PDA

View Full Version : gateway no sound

lharding
02-18-2008, 12:13 PM
i have a gateway model no. atxstfmn2perl-1300 in my home appliance repair business. at some point the sound quit working. i hate to put the computer in the shop because it nearly shuts down my business when it is out of commission. the speakers are plugged in and the light is on telling me they have power. we have run through all the built in trouble shooting diagnostics to no avail. i am a do it yourself kind of guy, but am completely lost on computers, some help in down to earth language would really be appreciated.

nonchalant
02-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Ok, go to Start, control panel, system, hardware tab, device manager, then scroll down the list of devices and expand sound video and game controllers. Do you have a device listed there with an exclamation or question mark?

If yes, right click it and uninstall it. Then go back to the top of the list of devices and right click the computer device and click 'scan for hardware changes'. If windows reinstalls the device automatically and it no longer has a mark over it then try your speakers-they may now work.

If no to the above, go to control panel, and click on sounds and audio devices. Do you have a volume slide there you can move or is it greyed out? If you can slide it ok then check the lead from the speaker is plugged into the correct port (usually the green plug in the back of the PC but not always so try the others). If the slider option is greyed out the software for your sound device will need to be reinstalled either off the cd you got with it or you can download it off the manufacturers website.

EDIT: Also if you can plug the speakers into a friends PC and they dont work then they are faulty. If they are work ok, the problem is with your PC (either with the hardware sound chip/card, the software drivers, or the speaker cabling).

lharding
02-19-2008, 11:48 AM
o.k. tried that............. no luck. i am going to try the speakers in my home computer but i am doubtfull that is the answer. For what it is worth the sound quit while installing some program, but no one can remember which program it was.

nonchalant
02-19-2008, 11:52 AM
o.k. tried that............. no luck. i am going to try the speakers in my home computer but i am doubtfull that is the answer. For what it is worth the sound quit while installing some program, but no one can remember which program it was.

Then its a software problem.

What Antivirus are you using? Is it up to date and have you scanned recently?

lharding
02-19-2008, 01:36 PM
oops!!!! i tried my speakers from my home computer and they work! so my trouble is in the speakers. i checked the power supply..good voltage output.cord from computer to speaker has continuity. what is next?

nonchalant
02-19-2008, 01:43 PM
No - it means your speakers work, so the problem is with your computer.

As the problem started after a software install it is likely a software problem.

If its XP can you try and run system restore back to just before you installed that software?

lharding
02-19-2008, 03:56 PM
sorry i wasn't clear. the speakers from my home computer are working on the one i'm having trouble with, so the problem is in my speakers. again the power supply is putting power to the speakers and the cord that connects the speakers to the comp. has contunity. there must be some electronics in the speakers themseves that is not right.

nonchalant
02-20-2008, 12:34 AM
Ok, so plug the speakers into your home computer. If they dont work on that PC either then their dead.

lharding
02-20-2008, 11:23 AM
thlanks for the help. a friend gave me an extra set of speakers he had and im back in business.

Bryce W
02-20-2008, 12:34 PM
This is why its always a good idea to check the obvious first. Ive once been caught out opening up a computer case to see why the machine wont boot, only to find it was unplugged. *slaps forehead*

ThirdMCC
02-24-2008, 05:53 PM
i hate to put the computer in the shop because it nearly shuts down my business when it is out of commission.

I am glad to hear that your sound issue has been resolved, but I think you need to address a more serious issue. If your business nearly shuts down because it can not function without a computer, then you NEED a backup computer. Probably doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something that will keep you going until the main machine is repaired. A local tech may be able to build you what you need for low cost.