PDA

View Full Version : nVidia or ATI

Duality
05-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Which video card brand do you prefer? I prefer ATI because they always seem to be up to date with everything. I like nVidia as well but I like ATI more.

Stealth
05-29-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm very much tempted to say ATi, as they're very good performence, however, as of late manufacturers have been really sloppy with ATi cards - Sapphire now has one of the worst coolings on their X1x00 series, and they're generally losing their bang-for-buck compared to nVidia.

That said, I still would pick an ATi as my next card, but I'd know to shell out extra cash for a good heatsink.

Bryce W
05-30-2006, 04:15 AM
I am a nVidia man. I dont know why, its not based on specs, its not based on performance or price. My cards have always been nVidia so I guess its just a loyalty thing.

TSgtTree
05-30-2006, 10:42 AM
I've always been happy with Nvidia's products. I had a really hard time overclocking my ati card, but the nvidia was no problem at all.

Jura
05-30-2006, 02:47 PM
nVidia because the name sounds cooler. That, and it's just that I've gotten use to them.

MysteryMan
06-05-2006, 11:42 PM
I will be watching out this topic. I am going to buy a gfx card soon and it would be nice to know what the majority prefers. I personally think nVidia is slightly better, but the competetion is extremely close.

Jura
06-11-2006, 07:20 PM
They're both the same to much extent. If they weren't, they wouldn't be competing.

Hanger
06-23-2006, 05:55 PM
All I have ever used is Nvidia. Wifes machine has always had ATI.

TheUnknownOne
06-23-2006, 06:17 PM
I am a nVidia man. I dont know why, its not based on specs, its not based on performance or price. My cards have always been nVidia so I guess its just a loyalty thing.

I am the exact same as Bryce on this one.

illusion
06-23-2006, 07:19 PM
nVidia only because I have always gone the nVidia way, I haven't tried any other cards although I probably should go and try some of them I just haven't had the funds or time to try them

Shaun
06-23-2006, 07:23 PM
I've always used an ATi, probebly because they always seem to have the 'better' cards. I use them, my friends use them. I don't think i would change.

Blues
06-24-2006, 10:15 PM
I have only had nVidia but my laptop has ATI for its onboard but I will probly stick with nVidia as they are the ones using SLi correct although ATI does seem to have thier own alternative

Black_Hawk
06-25-2006, 02:58 AM
nVidia because I like green stuff :D

ebittner
07-17-2006, 04:33 AM
The only one that I have ever used is nVidia so I am going to have to say that I like it the best. I think they are also the best out there according to what I have read.

Bryce W
07-17-2006, 04:43 AM
Nearly all responses here (including mine) are loyalty related rather than what is the better video card, interesting. Though, it seems nVidia has the wider spread. Perhaps they focus on getting into more computer stores than nVidia?

Netman
07-18-2006, 10:22 AM
The only one that I have ever used in my whole life is nVidia so I am going to have to pick it I know nothing of the others.

spazmaster666
10-10-2006, 11:04 AM
I've owned both in the past. From the TNT2 to Geforce3 to FX5200 to 9700Pro to X850XT to 7900GT to my current card, the X1900XT. IMO, both companies have made some excellent cards and certainly there's no question that the Geforce 7950GX2 is the best SINGLE card out there in terms of performance. However, while nvidia has always impressed me with their excellent drivers, easily overclocking, and purevideo performance, ATI has always been better in terms of IQ (Image Quality) which IMO is of high importance in a high-end graphics card. For instance even with the 7950GX2, the angle-depedent anisotrophic filtering nvidia is using, even in HQ mode, is still quite inferior to ATI's angle-dependent AF, not to mention the shimmering. Also ATI cards have had the ability to use angle-independent AF ever since the X1K series was introduced, which markedly improves the image quality and reduces shimmering.

One thing that nvidia has done better than ATI in terms of implementation is SLI. While SLI is far from an applicable mainstream concept (it is still a niche market, regardless of what nvidiots will tell you) for high-end users and enthusiasts it nevertheless a great way to get a signficant jump in performance without having to wait for the next generation of cards to arrive. But to ATI's credit, Crossfire isn't really bad, it simply suffers from lack of driver maturity and from the generaly distaste within the enthusiast community of crossfire "dongles." Still with dongle-less crossfire being possible with forthcoming RD600 chipsets and better crossfire driver maturity, the playing field may once again be even.

Hopefully both companies will continue to produce good cards otherwise, the graphics card market will suffer the same fate as the sound card market. (Creative anyone?) Long live competition and low prices!

gunslinger
07-21-2007, 08:21 AM
nVidia is what i'm running right now, but i based this on what ever is running the highest proformance for the lowest price at the time i buy it.

darren1270
08-22-2007, 11:56 AM
nVidia has my vote too. Gotta remember I use Linux as well... ati just well to put it bluntly sucks with linux.

breadtrk
08-24-2007, 04:52 AM
Depends on what the mission is. ATI for movies, HTPC type stuff, mostly due to the AIW line.

Heavy Gaming definitely goes to Nvidia SLI, CrossFire is not even in the same ballpark yet.

For heavy production graphics or CAD, Nvidia because most of those programs are developed on Nvidia Quattro cards. Those are what I usually use for those machines as well.

Mom and Pop Internet and email PC? Usually go for an on-board chipset deal with no real preference about what chipset.

Fretzen
08-24-2007, 02:49 PM
I've always preferred ATI a little more than nVidia and almost every computer I build has an ATI inside. I feel more comfortable working with ATI cards, don't know why. I suppose is this strange loyalty thing. :)

In my own computer I do exactly the same as Gunslinger and I always choose the one who offers more bang for the buck at the moment. That's why I've had many nVidias and ATIs. Right now I have a 7600GT and have just put an X1950Pro into my brother's PC. I usually choose my cards opening side by side two browser windows, one with my distributor prices and the other one with Tom's Hardware VGA Charts.

I try to avoid on board vga cards even if it's a PC for internet and such. On those cases I prefer to throw in a very cheap ATI or nVidia, even with some shared memory (Hypermemory in ATI or Turbocache in nVidia) because I've always felt they make Windows work much smoother for a very small difference in money.

gunslinger
08-24-2007, 07:10 PM
The 7600GT just happens to be what i'm using right now. I have had it for about 6 months and have been very happy with it, even though its not really up to the rest of the system i built. I guess thats why I can only score 5.2 on the vista experience index. But if your not a high end hardcore gamer its just fine.

Noodle2732
08-29-2007, 03:45 AM
I've always used ATI and intend to keep using them mainly because i've never had an ATI card fail on me and theres more software out there to tweak them i.e. ATI Tray tools. Having said that i have a laptop that uses nVidia and i haven't come across any problems/difficulties with it. I also use Omega drivers with customers machines so 99.9% of the time i dont have to search for the right driver with either cards.

So its really just because i like to be able to tweak my settings to how i like them. :D