PDA

View Full Version : laptop keyboard gunk

0ldfart
08-24-2010, 02:11 AM
I like to give machines a good clean-up before they go back to the customer.

Im not sure what some people do on their laptop keyboards (nor do I want to know), but you know those ones that looked like they ate off it? - with all the mysterious science experiments living between the gaps in the keys? - very difficult to clean.

I saw some 'goo' in a computer shop recently. Cant remember the name, but its a big blob of yellow stuff you use like a gunk-magnet to remove from those hard-to-reach places. Anyone used anything like this or similar?

Anyone got a solid method for laptop keyboard sanitization?

trapped
08-24-2010, 02:32 AM
At that point I usually suggest a new keyboard. The dirty keyboard people usually seem to have a few missing keys anyway so it makes an easier sell.

I've seen the goo, but haven't picked any up yet, so I'm also interested in the feedback on this product.

IAMPC
08-24-2010, 06:06 AM
If it is that bad, offer new keyboard installation. Most people would say no but that is the only solution that comes to mind. I don't want to come close to touching that stuff... you never know what you are touching... ;)

NeutronTech
08-24-2010, 06:37 AM
If it is that bad, offer new keyboard installation. Most people would say no but that is the only solution that comes to mind. I don't want to come close to touching that stuff... you never know what you are touching... ;)

If you knew one of my cousins and his fascination with a particular type of photography website, you would never touch a customer's keyboard again. His mom asked about it and he told her it was glaze that dripped off a donut. :eek:

I always visually inspect carefully every keyboard I encounter now.

vdub12
08-24-2010, 07:04 AM
1+ on replacing the keyboard.

Most notebook keyboards are cheap and very easy to change. I think its a good up sell for those really dirty ones.

And also you don't know what kinds of pictures they have been looking at. All I can say is get some rubber cloves.