PDA

View Full Version : What Server Admin Software do you Use?

jsmith773
02-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Hey I have a customer who wants me to manage their network they have a server setup and about 25 nodes what server admin software would you use? what software is out there to make my job a lot easier? Everything from A/V to Diskeeping Software? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Blues
02-20-2008, 05:51 PM
What exactly are you looking for and what do you mean by admin software. It would also help to know what type system they are running. Server OS, Node(or I assume workstations) OS, A/V if any installed on Server and/or Nodes. Networking structure would be good such as what type of switches what is the DHCP host firewall does one exsist what type and where in the system is it. I can tell you these can become a big job quick becuase if it wasn't managed before then there is generaly some nasty misconfigred setups by someone who thought they knew what they were doing.

bishop
02-20-2008, 09:32 PM
I think something like Spiceworks is probably what you're talking about. We've been using it for about 6 months now. Excellent and FREE:)

jsmith773
02-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Hey well I spoke with the client in detail today. They basically have One computer in a home office. They need two computers setup at the shop they are working at. They want to be able to use quickbooks and they will introduce a laptop to the site every now and then.

I would recommend to build a network for the client with a server. They need to access resource on the two different computers at the shop and they need to be able to vpn to the network also. They do not have any pcs at the shop yet and they do not have any CRM software yet, they do want to implement some, probably something that is web baseed. They want to use quickbooks simultaneously on two different systems.

The info

2 Pcs at Catering Shop
1 Laptop every now & then
2 Offsite Pc's that need to VPN
Need to Share quicbooks and other applications across the network
Need to Transfer all files from Owners home computer to the site computers

The Solution

1 (SOHO maybe) Server w/ NOS (needs to support VPN and maybe HTTP)
Build 2 Pc's
NAS Solution
Linksys WAP
Maybe Caterease CaterTrax for CRM

What do you think what would you do I will probably post some pic from Network Notepad

generalj
02-22-2008, 11:13 PM
You may also check into Commit CRM. its really nice and has a web front end that you can setup for employees and customers if you want so they can check status of their work orders. The web front end was really easy to setup.

jsmith773
02-22-2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the info

I have looked in to the Commit Software and I plan to implement it. I was reffering to CRM software geared towards the Catering Business.

That is the type of business that nneds the network and software support.

I was thinking of running a SOHO server with xandros Home Premium. It is cost effective and easy to implemnt for their buget. What do you think about its compatibility with Microsoft Office and Quickbooks?

Sorry Guys Mixing up two jobs here because they have two different business with very seperate needs and when i spoke with the client orginally they explained to me their existing setup and when we met in person they explained what the actually needed