid for version?)

All internet provider supports read from a script and of course the script says to remove all AV before installing whatever they are selling. Jusr zombies doing what they are told.

I personally have never had any conflicts with using MB and other programs.

NeutronTech
08-25-2010, 05:29 AM
I really don't see how they could conflict each other. Except maybe when you ran MB, CA saw it as a form of malware.

Off topic: Mooncat, I looked at your website and it looks great. I did notice that your rates are pretty low. You might want to give some serious thought to raising them.

Cambridge PC Support
08-25-2010, 05:37 AM
Off topic: Mooncat, I looked at your website and it looks great. I did notice that your rates are pretty low. You might want to give some serious thought to raising them.

+1

filler...filler...filler...filler

iisjman07
08-25-2010, 08:14 AM
A lot of company's do this just to cover themselves. There's no reason there should be a conflict; MBAM is legit and shouldn't be detected as malware and it's only an on demand scanner so there shouldn't be any conflicts...

MrUnknown
08-25-2010, 01:27 PM
What they said is true, but Malwarebytes don't really integrate with a PC to the level an Internet Security package does. Running 2 deeply-integrated applications will normally cause issues as they aren't designed to work with each other, unlike Malwarebytes which is meant to be installed along-side other AV software.

I could, althrough think it is unlikely, believe that the paid version of Malwarebytes could cause some sort of conflict as it has real-time protection and website blocking. The free version is on-demand and does nothing to interfere with any AV application, even when it is running.

Xander
08-25-2010, 01:54 PM
I've got the paid version and I wouldn't call it 'real-time antimalware'. It does scheduled scans and updates and does some real-time website blocking so that might be what the ISP is talking about.

They're probably talking out of their butt. CA is garbage and she'd be much better off with something else anyway.

MrUnknown
08-25-2010, 03:32 PM
I've got the paid version and I wouldn't call it 'real-time antimalware'. It does scheduled scans and updates and does some real-time website blocking so that might be what the ISP is talking about.

Mine catches stuff in real-time outside of regular scans (which I don't have)

I do have an issue with the auto update flat out not working...