PDA

View Full Version : Backup Devices - Promotion!

WireComputers
02-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Based on Bryce's article on how to market various services, I'm considering using a large 'backup devices' promotion to launch my business.

The idea is to offer an all in service (supply, install and configure) for a fixed, low price to drum up a lot of business and get my name out there. I was thinking along the lines of 99 or 125 for a 250 or 500GB external HDD, installation of schedulable backup software and completion of first backup.

How does this sound? Do you reckon it will have the desired effect of making my name known locally?

Cheers,

Jory
02-24-2008, 03:36 AM
Backup solutions are one of those things people are not willing to pay for until they've had a problem usually. You're better off offering a service that people typically pay for like a virus cleanup or basic maintenance. Make it clear your prices are so low because it's a marketing thing. You want attract everyone rather than just the cheap people. Someone might be willing to take a chance on a new guy if they're getting the service for half price.

Nathan H
02-24-2008, 09:06 PM
It could work quite well, what sort of back up device are you planning to use.

Personally I favour the Maxtor OneTouch4 it connects via USB2 and comes preconfigured with back up software which you can configure very easily.

I also has a large single button on the front, which when pessed runs the programmed back up (this is not needed as it can be set to run on schedual)

I have a 500GB and it has worked for me.

it is easy to recover data, but this has to be done manually, rather than automatically.

Suppose this could be good for business, getting paid to recover their data,(easily done) and the customer is very happy as there data is recovered.

WireComputers
02-24-2008, 10:15 PM
It could work quite well, what sort of back up device are you planning to use.

Personally I favour the Maxtor OneTouch4 it connects via USB2 and comes preconfigured with back up software which you can configure very easily.

I also has a large single button on the front, which when pessed runs the programmed back up (this is not needed as it can be set to run on schedual)

I have a 500GB and it has worked for me.

it is easy to recover data, but this has to be done manually, rather than automatically.

Suppose this could be good for business, getting paid to recover their data,(easily done) and the customer is very happy as there data is recovered.

It's funny you should mention the Maxtor, as that is precisely what I was intending to use. :) I've checked wholesale prices of the 500GB and 250GB models, and both would allow enough margin for a small profit on the job.

The other possibility was the WD elements drive, which is slightly cheaper and therefore would increase my margins - however it's not so simple for the customer to use.

TBH I hadn't actually considered the repeat business in terms of recovering their data, although that's an added bonus. I'm more concerned with getting my name out there and building a reputation.

I was thinking of advertising the promotion with a combination of flyer drops and a newspaper ad.