PDA

View Full Version : Windows Domain Implementation

ZenMike
08-14-2010, 12:43 AM
What are good resources for Windows Domain planning and implementation? Specifically things like, whether to name the domain business.com or business.local? Should the PDC always be the DNS/DHCP server, or should those tasks be off-loaded? Should DHCP even be used in many cases or are static IPs better?

Most of my clients are small businesses that don't have Windows servers, but I've got a couple and am growing, so I want to be prepared.

ProTech Support
08-14-2010, 07:42 AM
I always make the PDC the DNS server, just the way I was taught. I have this great e-book on creating domains that I printed out and put in a binder. Let me see if I can locate it and share it with you. It is based on Server 2003, but still gives you the fundamentals you need to know.

ZenMike
08-14-2010, 12:48 PM
I always make the PDC the DNS server, just the way I was taught. I have this great e-book on creating domains that I printed out and put in a binder. Let me see if I can locate it and share it with you. It is based on Server 2003, but still gives you the fundamentals you need to know.

That would be great. Thanks.

Alan22
08-14-2010, 01:44 PM
This may be a good place to start learning: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/default.aspx

coreyspeed
08-15-2010, 10:24 AM
would also be intrestted in that book if you manage to find it

ATSCF
08-16-2010, 02:28 PM
I wouldn't name the local domain .com (although I work with 2 companies who did but there are work arounds).

Instead of .local register .net and just use inside domain.

Pick yourself up one of the unleashed books on SBS 2008 or Windows 2008 from amazon. They explain everything you will want to know pretty good.

There is no PDC anymore with active directory. I would make the DC a DHCP server too. If you will have 2 DC then they will both be DNS and GC and then you can split the DHCP range between the servers so if one ever goes down nothing will be affected. Things will be affected but not noticable to them.

There is a lot to AD so I suggest on reading up on it.

MobileTechie
08-16-2010, 02:35 PM
What are good resources for Windows Domain planning and implementation? Specifically things like, whether to name the domain business.com or business.local? Should the PDC always be the DNS/DHCP server, or should those tasks be off-loaded? Should DHCP even be used in many cases or are static IPs better?

Most of my clients are small businesses that don't have Windows servers, but I've got a couple and am growing, so I want to be prepared.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to do the MS server exams. This is exactly the sort of thing they cover - the official MS way of doing everything. The books are a good resource anyway.

The domain name doesn't actually matter as it's just a name in the DNS namespace, but unless they are a .com firm with then you usually don't use .com but rather .internal .local or whatever.

PDC doesn't need to be the DNS or DHCP server. It all depends on the size of the network, number of servers available and the amount of traffic. If it's relatively small firm then it's fine to use one server for all 3 tasks. But one server and its network interface can slow down if it's trying to do to much on a larger, more complex network. It's really a performance consideration. If you have multiple sites with WAN connectiosn then you might not want DHCP and DNS requests going over the slower WAN link.

DHCP is almost always the way forward, except for static devices such as printers and the servers themselves. Everything else is DHCP.

ZenMike
08-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Excellent tips ATSCF and MobileTechie. That's exactly what I was curious about. I'll look for those additional resources.