PDA

View Full Version : chkdsk ntfs on mac osx ??

jazz
08-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Hi Guys,

i'm a recent convert to MAC and just toying with OS with the intent of using it so i can in future support my clients using the operating system.

I installed Windows 7 w/ bootcamp.. it was all running fine till the battery ran out. I tried restarting after that and it would always get stuck at the grey screen of death.

I've tried the DiskAID to see what the issue was and it seems that the MFT has been flagged dirty as a result of an improper shutdown. On a PC it would be simple as all i'd have to do is boot from a cd and run the chkdsk on the ntfs volume to get it all working again. How do i do that on a MBP 2010 ??

Any ideas appreciated, as i dont wish to reformat and reinstall as that would defeat the idea of getting to learn how to go around troubleshooting issues like these :)

Thanks. :)

CD Computer Services
08-23-2010, 03:29 PM
The Mac equivalent of CHKDSK is "fsck".I would be cautious when using it on Max OS X 10.2 or later.I would rather boot into Safe Mode (for automatic check and repair of the volume) or use Disk Utility.

silvano
08-23-2010, 03:45 PM
couple utilities that come to mind:
DiscWarrior (fixes 75% of the problems I come across on a Mac that are software/harddrive/filesystem/permissions related) [Commercial]
Built-in Disk Utility which can be ran by booting off the OSX install CD and clicking the utilities menu.
ONYX lets you do that as well.

anonymous Mac Tech
08-23-2010, 05:21 PM
couple utilities that come to mind:
DiscWarrior (fixes 75% of the problems I come across on a Mac that are software/harddrive/filesystem/permissions related) [Commercial]
Built-in Disk Utility which can be ran by booting off the OSX install CD and clicking the utilities menu.
ONYX lets you do that as well.

Try a disk utility/repair first or fsck. If disk utility won't fix it, DiskWarrior will do it. If DiskWarrior won't do it, than either the drives possibly bad or else you'll need an OS reinstall. Your OEM installers will have Apple Hardware Test included if you want to run hardware diags on the machine. Just start with the disk inserted while holding the "D" key.

EDIT: Just paid closer attention to the original post. Disk Utility or DiskWarrior aren't going to touch the NTFS partition. Can the machine still boot OSX?

silvano
08-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Try a disk utility/repair first or fsck. If disk utility won't fix it, DiskWarrior will do it. If DiskWarrior won't do it, than either the drives possibly bad or else you'll need an OS reinstall. Your OEM installers will have Apple Hardware Test included if you want to run hardware diags on the machine. Just start with the disk inserted while holding the "D" key.

EDIT: Just paid closer attention to the original post. Disk Utility or DiskWarrior aren't going to touch the NTFS partition. Can the machine still boot OSX?
Missed that too. Would a windows disk and repair mode/cmd prompt do it on a mac?

anonymous Mac Tech
08-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Missed that too. Would a windows disk and repair mode/cmd prompt do it on a mac?

Really no way to get to a command prompt besides terminal but that's all Unix/FreeBSD, unless there is a Unix command for checking/repairing NTFS volumes? If UBCD4W has a way to do a chkdsk I'd go with that, because that should boot the machine.