PDA

View Full Version : Big chains at it again...

Rabid_frog
02-24-2008, 03:49 AM
More undercover news investigations at the big chains.

http://10tv.com/vplayer.php?clip=2008_02_21_Computer_Problems.wmv

(note: the link may resize your window)

Jory
02-24-2008, 04:42 AM
I came here to post this. I wish they would have explained exactly what they did in the BIOS. If they just removed the HDD from the boot order there is no excuse for not catching that.

My first instinct would have been a bad drive too, but it would have been clear when I pulled out the drive to test it, or put a replacement in.

In my opinion these hidden camera things should focus on really simple stuff like RAM, video card, network card, etc pulled pulled out a little bit. Something like that is really obvious when you pop the case open. Nobodies first instinct is going to be check the BIOS when you get an operating system not found error message.

Those prices were outrageous too. $120 to install Windows? $70-80 just for the diagnostics?

ThirdMCC
02-24-2008, 07:15 PM
I went into the 10tv site, and got the list of questions the consumer should ask:
----------------------------------------------------------

Computer Questions From The Better Business Bureau
Questions you should ask a business before having your computer repaired.

1. May I have a written copy of your repair policy?

2. How much will you charge for checking out my computer problem? This is sometimes called the "diagnostic."

3. If the diagnostic is incorrect, will you still charge me? If the answer is "no," find out if the company is willing to split the difference of the diagnosis if you can prove that the technician found the wrong problem.

4. Is there a charge if my computer is not repairable? Do I still have to pay for the technician's time?

5. Will your technician walk me through the problem? You should be comfortable with computer lingo. The more you know, the less likely you are to get taken.

6. Are you willing to back up the hard drive?

7. How experienced are the technicians? Are they certified? The customer area should display trade school diplomas, certificates of advanced course work and certifications from a nationally recognized standard of technician competence, such as the Computer Technology Industry Association. That certification validates "the latest skills needed by today's computer support professionals," according to its Web site.

8. Does the company have any complaints with the BBB? Look for the number, nature and resolution rate of complaints.

----------------------------------------------------------

It seems all straightforward to me, until you get to #6. Yes, I will back up your hard drive if you want me to, but for an additional charge. Data backups are the customers responsibility, not mine, unless they want to pay me to protect their data. That doesnt mean that I am going to go out of my way to delete their files. But it doesnt mean that I am going to tell them that all will be perfect, if i do not know the status of the hard drive to begin with.

gunslinger
02-24-2008, 10:36 PM
I have problems with a few things on here. # 4 my time is not free. If it was how would I stay in business? # 5 This is like asking you to know all about the workings of your car before taking it to the mechanic. If they knew all this they most likely would fix it themselves. People bring us their computer because they are to lazy to learn about computers. The same reason I take my car to the mechanic. # 7 OMG I don't even know where to start on this one. Anyone who has been fixing computers for a few years will tell you if they are honest that certs make no difference at all any what so ever. I once had a a college professor of mine tell the class that if you password protect windows XP and forgot the password the only thing you could do was to reinstall windows. Me and about 6 other classmates of mine were just looking at him like he was insane. This guy had certs coming out of his ears and yet something as simple as bypassing the windows password was beyond his capabilities. He also had no clue about newer things like PCI E or DDR3 , both had been out for maybe a year or two at the time. Certs only mean the person has been in a classroom for x amount of hours, thats all.

Nathan H
02-25-2008, 01:33 AM
Yet again Gunslinger hit the nail on the head,

To the home user certs mean nothing!

I used to offer a no fix no fee system, at the time I figured it showed I was confident in my abilities, but after having 1 or 2 systems come in for repair in my early days which were unfix-able, but only figured that out after 3 hours of working on it.

I now KNOW my time is money. if I cannot fix a PC due to my lack of knowledge i will not charge them, not happened yet, mainly due to forums like this rather than by my genius - (I wish) If i cant get parts because there PC is that old i will tell them, but i will charge them for that.

After all business is business.