PDA

View Full Version : Banning gun threads

Cybjun
08-24-2010, 07:00 AM
Ok so since nearly every single thread about guns gets hijacked/flamed then locked how about just banning them from the forums.

With guns the laws very greatly based on country, state, county & even city there is almost now way any useful advice can be gained through this forum on that subject.

Rodrick
08-24-2010, 08:07 AM
+1, it's a religion for some people on both sides of the discussion and as such will go nowhere and never does. There is a place and a time to have such discussions and I don't feel that this forum is such a place.

NeutronTech
08-24-2010, 11:02 AM
I guess this thread should be locked and banned as well then, huh? :D

I see nothing wrong with passionate threads as long as they are in the general chat area. You should be able to discuss anything you want there. If you don't like reading about it or discussing it, or if anyone gets offended by it, they can simply not click on the thread.

I really don't get why people constantly complain about thread content. It's a very simple fix. Just don't click on the thread and read it if it is about a topic that doesn't interest you. :mad:

JosephLeo
08-24-2010, 03:36 PM
This should be expanded to religion, politics and of course- sports. All of those types of threads on any forum (or even offline) will usually end up in an argument.

Still, I don't think we should have a ban on these topics unless they're irrelevant in which case the rules already cover. So, a -1 from me.

Blues
08-24-2010, 03:46 PM
I hate to ban topics but the solution is for people to stop injecting so much personal emotions into it than they need to. I personally don't mind peoples opinions on any of these hot topics except maybe politics. I just try and know when I need to hold my tongue.

mraikes
08-24-2010, 04:26 PM
I'd hate to see anything in the General Chat area being summarily banned. That's the purpose of that area (isn't it?) - wide open, entertaining, time killing chatter.

If a mod happens to notice that a thread is drifting too far from a tech or business topic, maybe it can just be moved to General Chat without making a fuss about it.

Even the recent gun thread was at least tangentially related to tech business (for the OP anyway), but was pretty much hijacked and spun out of control.

Let's not stifle such conversations completely, just put 'em in the right area.

lgtechcomputers
08-24-2010, 05:26 PM
I'd hate to see anything in the General Chat area being summarily banned. That's the purpose of that area (isn't it?) - wide open, entertaining, time killing chatter.

If a mod happens to notice that a thread is drifting too far from a tech or business topic, maybe it can just be moved to General Chat without making a fuss about it.

Even the recent gun thread was at least tangentially related to tech business (for the OP anyway), but was pretty much hijacked and spun out of control.

Let's not stifle such conversations completely, just put 'em in the right area.

1+

There should always be an off-topic or general talk area where people can discuss other things...including weapons.

If the thread is in the wrong area then get it moved if necessary to that same general area.

dbdawn
08-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Ok so since nearly every single thread about guns gets hijacked/flamed then locked how about just banning them from the forums.

With guns the laws very greatly based on country, state, county & even city there is almost now way any useful advice can be gained through this forum on that subject.
How many threads have there been on this forum about guns? Only a couple that I know of. If a topic bothers someone, then they should stay out of it. I see no need to ban threads about certain topics from the forum.

Cybjun
08-24-2010, 09:44 PM
How many threads have there been on this forum about guns? Only a couple that I know of. If a topic bothers someone, then they should stay out of it. I see no need to ban threads about certain topics from the forum.

Guns dont bother me, I was saying banning the topic because the laws that dicate them very greatly depending on location there is no way to get useful advice about them on an internet forum thats not devoted to the subject. plus if the arguement about guns is blocked to begin with then it will help keep it civil around here

NeutronTech
08-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Guns dont bother me, I was saying banning the topic because the laws that dicate them very greatly depending on location there is no way to get useful advice about them on an internet forum thats not devoted to the subject.

It doesn't matter if you get useful advice or not. In the General Chat forum you can talk about whatever you want. If I wanted to start a thread about the kind of toilet paper I use, what would be useful about that? Nothing, but it's okay because it's a General Chat Forum. The idea behind this is to let loose from the day to day business and hang out and have some entertainment.

plus if the arguement about guns is blocked to begin with then it will help keep it civil around here

I think we are all adults and can be civil on our own without arbitrary bans on certain discussions. Besides, if your not going to like discussing guns or reading about others discussing them, don't click on it.

0ldfart
08-25-2010, 01:15 AM
Its not an issue of censoring specific topics.

The Thread that was the impetus is an ideal example about why 'banning' a particular subject is unwise. The OP had a legitimate question and had to make a very difficult decision that he needed help with. This is exactly what the Forum is for.

Its not his fault for posting on this subject. The fault lies elsewhere.

The way I see it, the issue is one of moderation. The mods should have stepped in as soon as the thread got off topic (ie political rather than personal). They failed to do this and the result was unfortunate to say the least.

What I can say about Technibble, is that there is no 'on topic' culture here, because the mods dont seem to want to get involved when conversations get messy.

In most other forums, there is some presence evident, which keeps things on track. If members are cognizant of the presence of mods they are more inclined to keep things civilised.

To my mind this is unfortunate. By standing back and taking an 'anything goes' attitude, members experience is marred by the incessant squabbling and flaming that results.

No one likes being insulted and thats exactly what occurs when no one takes an interest in the content of the posts in the forum.

This could be a much better community, if it weren't for the lack of time and effort spent in establishing a culture of civilised discussion. The absence of active and involved moderation the determining factor here.

So, no - dont ban the topic, or any other germaine topic for that matter. Its not the topic thats at fault.

Mods - you need to be involved when threads get out of hand. If you're not keeping it on topic you can be sure no-one else is in a position to do it. Its what you're supposed to be there for.

It doesnt take a lot of reading on Technibble to see that there are numerous other threads that were let out of hand and members were allowed to go rants, taking pages and pages of port-shots at one another. This makes for uninformative reading for other members (an excess of content in a forum that is supposed to be technical discussion but which contain nothing but vitriol are not of interest to anyone) and and for a disappointing result for the OP, who is not being assisted by other members petty squabbling.

This sort of thing is completely unnecessary. Consider the other forums you are members of where these sort of issues are nipped in the bud because mods pay attention to whats being said and act appropriately when threads go off-topic. Its a Technibble thing, and its in woeful need of attention.

'Nuf said.

NeutronTech
08-25-2010, 01:36 AM
Its not an issue of censoring specific topics.

The Thread that was the impetus is an ideal example about why 'banning' a particular subject is unwise. The OP had a legitimate question and had to make a very difficult decision that he needed help with. This is exactly what the Forum is for.

Its not his fault for posting on this subject. The fault lies elsewhere.

The way I see it, the issue is one of moderation. The mods should have stepped in as soon as the thread got off topic (ie political rather than personal). They failed to do this and the result was unfortunate to say the least.

What I can say about Technibble, is that there is no 'on topic' culture here, because the mods dont seem to want to get involved when conversations get messy.

In most other forums, there is some presence evident, which keeps things on track. If members are cognizant of the presence of mods they are more inclined to keep things civilised.

To my mind this is unfortunate. By standing back and taking an 'anything goes' attitude, members experience is marred by the incessant squabbling and flaming that results.

No one likes being insulted and thats exactly what occurs when no one takes an interest in the content of the posts in the forum.

This could be a much better community, if it weren't for the lack of time and effort spent in establishing a culture of civilised discussion. The absence of active and involved moderation the determining factor here.

So, no - dont ban the topic, or any other germaine topic for that matter. Its not the topic thats at fault.

Mods - you need to be involved when threads get out of hand. If you're not keeping it on topic you can be sure no-one else is in a position to do it. Its what you're supposed to be there for.

It doesnt take a lot of reading on Technibble to see that there are numerous other threads that were let out of hand and members were allowed to go rants, taking pages and pages of port-shots at one another. This makes for uninformative reading for other members (an excess of content in a forum that is supposed to be technical discussion but which contain nothing but vitriol are not of interest to anyone) and and for a disappointing result for the OP, who is not being assisted by other members petty squabbling.

This sort of thing is completely unnecessary. Consider the other forums you are members of where these sort of issues are nipped in the bud because mods pay attention to whats being said and act appropriately when threads go off-topic. Its a Technibble thing, and its in woeful need of attention.

'Nuf said.

I agree that we need to stay on topic and professional (to some extent) on here except in the General chat forum. In that forum we should be allowed to discuss anything, inappropriate material notwithstanding. If a thread gets out of hand it can be cut from the point it went out of hand and from that part forward be moved to the general forum. That way those who want to continue the professional discussion can remain in the original thread, while those who want to continue the off track discussion can go to the general forum and find it there.

Cybjun
08-25-2010, 01:42 AM
Again I have no problem with the topic itself. I'm just saying you can't actually get the answers you would need in an online forum. Because I know that LA County Gun laws very greatly compared to Washington D.C. Gun laws, and thats saying nothing about other users that are in other countries.

as far as we are all adults here can keep it civil, I've seen 5 year olds that are better behaved then most adults. :rolleyes: case in point go listen to a customer service department at any department store.

and actually like the debates so I want to click on the threads, But it does seem like a waste because the original poster usually still ends up having to get the answer to the original question somewhere else

0ldfart
08-25-2010, 01:43 AM
I agree that we need to stay on topic and professional (to some extent) on here except in the General chat forum. In that forum we should be allowed to discuss anything, inappropriate material notwithstanding. If a thread gets out of hand it can be cut from the point it went out of hand and from that part forward be moved to the general forum. That way those who want to continue the professional discussion can remain in the original thread, while those who want to continue the off track discussion can go to the general forum and find it there.

Exactly

The thread was in A Computer repair forum, under the subcategories

The Computer Repair Business > Technicians Eyes Only

It should have been about the benefits and risks of one tech carrying or not carrying a gun to work.

It should never have been about gun laws or any other political issues. As soon as it stepped out of the topic it should have been reigned in by the mods.

The result is not helpful to OP and is not informative or useful to anyone reading it.

gunslinger
08-25-2010, 04:54 AM
Well, lets say we ban the religion, sports, politics, guns threads. Whats next? Oh yea plenty of threads about pirating software have lead to arguments, lets ban those. I remember when Vista came out I think I was part of at least 3-4 threads that got locked so no talk about what OS we like either. I have seen threads about how much to charge be locked due to flaming, so we have to get rid of those. Oh and God forbid someone even mention Macs.

I could go on but I think everyone sees where this is going. More government so to speak is not the answer.

MHCG
08-25-2010, 05:08 AM
There is waaaayyy too much thought being put into this topic. If you act like an ass on these forums, you should be warned and eventually banned if you continue. Banning the discussion is not the way to avoid conflict.

gunslinger
08-25-2010, 05:13 AM
There is waaaayyy too much thought being put into this topic. If you act like an ass on these forums, you should be warned and eventually banned if you continue. Banning the discussion is not the way to avoid conflict.

Well said...........

Bryce W
08-25-2010, 05:33 AM
This is the way we handle sensitive topics. Banning specific topics would get really messy and would result in an ever expanding rules list every time someone argues about something.

Talk about what you want in the general forum, talk about tech stuff in the tech parts. If you are an ass, your posts will be deleted. If you keep doing it, you will be banned. Much fairer for everyone and much simpler to deal with.